Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Acolatse 1 0.36%
Agostino 12 4.35%
Arnold 69 25.00%
Billins 0 0%
Carroll 0 0%
Culkin 0 0%
Cundari 0 0%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Ferland 20 7.25%
Gilmour 0 0%
Hanowski 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hickey 1 0.36%
Jooris 0 0%
Kanzig 10 3.62%
Knight 21 7.61%
Kulak 26 9.42%
McDonald 2 0.72%
Ollas Mattson 0 0%
Rafikov 0 0%
Ramage 0 0%
Roy 0 0%
Sieloff 106 38.41%
Smith 2 0.72%
Thiessen 0 0%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 6 2.17%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #61
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
He reminds me of Cory Sarich in a lot of ways.
Top 4 potential, the ability to impact the game with a big hit, smart liability-free defence, with 0 offense.
There was more offensive potential with Cory Sarich, which why IMO he was a 2nd pairing dman for a couple years. I don't think Sieloff will have that opportunity.

Draft year
Sarich - .390 ppg WHL
Sieloff - .083 ppg USHL

Draft +1
Sarich - .570 ppg WHL
Sieloff - .244 ppg WHL

Draft +2
Sarich - .879 ppg WHL
Sieloff - injured
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #62
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
I don't understand why people like Pat Sieloff!!!

Can someone please post a video or some kind of defence of this prospect? Guy has played basically zero hockey in the last two seasons and has never put up points or done anything other than lay a couple of hard checks. He wasn't the star of the USA team he was a part of...

I just don't get it. This is the most all-hype no-substance prospect I've seen in the Flames org. for a long time.

Are two videos in a quick YouTube search I can find that demonstrate what we hope Sieloff will bring to the table. Leadership and a big body he's not afraid to use. Immensely valuable on a team with a few small and very valuable players.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #63
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post

Are two videos in a quick YouTube search I can find that demonstrate what we hope Sieloff will bring to the table. Leadership and a big body he's not afraid to use. Immensely valuable on a team with a few small and very valuable players.
Colour me underwhelmed.

I think a year in the pros is really going to expose how one-dimensional his game is.

Unless he managed to elevate his game WHILE recovering from two different and serious setbacks, I don't think he'll ever wear the Flaming C for more than a cup of coffee, Chris Breen style.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #64
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me, Sieloff is a guy that absolutely prides himself on being a hard hitting, not-going-to-get-past-me defender who doesn't focus on offense what so ever. I remember my dad (an former NHLer) talking about Regehr in a similar way to a few posters in here.

"If I was on his team, I would hate looking back and seeing that guy on the point knowing that you're not going to get a point or goal that shift"

My counter was:

"What if you're on the other team and look back and thinking the same thing because you're not going to get past that guy?"

He said he never looked at it that way. A forward vs a defenseman in that argument. He couldn't fathom how Regehr could go a whole season with 1 or 2 goals but be a top defender, not understanding that some defencemen just don't concern themselves with that part of the game at all. Is it a hit to your offense while he's on the ice? Probably, nothing that I would say is overly significant though.

Sieloff seems like a guy who knows what he is and how he can best help out a team. This, too me, lends to his maturity (which is also a noted asset) as you see guys like Kulak and Culkin who maybe aren't sure of what they are so their doing their best to be all-around while not actually excelling at anything*. Offensive punch just isn't a focus for him. Sarich and Regehr would have flashes of offensive prowess every once in a while and to me that just shows it's not a lack of ability, but just a different mindset.
Some defenseman don't focus enough on the d-end but are immensely talented offensively. I see this as no different but the reverse. The well rounded guys like Wotherspoon, Culkin, Kulak are nice, but sometimes specialty players make a huge difference.

* I admittedly don't know much about Kulak or Culkin, so personally my reasoning for putting Seiloff over them is by seeing him more and by the fact that he likely would have seen NHL action last year if it hadn't been for his injury. And as far as that goes, sometimes it can be good for a young guy to watch. Being on the IR can certainly be a hindrance, but when he's likely already at the point of physically being able to play in the NHL, being able to watch from above doesn't hurt.

Last edited by Coach; 07-23-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #65
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I made my list a week and a half a ago, and I have been following it so far. So I'm jumping on the Kanzig wagon next, I fear I may be there for a while the way things are going.

I think there is a big chance he will be Hal Gil reincarnate in about 2 years. there are a few guys with a small chance of being better, but a big unmovable 19 min/game dman is something to look forward to.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #66
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Colour me underwhelmed.

I think a year in the pros is really going to expose how one-dimensional his game is.

Unless he managed to elevate his game WHILE recovering from two different and serious setbacks, I don't think he'll ever wear the Flaming C for more than a cup of coffee, Chris Breen style.
Well obviously not...

And you may not love his game, but it's tough not to see how his potential isn't of value to our team. We have a good mobile defence, but Giordano is the most punishing defender we have. Kronwall is well appreciated by the Red Wings, and you can make a pretty good argument that he is one-dimensional as well. He gets a lot of touches for points, but watching his game it's pretty clear he's the benefactor more than the initiator of a goal.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #67
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I haven't seen the upside that a lot of posters seem to in regard to Sieloff. I like that he is a physical player and he's a good skater who plays competitively, but this stuff about him playing in the NHL this year or that he would have outplayed Wotherspoon last year if not for the injury doesn't match up with what I have seen from him.

Hopefully the supporters are right because it would be great to have a heavy-hitting defensive defenseman on the cusp right now. Kulak > Sieloff for me until I see more out of him.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #68
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't say whether or not he would have ended up being a better option than Wotherspoon, but most reports and quotes seemed to indicate that Sieloff would have likely been the first D call-up had he not been injured.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #69
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Went with Ferland. I think he could have 2nd line powerforward upside.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:45 PM   #70
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

voted agostino, hype for this kid is non-existant

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #71
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like Kulak, I think he has a real shot at being an NHL defenceman 4/5/6 spot in a D corps.
He separates himself from the other D due to his shot and poise on the ice. I think he will be this year what Wotherspoon was last year - a fast riser in the depth charts.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #72
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I made my list a week and a half a ago, and I have been following it so far. So I'm jumping on the Kanzig wagon next, I fear I may be there for a while the way things are going.

I think there is a big chance he will be Hal Gil reincarnate in about 2 years. there are a few guys with a small chance of being better, but a big unmovable 19 min/game dman is something to look forward to.
I'm with you on that. I hope he makes it, it would be great to have a defenceman who is big and mean enough to move Lucic type wingers out of the goal crease.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #73
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
voted agostino, hype for this kid is non-existant
Hasn't impressed me at all
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #74
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think Arnold will play more NHL games than 3-4 players in our top ten.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #75
FeyWest
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Went Kulak trying not to be positionally biased, I think I'd rather pick Kulak over Arnold if I could only choose one and given who we have already in the previous 11. But I rank Arnold 13 after Kulak at 12
"As far as I'm concerned I take it one day at a time because if you look too far down the road that's when you get yourself in trouble. You've gotta enjoy the process and not be burdened by the outcome." - Jon Gillies
FeyWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #76
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That kind of hitting is a liability. You miss one of those and you're out of position, heck you aren't even in the right zone anymore.
I've never heard anything about Sieloff missing his open ice hits. He seems to pick his spots well, and it's not like he relies solely on open ice hits to defend. He is a good skater and competes hard on the boards.

Quote:
I don't see how that kind of player wins a championship, or even stays healthy enough to play for a full season.
In the playoffs (especially in the last few) the competitive, stay-at-home defenders have proven to be a valuable commodity for recent championship teams. I think it's a part of the reason why a player like Crosby has been so ineffective in recent playoffs.

As far as my vote goes I feel like Arnold or Agostino (chose Arnold) will be long time NHLers because they always make the right plays on the ice.

Last edited by mile; 07-23-2014 at 02:40 PM.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #77
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
curious how people would rank Arnold vs Knight ?
As close to a coin flip as you could ever have IMO.

Similar game, similar skill set, similar path to get here, and the same chance at becoming a regular NHLer.

Hopefully one of them can take that next step. It is far from a certainty for either, but if one of them can, it's a big win for the organization.

To me, having the two of them just means double the chances that we get an NHLer out of them.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:58 PM   #78
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That kind of hitting is a liability. You miss one of those and you're out of position, heck you aren't even in the right zone anymore.

AC, you'd be the guy to ask about a highlight package, you have any clips kicking around?

And I know it's round twelve, but Sieloff has been getting votes since round 2.

I don't see how that kind of player wins a championship, or even stays healthy enough to play for a full season.
I think Sieloff gets votes because of draft position rather than what he has shown since being drafted. To me a guy like Kulak is better right now AND has a higher ceiling
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #79
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Sieloff because of what I've SEEN. He was fantastic last year in development camp and was great again this year despite still recovering.

He is extremely hard to play against and as a defender that is very valuable.

He will play for the Flames sooner or later.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #80
N26
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Somewhat interestingly Sieloff went from 90 votes last round to 106 this round. So it looks like very few of the Jankowski supporters from the previous round had him next on their lists.
N26 is offline   Reply With Quote