Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #121
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe he can prop up Tanguay again before his next contract.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:34 AM   #122
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I didn't read the whole thread but lets not forget its essentially a forgone conclusion the ROR is leaving the Avs when his contract (either 1 or 2 years) from the arbitrator is done.
It wouldn't surprise me one bit. They might even be inclined to trade him this season if they don't like the settlement.

The Avs have a little under $9 million left in cap space.

If O'Reilly lands over $6.5-7 per season they are in trouble because Tyson Barrie who had 38 points in 60ish games is going to want to get paid $3+ for sure.

In that scenario the Avs will be capped out and might have to shed salary.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:32 AM   #123
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He is 1000X the champion that Lecavalier, Richards, St. Louis, Sarich, Khabilbulin etc. are.

dont care for the article.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:10 AM   #124
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Stastny out and Iginla in. Seems like a down grade to me.

Tanguay and Briere have gone well past their best before dates and if you are counting on both for offensive production you will be dissapointed.

Add in Brad stuart on the blueline and you have a decidely much older club.
Stastny in his first 4 seasons appeared to be an almost point per game guy year over year. His subsequent 4 he regressed and seems more aligned as a 60 ish point guy. He is in his prime now, based on general expectations based on age, and the question is if he is maybe is getting more credit due to the expectations he set with his early years. Do the early years indicating future potential get washed out by failure to consistently deliver? Iggy will obviously not play forever, but his career stats put in context look a heck of a lot better and more consistent than a guy with promise who failed to deliver against it. Stastny may be a guy who peaked early, unfortunately. He has a lot to prove. Iggy is meanwhile challenged to maintain his record as one of the most consistent scorers in league history. No small feat. But at least Iggy has shown he knows what it takes to deliver consistently. And despite peoples' idea about his age was player of the month for the NHL down the stretch and was during the playoffs one of the few Bruins putting up a respectable fight. HOFer for sure

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 07-19-2014 at 03:18 AM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #125
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
Does this experience and wisdom include Tanguay twice asking for a trade from Calgary, crying (literally) and pretty much mailing it in his 2nd tenure after Iginla was traded?

Daniel Briere is a 3rd liner at this point in his career....

Is the young players tenacity include the team that tanked to get a 1st overall pick?

MacKinnon does have skill and speed to burn, I'll give you that. And 3 other good young forwards. They still got a lot to prove before they are even considered contenders, let alone a favourite.
You're dwelling on the past.

They tanked 2 years ago. They got Mackinnon. He made an impact. They made the playoffs.

Some posters suggesting that, because they lost one player to FA (Statsny), the Avs are doomed. I'm not saying they're favourites to win the cup, but I am saying they're trending up. And as Mackinnon, Landeskog, O'Reilly & Duchene improve they'll only get better, whether Tanguay checks out or not. Sometime during Iggy's 3 years they'll have a good playoff run. Book it.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #126
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tanked yet there is no definitive proof of it. Oh ya there is the made up story they purposely didn't sign O'Reilly which has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Fact that it's happening again basically disproves that anyways. Oh ya and they didn't fire a coach who had been with the organization for years and came up through their AHL team. Same coach who was a Jack Adams finalist couple years before. I'm sure no sort of loyalty was there. Oh ya and there was that Roy guy they wanted who had a job already. Same guy they tried once before to hire and same guy they actually did hire as soon as he was available. But ya let's ignore what actually happened and create some conspiracy theory that it was all some sort of master plan.
Hackey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:51 PM   #127
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Colorado is horrible. Buoyed by insane goaltending. Their fall from the stars is going to be a point of interest this year.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #128
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's more about Iggy's agent being one greedy SOB than anything else. Kind of reminds me of Don King.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #129
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
You're dwelling on the past.

They tanked 2 years ago. They got Mackinnon. He made an impact. They made the playoffs.

Some posters suggesting that, because they lost one player to FA (Statsny), the Avs are doomed. I'm not saying they're favourites to win the cup, but I am saying they're trending up. And as Mackinnon, Landeskog, O'Reilly & Duchene improve they'll only get better, whether Tanguay checks out or not. Sometime during Iggy's 3 years they'll have a good playoff run. Book it.
I think it was more like a year ago (or year and a quarter ago?)

I don't think they're doomed, but I don't think they are a contender, and I don't see them as a contender the next 3 years.

Though I agree, I'm wouldn't be surprised if they go 2-3 rounds in the playoffs at least once in the next 3 years. Just don't think they'll be in the finals though, at least not in the next 3 years.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #130
Goaltender
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhouse View Post
Maybe he can prop up Tanguay again before his next contract retirement.
Goaltender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #131
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhouse View Post
Maybe he can prop up Tanguay again before his next contract.
Nothing can prop up Tanguay, I am sure he will fake an injury by game 50 and be out for the season.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:38 AM   #132
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Vegas has the Avs at 18-1
Bodog has the Avs at 19-1 odds. Those odds are just too tempting for me. I had to put down $106 on it. I know they are not a huge favourite, but I see them as better than 19-1.