Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Better rebuild situation 2013 or 2024?
2013 53 31.36%
2024 116 68.64%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2024, 10:39 AM   #81
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think there is more intent to rebuild in 2024 and the realization by management that you need to take some time to do it right.
I'm not so sure about that as it appears they are chasing the Dallas Stars model and they never really took time to do it right and it's more they had a run of incredible drafting that defies the odds.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:41 AM   #82
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

So weird for Conroy to suggest a "model" that involves winning a lottery. You can't replicate that. Its not a model.

You can hope for it. Thats about it.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:41 AM   #83
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The biggest differences seem to be that

(1) The quality of the front office is much higher today

(2) Huberdeau is going to be here sucking well after the rebuild is complete. This won't impact the early stages of the rebuild. But year 6-7 of his contract years are going to make signing RFAs and UFAs much more difficult.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 10:41 AM   #84
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm not so sure about that as it appears they are chasing the Dallas Stars model and they never really took time to do it right and it's more they had a run of incredible drafting that defies the odds.
I think chasing is a reach.

Conroy is a walking sound byte, and picking a team's "model" is better press conference material than just letting the city worry about say Buffalo.

I'm sure he's aware that it took a lottery win and a lot of good luck to nail a draft to that extent, and the only real take away is they want to draft well and have more picks.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:48 AM   #85
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
So weird for Conroy to suggest a "model" that involves winning a lottery. You can't replicate that. Its not a model.

You can hope for it. Thats about it.
You really think that even entered his mind when he brought them up?

It's simply an example of a team that rebuilt into a cup contender without tearing it to the ground and drafting top 5 multiple years in a row.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:50 AM   #86
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
You really think that even entered his mind when he brought them up?

It's simply an example of a team that rebuilt into a cup contender without tearing it to the ground and drafting top 5 multiple years in a row.
Of course, but its kind of a dumb thing to say out loud is it not? Just say "we see how well a team like Dallas has drafted, even outside of their lottery win".

But saying their model reminds me of Burke going ape#### over the Pittsburgh model quote.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:58 AM   #87
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Think people are reading wayyyyyyy too much into this media sound bite. Can't take a quote as bible on their actual plans.
The Flames roster will likely turn over another 2-3 UFAs next year and sounds like Markstrom is gone. The best thing Treliving did was set up the roster to turn itself over. I'll get worried if they retain Markstrom and sign UFAs to long contracts.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 11:09 AM   #88
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Think people are reading wayyyyyyy too much into this media sound bite. Can't take a quote as bible on their actual plans.
The Flames roster will likely turn over another 2-3 UFAs next year and sounds like Markstrom is gone. The best thing Treliving did was set up the roster to turn itself over. I'll get worried if they retain Markstrom and sign UFAs to long contracts.
Yep. People are forgetting that actions speak louder than words. Conroy has basically done exactly what most fans wanted so far. Not sure why there is all the consternation.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 02:34 PM   #89
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Yep. People are forgetting that actions speak louder than words. Conroy has basically done exactly what most fans wanted so far. Not sure why there is all the consternation.
He's actually done even more than I wanted. Finding hidden gems and reclamation projects to trade back to teams at higher prices one year later is A+ work.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 03:46 PM   #90
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames were in a better spot in 2013 just because of cap considerations.

The 2024 Flames have 3 long term and large contracts on guys on the downslope of their careers. Huberdeau and Kadri's are already negative value. Weegar's looks good now, but most NHLers start falling off in their 30s. That contract could become problematic in the future.

Talentwise its so hard to compare as we have the benefit of hindsight for one side. Someone saying Gaudreau would become a 99 point NHLer wouldn't have been taken seriously after his 12/13 season. Maybe Zary and Kylington go supernova, and change the equation. The future is always impossible to predict.

I do think the 2013 rebuild had some things happen that were very fortunate, after the rebuild started. Giordano going from just a guy at age 28 to a Norris trophy winner at age 34 is something you don't see very often.

Brodie becoming a top pairing D, Tkachuk was probably a one in 20-30 year 6th overall pick. Gaudreau exceeded all expectations. Monahan developed very quickly, and Boston decided to dump a young, first pairing D man for cheap right at an opportune time.

So a lot of very positive events happened in a cluster which allowed the Flames to avoid a lengthier rebuild in 2013. If the Flames have that level of good fortune again this time around, it'll be tougher to capitalize on the situation with so much of their future cap space tied up for so long.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 05:32 PM   #91
YyjFlames
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Flames were in a better spot in 2013 just because of cap considerations.

The 2024 Flames have 3 long term and large contracts on guys on the downslope of their careers. Huberdeau and Kadri's are already negative value. Weegar's looks good now, but most NHLers start falling off in their 30s. That contract could become problematic in the future.

Talentwise its so hard to compare as we have the benefit of hindsight for one side. Someone saying Gaudreau would become a 99 point NHLer wouldn't have been taken seriously after his 12/13 season. Maybe Zary and Kylington go supernova, and change the equation. The future is always impossible to predict.

I do think the 2013 rebuild had some things happen that were very fortunate, after the rebuild started. Giordano going from just a guy at age 28 to a Norris trophy winner at age 34 is something you don't see very often.

Brodie becoming a top pairing D, Tkachuk was probably a one in 20-30 year 6th overall pick. Gaudreau exceeded all expectations. Monahan developed very quickly, and Boston decided to dump a young, first pairing D man for cheap right at an opportune time.

So a lot of very positive events happened in a cluster which allowed the Flames to avoid a lengthier rebuild in 2013. If the Flames have that level of good fortune again this time around, it'll be tougher to capitalize on the situation with so much of their future cap space tied up for so long.
Huberdeau is really the only boat anchor. Weegar is signed to a great contract and is following the similar late-blooming career path that Gio took, and if he keeps getting better, he could be a 34 year-old Norris trophy winner too. His contract is a deal now and it'll probably still look like a deal when it expires. Kadri's is still market, and I'm sure teams would be interested in him if he were made available and interested in moving on. He brings quite a bit of value to Calgary for the rebuild, though, as long as he keeps playing and mentoring like he did this last year (and doesn't go back to the first year I don't give a crap Kadri).

Calgary has a much better, deeper and more intriguing prospect base now than they had in 2013 (Gaudreau was 1 at the time, but the list got weak quickly and fell off hard after Jon Gillies at 4 or 5). Gaudreau turned into a superstar but Calgary has a few young guys now at forward, defence and in goal that could really explode.

Lots more to like these days than back then.
YyjFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to YyjFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 07:00 PM   #92
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YyjFlames View Post
Huberdeau is really the only boat anchor. Weegar is signed to a great contract and is following the similar late-blooming career path that Gio took, and if he keeps getting better, he could be a 34 year-old Norris trophy winner too. His contract is a deal now and it'll probably still look like a deal when it expires. Kadri's is still market, and I'm sure teams would be interested in him if he were made available and interested in moving on. He brings quite a bit of value to Calgary for the rebuild, though, as long as he keeps playing and mentoring like he did this last year (and doesn't go back to the first year I don't give a crap Kadri).

Calgary has a much better, deeper and more intriguing prospect base now than they had in 2013 (Gaudreau was 1 at the time, but the list got weak quickly and fell off hard after Jon Gillies at 4 or 5). Gaudreau turned into a superstar but Calgary has a few young guys now at forward, defence and in goal that could really explode.

Agree I Would take now. We have four picks in the first two rounds i would assume at least one is a defencemen. Out if our group of defencemen i would expect 3 or 4 to make the nhl in what capacities remains to be seen. Especially if our top pick is a buium, parehk, Dickinson, or yakemchuk.

Pelletier, coronato, klapka, lipinski, honzek should all be nhl’ers and whatever comes in this draft. Kerins have my doubts. Stormgren is my darkhorse. Suniev li like but he could stay in college.

Weegars contract isnt a burden. Huby overpaid but still a top six, kadri has earned his money this year, but at the end of the day we still have to ice entire team they can’t all be 18.

We have cap space may possibly add more picks if markstrom and eat bread go, and who knows right now what kuznenko and sharangovich want to do but i think sharangovich would return a pretty good package. Anderson could say he wents out he could return a package better than lindholm.

Honestly dont think its even close.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 07:03 PM   #93
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kadri was our best player this year - saying he has negative value misses the mark.

Weegar is still getting better every year, is only 30, and just had a 20 goal season. If he were a UFA, he'd be looking for something in the 8s. He is the furthest thing from negative value.

As for the contracts being a hindrance to a rebuild, not at all. Those 3 will be the veterans going forward, and their contracts will only serve to keep them over the floor. In 4 or 5 or 6 years, when the Flames are getting competitive, and some ELCs are starting to roll over, Kadri's contract will be easy enough to move, and Weegar may still be valuable. Huberdeau's is an anchor. But teams can survive one anchor contract cough#Nurse#cough
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 07:04 PM   #94
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

A new arena on the horizon should help in keeping and attracting players.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 07:16 PM   #95
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I say 2013 because there was more future cap flexibility. Plus in that environment draft picks were easier to acquire and didn't carry an essay worth of conditions.

Feaster and Burke did a poor job of things. So I'm confident that Conroy and his group will do a better job. Of course any lottery luck will make any rebuild more successful.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:22 PM   #96
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the better opportunity because the team doesn’t have a JG and most likely won’t get a MT at 6 . This means they should stay bad longer and bottom out harder . This would allow them to acquire some elite talent to go along with the nice depth prospects they have .

The key is to bottom out the next 2 seasons…..
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 12:30 AM   #97
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the reasons why I was really hoping for Conroy to become the next GM is the fact that he was here through that rebuild. He has seen what went right and what went wrong.

As comparing the situations - 2013 is much better in terms of contracts. This year is better as it is a more seasoned head office and scouting department. I have more faith that the Flames have gotten their ducks in a row for this under Conroy and the assistant GMs (and Maloney) than under Feaster and Weisbrod.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 08:31 AM   #98
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The key will be if they still exhibit the same habits and behaviors that lead to the Hamilton and Hamonic deals. Those deals are okay if you're a top 4 seed on the cusp and looking to move forward. But as a bottom tier playoff team or non playoff team it's a lot of draft capital to give up to be trying to be a playoff team.

Many will argue that the results of the Hamilton trade were fine, they were...but trades can be close to 50-50. So that's why I look to habits and behaviors. The Avalanche or Lightning were not making this type of trade until 4-5 years into their cycle.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 04-25-2024 at 08:34 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 08:55 AM   #99
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YyjFlames View Post

Huberdeau is the biggest concern but if we are patient, we may be able to get rid of him at some point.

With the cap set to escalate very quickly, IMO Kadri is tradeable and Weegar could have the best 30+ age contract in the NHL.

Salt Lake City will be a very interesting option for a ton of teams. With LTIR they have $50 mil cap space and a new owner looking to spend. I hope Conroy gets in on the action as they likely will be the busiest team in the league. Kadri could be a cheap pick up for them.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 09:02 AM   #100
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think this is a 2013 vs 2024 discussion, this is a 2013 vs 2023 discussion. The state the team was in when Conroy took over in 2023 needs to be compared to when Treliving took over in 2013.

2013 was better because we had pretty much a clean slate to work from. The GM wasn't left with any trade debt to deal with and no real albatross contracts hanging around the team. The assets to dump in that first year weren't as good as Conroy got to work with but the prospect base was also better IMO.

Conroy has improved that prospect base in his first year of managing the team by getting some prospect depth at an area we needed help. He's been way more proactive in dealing with issues head on than the last GM. Conroy has got us off to a way better start in a rebuild or retool, and that started in earnest last summer IMO.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: