Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #21
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Colorado would have a good playoff run this year but I was very wrong. I think they will be contenders next season and probably beyond that as well however the loss of Stastny could be a big blow to the team.

Iggy has a reasonable chance of winning a cup with Colorado.

With regards to the list, I completely agree that Ovechkin will not win a cup.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #22
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Landeskog-Duchene-Mckinnon
Tanguay-O'Reilly-Iginla
Mcginn-Briere-Mitchell
Macleod-Talbot-Bordleau

Johnson-Barrie
Stuart-Hejda
Wlison-Sarich
Benoit-Redmond
Elliott-Guinen

Varlomov
Berra

The Avs are absolutely a playoff team. These lines are just random and they wont be close to what they actually use, but theyre stacked at the forward position and they have lots of options on D. Varlomov can be considered a top goalie in this league after last season

They have guys who can play several positions which is huge. Theirs centres are Duchene, Mckinnon, O'Reilly, Briere, Talbot and Mitchell
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkle View Post
He could have stayed in Boston, a legitimate contender, for 2 mill.

Jarome's time in Calgary had come to an end. I don't think he wanted to be in the rebuild.
I completely agree, but I think he should have stuck around on short deals on legit contenders rather than rolling the dice with Colorado for cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I agree that Colorado wasn't the best choice as a Cup contender, but they are FAR from the worst choice and it wouldn't necessarily be a surprise to see them win in the next couple years, but it would be a tough go.

If he really wanted the cup he could have signed 1 year 1 mil with an LA or Chicago ala Brad Richards, but Iggy doesn't have the benefit of a 60 million dollar buyout (or whatever it was).
They are far from the worst choice, I agree, but they are equally far from the best choice.

Iggy's career earnings of $84M is hardly something to sneeze at either.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #24
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colorado was one of the top teams this past year and are only getting better.

Not sure how this writer counts the Avs out so quick pretty ballsy to write an article like that IMO.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #25
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Former Flames turned Avs: Iggy, Tanguay, Sarich, Berra...I'll count Brad Stuart even if he was a rental.

Avs vs Flames gonna be more interesting, it's like old school Flames vs rebuilding Flames.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #26
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

What it takes to win the SC:.....

Value contracts... Kids playing on their ELC or guys that signed on the cheap and out-played expectations.

LA - Great core - Doughty, Kopitar, Williams, Dustin Brown, Kopitar as a rental.... they don't win the SC last year without Tyler Toffoli, .7M , Muzzin 1 M, Martinez 1.1M, Tanner Pearson .7M, - 4 major contributors for less than 4M plus add in Gaborick at the .7M cap hit.

The reason that Pitts with the same kind of high end talent fails is that they had 2 guys Beau Bennett and Olli Maatta making less than a Mil making a contribution... Their rental Stempniak @ .5M disappeared in the playoffs.

When Chi won it 2 years ago there was Saad, Bollig, Shaw, Ben Smith all playing much better than their < 700k salaries

On Colorado there is 2 years left of MacKinnon on the cheap and no one else on the cheap that can be counted on to deliver. Landeskog, Duschense, O'Rielly are all making the big bucks.

Iginla would have had a better chance to win the SC with the Flames in 2/3 years as there will be a lot of players playing better than their contract:

2 years of Monahan , 4 years of Bennett, Gaudreau in his first RFA contract, 3 years of Poirier, 2 more years of Wootherspoon and Sieloff.

Last edited by ricardodw; 07-17-2014 at 02:22 PM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Former Flames turned Avs: Iggy, Tanguay, Sarich, Berra...I'll count Brad Stuart even if he was a rental.

Avs vs Flames gonna be more interesting, it's like old school Flames vs rebuilding Flames.
Reminds me of the Coyotes having success with a bunch of Flames retreads.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #28
1234iggykipper
Draft Pick

Flames

Quote:
Well, the Canucks were three games up on Boston. They were one win away for four games...so I'd say Luongo was closer than Iginla
??? the home team won every game of that series until the 7th game. Both Iggy and Luongo had a chance to win it in game 6 and Iggy had the chance to do it at home. I would say Iginla was closer.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #29
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
Stupid article is stupid. Colorado may not be a favourite, but they can certainly be in the mix in a couple years. Mackinnon started off relatively slow and eventually dominated on most nights.

Take into account all their young studs being more mature and are fired up to be playing with Iginla. Lets not forget that Iggy has been an allstar since many of those guys were kids. I'd rather have that guy on my team then Stasny who peaked at 22.

Also take into account that Iggy signed onto a team that can afford him, where as Boston, L.A, Chicago ETC can't sign him to 15mil over 3 years. Colorado had the cap space and has the potential.
He could have signed for less money/term you know
Old 07-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #30
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Unfortunately I disagree. They'll be in the mix, but based on the moves right now I see the West being dominated by Chicago, LA, Anaheim and St. Louis for the foreseeable future.

I think Iggy made a mistake. In my own humble and ignorant opinion he should have played the mercenary on cheap 1 year deals until he won the Cup and then settled somewhere and earned his $16M.

I honestly believe he could have had both but settled on the sure thing.
That's very hard to predict. He already tried it twice and came up short. He could end up bouncing around the rest of his career and be wrong every year. I think its wiser to sign a few seasons with a team that is most likely on its way up. I actually think it was a wise decision for Iginla. No one can guarantee a cup in any scenario.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #31
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well, the Canucks were three games up on Boston. They were one win away for four games...so I'd say Luongo was closer than Iginla
?? We were also one win away, and our Game 7 went to OT - So Iggy was closer. Luongo was 5 goals away from winning.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #32
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Iginla has a really good chance still. With guys like Landeskog, Duchesne and MacKinnon only getting better, Iginla won't be looked upon to be such a key contributor, but he'll still bring fortth worthwhile contributions. They have to shore up their defense group, and while landing a stud #1 defenseman will go a long way to bring a cup to Colorado, they don't need that #1 stud D to win, but they can't go with a mishmash of defensemen and hope for lightning in a bottle either.

Of the guys in that article, Iginla still has a fair chance to win the Cup.

Joe Thornton was never going to win a Cup. The player is he is the type of player you look for to lead your team to the promised land but there is something about him that just says he isn't a leader. Had needed to be the #2 go to guy, but was always looked upon as the #1 guy with a good surrounding cast.

There was a time when it looked like Ovechkin could have been the guy to lead his team to the Cup but he's just a great goal scorer who needs a team built around him to cover up his lack of desire to play a full game.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #33
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Colorado can do it. I don't think they are a shoe-in, but not to many people thought LA was either in their 2 wins, and most people thought Pittsburgh and Boston were obvious choices.

I think he let money play a roll, Colorado has a decent chance still.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #34
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering game six went to OT (never mind the Flames already scoring) Iggy was 1mm away from the cup
Old 07-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #35
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stupid article. while Iggy, Lou and Jumbo Joe are almost out of time the other 3 have plenty of time. Weber, Kessel and Ovechkin will play 10+ more years each, how the hell can you say none of them will win a cup?

As for Iggy, even if he picked Chi or L.A. he would still be in tough to win it. IMO any of the top 6 teams in the West or the top 2-3 teams in the East have a decent shot at winning.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #36
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vegas has the Avs at 18-1
Old 07-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #37
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
That's very hard to predict. He already tried it twice and came up short. He could end up bouncing around the rest of his career and be wrong every year. I think its wiser to sign a few seasons with a team that is most likely on its way up. I actually think it was a wise decision for Iginla. No one can guarantee a cup in any scenario.
True, but to me, it seemed like it would have made the most sense to stay with Boston for another year (rather then bouncing around). At least you know they are going to be a contender next year.

Colorado did not look good in the playoffs, and that wasn't against any of the 3 clear top 3 teams (LA, Chicago, Anahaim). It wasn't even against the tier 2's (IMO SJ and St Louis). It was against Minnisota. IMO Colorado is a a tier below LA, Chicago, Anahaim and St Louis for the next 2 years, and more on the level of Minnisota, San Jose. I see them as a team that will be in that 6th-10th spot, though more likely slotting in at the 7th or so.

I wish Iginla would have taken a Kariya-like contract with Boston for a year and see how things shake down on other payrolls. Maybe he'll come home for a year when he's 41 and Gaudraeu and Bennett are on their last year ELC and we're contenders then.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #38
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

The reason that the Flames did not go deep in the playoffs from 2005-09 is that they did not have value contracts. The only guy on an ELC that made a significant contribution over those 4 years was Phanuef. And he and his ELC was probably the reason the Flames made the playoff all the time.

The only true value contracts over that period was Glencross and Conroy's second last year.

The Flames needed one or 2 of Chucko, Pelech, Nemiscz or other draft pick to pull a Brodie and become a major contributor
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #39
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
?? We were also one win away, and our Game 7 went to OT - So Iggy was closer. Luongo was 5 goals away from winning.
Game 7 didn't go to OT.

Remember the Khabby save on Leopold at the end to seal it for TB in the 3rd

Game 6 was OT for the cup for Calgary.

Freaking Leg whip got St Louis in all alone on Kipper.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #40
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think Colorado can do it. I don't think they are a shoe-in, but not to many people thought LA was either in their 2 wins, and most people thought Pittsburgh and Boston were obvious choices.

I think he let money play a roll, Colorado has a decent chance still.
LA and Boston was my prediction for the cup finals

I never thought of Pittsburgh as a contender last year....