Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Acolatse 1 0.27%
Agostino 7 1.90%
Arnold 35 9.49%
Billins 0 0%
Carroll 0 0%
Culkin 0 0%
Cundari 0 0%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Ferland 7 1.90%
Gilmour 0 0%
Hanowski 1 0.27%
Harrison 0 0%
Hickey 0 0%
Jankowski 190 51.49%
Jooris 0 0%
Kanzig 7 1.90%
Knight 13 3.52%
Kulak 9 2.44%
McDonald 1 0.27%
Ollas Mattson 0 0%
Rafikov 0 0%
Ramage 0 0%
Roy 0 0%
Sieloff 90 24.39%
Smith 2 0.54%
Thiessen 0 0%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 6 1.63%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #141
Headshot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I love it when people make up what they think I said. That's sarcasm if you aren't able to pick it up. It shows your bias. I said it was hard to pay attention not that I didn't pay attention.
Eh. You kinda worded it in a way that made it look like you didn't pay attention.

Hey, speaking of Bias, I'm not the one saying that people have an 'obsession' with Jankowski on a flames board on a thread where Mark Jankowski is CLEARLY involved.

If you wanna continue this PM me. I don't think anyone else wants to read us arguing.
Headshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #142
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #143
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I don't think anyone should write off Jankowski but at the rate he's developing it will be 7 years from his draft that he can be expected in the NHL. At that rate, time could run out for him and the longer it takes the more possibilities for failure. Meanwhile our 4th round pick in the same 2012 draft , Kulak, is ready to turn pro.
He is 'ready to turn pro' simply because his CHL career is over and 'pro' is the next step.

If Jankowski had gone through the CHL, he would be 'ready to turn pro' now too.

And he would be a more highly touted prospect (deservedly do) than Kulak.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #144
Point Blank
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Okay I'd really like to understand why people would vote Sieloff ahead of Jankowski.

To me everything Jankowski has done last year is superior to Sieloff, except for maybe off ice intangibles, and even that is quite muddy. Let's look at the facts here:

- Jankowski had a very respectable sophomore year with Providence, especially with a low scoring team and not given 1st line minutes. Whereas Sieloff spent most of last year in the sidelines. Developmentally speaking, one year is a lot of time to lose.
- Jankowski's point totals with Providence is at worst, passable. Given the context of his team, his points were understandable. The most points Sieloff had was 11, most defensive defensemen should still put up higher points as a prospect.
- Jankowski has a pretty high ceiling, I'd say anywhere between 1b-3a line center (forgive me if I overrate him). If Sieloff remains to be a defensive defensemen, which is arguably a dying breed in the NHL, I'd argue his ceiling is lower.
- Sieloff is an amazing character and leader, but it seems like Jankowski is a really nice kid as well. Both are great in terms of character, though Sieloff seems to have more leadership attributes.

So whether you're talking about development, point totals, or ceiling, I don't quite understand how people can rate Sieloff ahead of Jankowski, the only thing Sieloff has an edge on is his leadership attributes, but honestly, that's not that hard to find in the NHL anyways.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the Sieloff voters, I love Sieloff, but I just don't quite understand how people can put them on a similar tier, to me, Jankowski looks to be a whole step ahead of Sieloff. Can someone please explain their reasoning behind voting Sieloff ahead of Jankowski based on the four categories I mentioned?

PS. The MMF and Vulcan feud is pretty awesome.
Point Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #145
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Jankowski and think he's on the right track to be an NHL player, just not sure if he will be an impact player vs just a solid one, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I just think Seiloff has a special drive, a will, call it what you will that will take him farther than skill alone. I feel he might have a greater impact. Or I might be full of it, these are all guesses at this point.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #146
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a huge Seiloff fan and wanted to vote for him so bad but I'm worried he won't develop after missing a year with his injury, so I voted Jankowski instead.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:12 PM   #147
Neeper
Official CP Photographer

Exp:

I am really torn between Janko, Sieloff, Wolf and Ferland.

For this round I am going to go with Wolf, because I think he is likely to step in next year and be a difference maker.

I love the upside rest of the guys I listed have. But Wolf is more NHL ready.

edit: Man I forgot about Arnold too. This is getting tough. What a great problem to have!

Last edited by Neeper; 07-22-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Neeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:31 PM   #148
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Kulak's NHLE is within a point of Jankowski's. Just saying.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 PM   #149
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
He is 'ready to turn pro' simply because his CHL career is over and 'pro' is the next step.

If Jankowski had gone through the CHL, he would be 'ready to turn pro' now too.

And he would be a more highly touted prospect (deservedly do) than Kulak.
Kulak looked like he was ready to turn pro last season. He didn't because of the CHL agreement. He played 4 AHL games at the end of the 12/13 season and 6 AHL games at the end of the 13/14 season plus all 4 of the playoff games. He's ready and not just because his CHL career is over. This is a big deal, a defenceman playing the playoff games and shows the trust his coach Ward had in him.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=130818
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:40 AM   #150
MyFlamesFirst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I voted Kulak myself. I think he is our best D prospect behind Wotherspoon. I think with all our new flashier prospects, a guy like Kulak has kinda flew under the radar. A smooth skating defencemen with a good shot who really stuck out at development camp has me excited.
MyFlamesFirst is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyFlamesFirst For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2014, 02:57 AM   #151
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Arnold, more likely to play than Jankowski and Janko's upside doesn't supersede that gap.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote