Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2014, 10:03 PM   #81
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hopefully he continues to improve. His next contract might get him closer to what his dad makes.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #82
jesters91
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nothing to see here, and by nothing I mean negative, now move along.
Good term. Good dollars. Good deal.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #83
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehkara View Post
I can see Colborne being a 20/45 guy in the future on the wing. He seems to work well with Backlund and Monahan both.

It's my hope that Colborne becomes the 21st century version of Joel Otto on the Flames next championship team. I think he'll end up taking a lot of faceoffs whether he plays wing or centre.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #84
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good to hear they avoided arbitration. Colborne signing was very reasonable. The kid with his size, skating and soft hands is just going to get better. He has the potential to be hitting 20 goals within 2 years.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:12 PM   #85
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=726909

As a fan I love reading these kind of comments. Doesn't care where he plays, he just wants to go out and help win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehkara View Post
Colborne's a keeper.
Colborne to goalie position.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:21 PM   #86
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Colborne to goalie position.
I had that thought right after I posted it but I thought it was kind of funny so it stayed.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #87
Monahan23
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Flames posted this on Youtube
Monahan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Monahan23 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #88
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am enjoying the defensive plays on highlight reels a lot. AC's Gaudreau WC highlights video had the first highlight of him breaking up an odd man rush through hard backchecking.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:10 AM   #89
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Colborne was really frustrating early on but turned into one of the more interesting players once he became a winger. Even has a career 3rd liner he has a great tool box:

- He fills a huge hole on the shootout
- He's a winger that is drawn to centre ice, so he likes being around the net
- He can take a faceoff as a winger
- He has size, skill in tight, and speed

If only Colborne threw his body around and blocked shots. He also looks a little disinterested at times. He could be a great power forward if he brings more energy to his game.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #90
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
If only Colborne threw his body around and blocked shots. He also looks a little disinterested at times. He could be a great power forward if he brings more energy to his game.
That is what is so frustrating when you watch him. Imagine if he played with a chip on his shoulder how good he could be.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:15 AM   #91
jemjey
Scoring Winger

Exp:

agreed he could use his body more but i think that will come with time, once he builds up confidence and strength.

but damn is he good in shootouts
jemjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:34 AM   #92
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
That is what is so frustrating when you watch him. Imagine if he played with a chip on his shoulder how good he could be.
That's just not his game IMO. I'd be surprised if he ever gets much more physical, doesn't mean he's a bad player though. Could still become a 15-20 goal 40-50 point 2nd line guy, but expecting him to suddenly start playing a power game is probably setting yourself up for disappointment.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #93
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will be fine if guys like Colborne, Jankowski, Hayes (if he comes here) don't play a huge physical game. They still become very hard to handle and match-up against. They will be big men who will be hard to contain and will drain the other team in trying to do so. Match up against a very big but relatively non-physical team in the playoffs, and it is still a difficult thing to do (though in the playoffs, suddenly you have non-physical guys throwing their weight around too).

We all would really love to see them lay out huge hits and make life miserable for the opposing team, but just being tough to play against due to their size, strength and mobility goes a long way in itself. Just trying to match up against a bunch of 6'4"+ guys on the team with some skill is no easy task, overly-physical or not.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #94
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
That's just not his game IMO. I'd be surprised if he ever gets much more physical, doesn't mean he's a bad player though. Could still become a 15-20 goal 40-50 point 2nd line guy, but expecting him to suddenly start playing a power game is probably setting yourself up for disappointment.
Exactly. Fill him out completely - and his size, strength and reach could make it almost impossible to take him off the puck, and vice versa.
Doesn't need to be that physical - but needs to use that size and strength.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #95
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There are many positives and intangible assets to physical play on the ice. One factor to consider however, is that this crash-and-bang style of play leaves players more injury prone or subject to freak accidents (see T. Hall).

If Joe can utilize his skill and puck possession then I'd rather see him play to his strengths for 82 games rather then go out of his comfort zone and risk injury with physical play.

We have other players that can set the tone in that regard. Joe still makes room for his teammates with his large frame and great fore checking ability. His added weight this summer will almost definitely help his puck possession game (provided he hasn't slowed down in the process).
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:39 PM   #96
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

He's a little bit like Kotalik was, big body, good hands but not confident/determined enough to be a consistent contributor. People can change though, it's hard but maybe one year we'll see him score 20 or 30 if he can put it all together. Monahan got atleast 10 from just being setup and ready to shoot in the right place at the right time, if Colborne could learn that he'd be a better player immediately instead of being out of the play so much.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:09 PM   #97
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
He's a little bit like Kotalik was, big body, good hands but not confident/determined enough to be a consistent contributor. People can change though, it's hard but maybe one year we'll see him score 20 or 30 if he can put it all together. Monahan got atleast 10 from just being setup and ready to shoot in the right place at the right time, if Colborne could learn that he'd be a better player immediately instead of being out of the play so much.

While that would be amazing, hockey IQ and vision on the ice is almost as hard to teach as size.

Monahan isn't as flashy or skilled as Colborne, but it's that hockey IQ/vision that made him a 6 Overall pick with top-6 upside and a high chance of meeting his ceiling.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #98
Scoreface
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I hope leg work is the big thing this off season with Colborne and Gaudreau. Puke in a pail when doing squats. That's part of being a true athlete.
Scoreface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #99
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Puking from exertion while doing squats would lead to injuries, but doing a lot would benefit both guys yes.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:42 PM   #100
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
While that would be amazing, hockey IQ and vision on the ice is almost as hard to teach as size.

Monahan isn't as flashy or skilled as Colborne, but it's that hockey IQ/vision that made him a 6 Overall pick with top-6 upside and a high chance of meeting his ceiling.
Maybe "not as flashy" (although I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, nor how Colborne qualifies as "flashy"), but Sean Monahan is absolutely more skilled than Joe Colborne. I believe he was voted the best stick handler in the OHL in his draft year, and topped his own draft class for hand-eye coordination. He hasn't really taken the opportunity to show it at the NHL level yet, but he is a very highly skilled player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: