Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Minor 2014 Off-season signings

Don't want to step on anyone's toes but I remember in years past we've had an ongoing thread for signings that don't warrant their own thread, thought it might be a good idea! A few today:

Panthers sign RFA Dylan Olsen to a two year deal
Islanders sign RFA Casey Cizikas to a two year deal worth 2 million
Islanders sign RFA Calvin de Haan to a three year deal worth 5.9 million

Last edited by Jables16; 07-15-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Jables16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jables16 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A bit less publicized than the Sam Reinhart deal but a few other teams have already locked up their first round picks from this year:

Stars sign Julius Honka (taken 14th overall this year) to a 3 year ELC with a cap hit of $925,000. Including performance and signing bonuses the AAV is 1.425 million.

Penguins sign Kasperi Kapanen (taken 20th overall this year) to a 3 year ELC with a cap hit and AAV of $925,000.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also of note, UFA Jordan Schroeder, who hockey guru John Garrett predicted would step in and establish himself in the absence of an injured Ryan Kesler at the start of last season, has signed with the Minnesota Wild after not receiving a QO from the Canucks. It's a two-year two-way contract with cap hit and AAV of $600,000 at the NHL level and $125,000 at the AHL level.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #4
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zack Dalpe (played 55 games with the Canucks last year) signed with Buffalo.

Fledgling Senators prospect/fringe player Stéphane Da Costa signed with the KHL.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 07-16-2014 at 09:19 AM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Renaud Lavoie@renlavoietva5 mins

Bruins signed Jordan Caron. 1 year at $600 000. One way contract. #tvasports

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Another first rounder under contract, the Nashville Predators sign Kevin Fiala (taken 11th overall this year) to a three-year ELC. They seem pretty high on this kid.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
Headshot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Leafs re-sign Holland:

TSN Hockey
@TSNHockey
Toronto Maple Leafs sign Peter Holland to a two-year, one-way contract. #TSN #NHL #TMLTalk
Headshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables16 View Post
Also of note, UFA Jordan Schroeder, who hockey guru John Garrett predicted would step in and establish himself in the absence of an injured Ryan Kesler at the start of last season, has signed with the Minnesota Wild after not receiving a QO from the Canucks. It's a two-year two-way contract with cap hit and AAV of $600,000 at the NHL level and $125,000 at the AHL level.
Surprised this hasn't been discussed more. The Canucks are incredibly brutal at drafting and developing since the 04 lockout... The only players that have played NHL games and are worth mentioning are Raymond (456 games, not resigned), Grabner (283 games, traded with a 1st rounder for Ballard who they bought out) and Hodgson (211 games, traded for Kassian, who blows).

That's it! Schroeder's 56 games and 15 points is their next best developed player.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Surprised this hasn't been discussed more. The Canucks are incredibly brutal at drafting and developing since the 04 lockout... The only players that have played NHL games and are worth mentioning are Raymond (456 games, not resigned), Grabner (283 games, traded with a 1st rounder for Ballard who they bought out) and Hodgson (211 games, traded for Kassian, who blows).

That's it! Schroeder's 56 games and 15 points is their next best developed player.
It is pretty surprising that on CP of all places something like this would fly under the radar. There was a bit of talk about how he wasn't qualified but maybe people assumed the Canucks were just trying to avoid arbitration like the Flames did with Byron?

Either way you're definitely right, the Canucks drafted horribly under Gillis and are paying the price for it now. I'm sure in their fanbase Gillis will become their Darryl Sutter in terms of player development rage.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:11 PM   #10
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

You're missing Jannick Hansen. Who is a decent. Eddie Lack, who made his debut last season, and is not bad. As well as Cory Schenider who was good, then they traded him away to keep Luongo, who they traded away.

But yeah, one core player in 10 years is atrocious.

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 07-16-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #11
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
You're missing Jannick Hansen. Who is a decent. Eddie Lack, who made his debut last season, and is not bad. As well as Cory Schenider who was good, then they traded him away to keep Luongo, who they traded away.

Technically Lack was a free agent signing.

edit: Sorry, I see it wasn't specified to be drafted players.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 07-16-2014 at 04:00 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

detroit signed dan cleary to a 1 year $1.5m deal. it cemented me becoming a former wings fan... the guy put up 8 points in 52 games and was atrocious. and the wings re-signed him. ken holland has continued to show he was never the brains in the wings organization. you look at nill in dallas and what he has done to see who was the smart one.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A couple more notable RFAs being signed today:

San Jose Sharks re-sign RFA Jason Demers to a two-year one-way contract 3.4 million AAV and cap hit. He will be UFA at the end of the deal. Could see this being a comparable when it comes time to re-up Brodie.

The Minnesota Wild re-sign RFA Jason Zucker to a two-year two-way contract worth $900,250 AAV and cap hit. Pretty good deal for a player that seems primed to break out.

The Wild also re-sign RFA Jonathan Blum to a one-year two-way contract with a cap hit and AAV of $675,000 at the NHL level and $175,000 at the AHL level. Could be the last kick at the can for Blum in Minnesota with the prospects they have coming.

The Colorado Avalanche re-sign RFA Stefan Elliot to a one-year two-way contract with a cap hit and AAV of $850,500 at the NHL level and $67,500 at the AHL level. Will probably get every chance to be a full time NHLer this year.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #14
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Florida re-signed Brandon Pirri to a 2 year contract.

Tampa re-signed Richard Panik to a 1 year, 2-way deal worth $735,000.

Toronto re-signed Carter Ashton to a 1 year, 2-way deal worth $850,500.

Winnipeg re-signed Carl Klingberg to a 1 year, 2 way deal worth $650,000.

Last edited by AC; 07-16-2014 at 05:02 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #15
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post

Yeah, I should have said after 2005. Both Hansen and Schneider were 04 picks. I forgot that there were two drafts between the end of 2004 playoffs and the next time hockey was played.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #16
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pirri could have a breakout year with the Panthers. Also, Tallon seems quite loyal to former players and draft picks. How many former Hawks have come to the Panthers now? Pirri, Olsen, Versteeg, Bolland, Kopecky, Campbell, Skille, Madden...
Old 07-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #17
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables16 View Post
Pirri could have a breakout year with the Panthers. Also, Tallon seems quite loyal to former players and draft picks. How many former Hawks have come to the Panthers now? Pirri, Olsen, Versteeg, Bolland, Kopecky, Campbell, Skille, Madden...
Jimmy Hayes also.
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #18
Jables16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Florida Panthers re-sign RFA Dmitry Kulikov to a three-year contract worth 13 million with an AAV and cap hit of $4,333,333, no variances per year. He'll be UFA at end of the deal.

Have to think the Panthers are banking on him breaking out this year, his numbers have been decent, not quite enough to justify that kind of cash IMO. However, the Panthers look ready to move out of lottery territory so maybe it'll be a good year for him.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #19
Monahan23
Scoring Winger

Exp:

NHL on NBC ‏@NHLonNBCSports 7m
Coyotes sign '14 first-rounder Perlini http://wp.me/p14QU5-9NVJ

hockeyfights ‏@hockeyfights 1m
Bruins Re-Sign Six Players http://noglov.es/UgcftB
Monahan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #20
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Sabres' Matt D'Agostini signs 1 year deal in Switzerland.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote