Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2014, 01:02 AM   #21
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think most of these guys are a mix... Possessing some qualities from Different NHLers. Most of these qualities will probably not be as pure/high end but the mix will bring other elements to their game.

For example... Bennett to me is a mix of Matt duchene (offensive skill), Brendan Gallagher (feistiness/competitiveness), and Jonathan toews (Hockey IQ). His offensive skill likely won't be as high as that if duchene... Same with his hockey IQ with toews... And I don't think he's as much of a pest as Gallagher. But his compete level is off the charts and mixing that with duchene-lite offensive skill and toews-lite hockey IQ will make Bennett a great center to be in tandem with Monahan.

Monahan I'd say is part Logan couture (scoring touch) and part Jonathan toews (leadership style and two-way game).

Gaudreau is very rare cause he's a lot like Patrick Kane in so many ways. Close comparison I think. I know people like to temper expectations with him especially but he's at such another level with how fast he thinks and plays the game it's hard not to group him with guys like that.

Baertschi looks like hossa (puck protection/management) meets tanguay (playmaking).

Brodie is a lot like Duncan Keith without the shot. He can control the tempo of the game... Very important to have guys like that in playoffs.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2014, 02:22 AM   #22
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
...For example... Bennett to me is a mix of Matt duchene (offensive skill), Brendan Gallagher (feistiness/competitiveness), and Jonathan toews (Hockey IQ). His offensive skill likely won't be as high as that if duchene... Same with his hockey IQ with toews... And I don't think he's as much of a pest as Gallagher. But his compete level is off the charts and mixing that with duchene-lite offensive skill and toews-lite hockey IQ will make Bennett a great center to be in tandem with Monahan...
I wanted to take issue a little bit with your comparison of Bennett to Duchene. I have always quite liked this for Bennett, but I really disagree with you that Duchene is a more offensively skilled player. Of course, it is too early to tell how he builds on it, but when you compare Bennett's juniour career to Duchene's he looks like the better player. What Duchene has that makes him so successful is his outrageously good skating ability and ludicrous speed. Bennett can't touch him in this, but I think he is a more naturally skilled player with the puck, and has better distribution and finishing abilities.

So, more highly skilled than Duchene, but not as good of a skater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2014, 02:35 AM   #23
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I remember watching a young Paul Kariya play and people can call me crazy but I think Gaudreau is more skilled at the same age frame. I think he will be a better player too. Hopefully he does not get rocked like Kariya did.
I'm 100% with you on this ... I'm goin to write something that will take the heat off you though...

... When I watch Gaudreau play, I see Gretzky in his style.. There, I said it and I ain't takin' it back!!

By the way, I'm NOT expecting a grandiose career out of Gaudreau... so no need for all the warnings about expectations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:38 AM   #24
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies -> Vokoun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Yeah, Gagner's line was -4 and Kessel's was +4, so it all evened out.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:39 AM   #25
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGenius View Post
I'm 100% with you on this ... I'm goin to write something that will take the heat off you though...

... When I watch Gaudreau play, I see Gretzky in his style.. There, I said it and I ain't takin' it back!!

By the way, I'm NOT expecting a grandiose career out of Gaudreau... so no need for all the warnings about expectations.
The way I see it, the problem with making a comparison to Gretzky and then expecting that player's career to follow the same trajectory has less to do with the comparison, than it does to how much better every other player in the league is now, compared to how good every NHL player was in the era in which Gretzky played. A Gretzky in his prime in today's NHL could never hope to match the performance of 1980s Gretzky. And that is because the average NHL player in 2014 is probably more comparable in his ability to hockey stars from the old days.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2014, 02:55 AM   #26
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I may be in the minority, but we look like we are building like the Hawks.

Monahan - Toews
Gaudreau - Kane
Brodie - Keith
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:28 AM   #27
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Some interesting discussion here. I don't see the Bennett=Gilmour comparison at all. He reminds me way more of Bobby Clarke ( I saw both Clarke and Gilmour play many times). I like the Monahan=Ron Francis/Rod Brind'amour comparison quite a bit.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #28
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baertschi --> Hudler.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #29
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I wanted to take issue a little bit with your comparison of Bennett to Duchene. I have always quite liked this for Bennett, but I really disagree with you that Duchene is a more offensively skilled player. Of course, it is too early to tell how he builds on it, but when you compare Bennett's juniour career to Duchene's he looks like the better player. What Duchene has that makes him so successful is his outrageously good skating ability and ludicrous speed. Bennett can't touch him in this, but I think he is a more naturally skilled player with the puck, and has better distribution and finishing abilities.

So, more highly skilled than Duchene, but not as good of a skater.

You could be right... I haven't followed Bennett over the season so I'm just going off of other opinions I've heard of him. Their style of offence is very similar. I gave the edge to duchene because of his speed and size. But Bennett may have more overall offensive skill for all I know. It's exciting to have a guy that has this kind of potential either way.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #30
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sieloff admires Niklas Kronwal, and it shows
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #31
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
You could be right... I haven't followed Bennett over the season so I'm just going off of other opinions I've heard of him. Their style of offence is very similar. I gave the edge to duchene because of his speed and size. But Bennett may have more overall offensive skill for all I know. It's exciting to have a guy that has this kind of potential either way.
Bennett is already a little taller tha Duchene, and is very close to Duchene's draft weight. Bennett saw a ridiculous increase in his offensive output in this, his second season in the OHL. His point/game average of 1.6 is 21 percentage points higher than Duchene's from his draft year, even though he is six months younger an Duchene was when he was drafted.

Duchene is a better skater than Bennett ever will be, but all other signs suggest that Bennett is a more highly skilled player.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-23-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #32
tknez16
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Baertschi --> Hudler.

I see Baertschi as more of a Havlat, but maybe the main difference there is fragility.
tknez16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #33
Ulrith
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I may be in the minority, but we look like we are building like the Hawks.

Monahan - Toews
Gaudreau - Kane
Brodie - Keith
I don't think many here would be unhappy with that. I know I wouldn't!
Ulrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #34
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGenius View Post

Nothing wrong with that because that is what pro scouts have said, he thinks the game like Wayne. Nobody would read what you wrote and think you are implying Johnny will be as good as Wayne, not possible in this day and age. I think he will be our best franchise forward though in a few years.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #35
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone know where to find that draft chart that broke down and compared different chl prospects stats using color coding and stuff?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #36
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ferland: Lucic

Ferland needs to show he can keep scoring, the 17 points in last 12 games was a good start, if he can keep it up could become 2nd or even 1st line power forward.
Point a game would be lots to ask but maybe .8 per game would be more reasonable top end.
We shall see if it was small sample size fluke or the development of a Lucic type.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #37
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
Ferland: Lucic

Ferland needs to show he can keep scoring, the 17 points in last 12 games was a good start, if he can keep it up could become 2nd or even 1st line power forward.
Point a game would be lots to ask but maybe .8 per game would be more reasonable top end.
We shall see if it was small sample size fluke or the development of a Lucic type.
I assume you are talking about in the AHL with respect to the bolded. Regardless, that is not the point of my post.

The reason I am so high on Ferland is that, with his toughness and speed, along with some decent hands, he doesn't need to have top line talent in order to be a valuable top line player.

I see him being something of a Clark Giillies, the big tough - and decently talented - RW on one of the greatest lines of its generation.

Trottier was a great two-way C who was under-rated offensively (Monahan?). Bossy was the star goal scorer (Gaudreau?). Gillies made sure that the other two were able to take care of business in a relatively unimpeded manner.

Now don't get me wrong - Gillies could play. All I am saying is that, because he brought size and toughness, along with some talent and a willingness to go to the net, he had a hell of a career as a top liner.

Had he been slapped onto a third line somewhere because that was his 'ceiling' it would have been a shame for him as well as the Islanders.

I have just always had this feeling that Ferland could (will? ) be a player like that.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #38
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I assume you are talking about in the AHL with respect to the bolded. Regardless, that is not the point of my post.

The reason I am so high on Ferland is that, with his toughness and speed, along with some decent hands, he doesn't need to have top line talent in order to be a valuable top line player.

I see him being something of a Clark Giillies, the big tough - and decently talented - RW on one of the greatest lines of its generation.

Trottier was a great two-way C who was under-rated offensively (Monahan?). Bossy was the star goal scorer (Gaudreau?). Gillies made sure that the other two were able to take care of business in a relatively unimpeded manner.

Now don't get me wrong - Gillies could play. All I am saying is that, because he brought size and toughness, along with some talent and a willingness to go to the net, he had a hell of a career as a top liner.

Had he been slapped onto a third line somewhere because that was his 'ceiling' it would have been a shame for him as well as the Islanders.

I have just always had this feeling that Ferland could (will? ) be a player like that.
I like your comparible with Gillies and would add that Granlund although not a winger has a release and shot very close to Bossy's and finds open space like him as well and I think I made that comparison earlier in this thread. Gaudreau could be Trottier in that he would be feeding the puck more even though he's a winger. Would love to see a Gaudreau-Granlund-Ferland line in exhibition this year.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #39
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sam Bennett - Sam Bennett (season before his Calder rookie year)
Sean Monahan - Sean Monahan
Johnny Gaudreau - John Gaudreau (before he tried to grow the facial hair and had to shorten his name to appear older then he looked)
Sven Baertschi - Sven Baertschi (before he found his two way game... two way for him at least)
TJ Brodie - TJ Brodie (a less stronger and less mature brodie)
Old 07-23-2014, 09:04 PM   #40
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
Sam Bennett - Sam Bennett (season before his Calder rookie year)
Sean Monahan - Sean Monahan
Johnny Gaudreau - John Gaudreau (before he tried to grow the facial hair and had to shorten his name to appear older then he looked)
Sven Baertschi - Sven Baertschi (before he found his two way game... two way for him at least)
TJ Brodie - TJ Brodie (a less stronger and less mature brodie)
...huh?
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote