Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best guess at Sam Bennett's contract
2 years $6M ($3/) 34 5.57%
2 years $5.5M 62 10.16%
2 years $5M 105 17.21%
2 years $4.5M 118 19.34%
2 years $4M 55 9.02%
3 years $9M 53 8.69%
3 years $8.25M 47 7.70%
3 years $7.5M 54 8.85%
3 years $6.75M 30 4.92%
3 years $6M 10 1.64%
1 year deal 8 1.31%
Long Term deal 34 5.57%
Voters: 610. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #181
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I'm given to believe that negotiations havent gone exactly smooth between the player/agent and the team.

This thing could last well into late September and even into the regular season if someone doesn't blink.
Or maybe his agent is busy with other things.

(which is what Treliving said, wasn't it)
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:47 AM   #182
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

Hope so.. Please no stupid distractions to start this year..
Old 07-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #183
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm given to believe that negotiations havent gone exactly smooth between the player/agent and the team.

This thing could last well into late September and even into the regular season if someone doesn't blink.
As an RFA with 0 arbitration rights and no breakout season, Sam's camp doesn't exactly have a lot of pull. Would be silly for him to let it drag out that long.
Quote:

IIRC it was Backlund's agent that was busy handling arbitration cases with some of his other represented players, haven't seen anything from Bennett's camp yet.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:12 AM   #184
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

No idea..but looking at the client list i find it hard to believe he is that busy elsewhere. Certainly no one else would carry more importance to their club or to his agency that isn't already under contract.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #185
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
As an RFA with 0 arbitration rights and no breakout season, Sam's camp doesn't exactly have a lot of pull. Would be silly for him to let it drag out that long.
I agree but that doesn't prevent dumb things from being...dumb.

It could be as simple as the club wanting longer term and the players camp wanting short term that takes them to arbitration rights. Maybe its merely $$, but i doubt it.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #186
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I betcha Sam Bennett's camp only wants one year. After a tough start to his career, including basically a washed out critical development year, Sam looks to have shown major signs of starting to put it all together, and likely thinks he can put together a break out, and I don't doubt he will to be honest.

No way in hell he'll agree to three years, imo and even two years would be a reluctant signing on his part. This is a much more critical contract negotiation on Sam's part than I think a lot of Flames fans are giving credit for.

So I'd imagine the Flames started wanting three, Sam started wanting one, and they'll eventually meet at two, but Sam's side likely wants a big number for two years as they'll see it as a major concession to take two, where as the Flames will still want a low number for two.

Last edited by jayswin; 07-23-2017 at 10:25 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #187
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I betcha Sam Bennett's camp only wants one year. After a tough start to his career, including basically a washed out critical development year, Sam looks to have shown major signs of starting to put it all together.

No way in hell he'll agree to three years, imo and even two years would be a reluctant signing in his part.

So I'd imagine the Flames started wanting three, Sam started wanting one, and they'll eventually meet at two, but Sam's side likely wants a big number for two years as they'll see it as a major concession to take two, where as the Flames will still want a low number for two.
1 year is not a large enough sample size to determine if henisnworth $6M long term. Bennett breaks out next year for 30 goals and 60pts I would still be hesitant to hand out the Monahan contract. If he does it twice then sure thing.

I agree all signs point to a 2 year deal. I wouldn't mind the Flames overpaying a bit to get the 3rd year. Say 3x3
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #188
jayswin

Exp:

With all that in mind, my guess is the Flames want don't want a one year deal to the point where they'll eventually cave a little on a bigger number for two years (this is the assumption that I feel a lot of fans have wrong - that a two year deal will be super cheap).

I think we'll see $2.75-$3mil over two years. Do I think he's worth it at this point? No. But whether fans like it or not, you can't discount the pedigree of a high draft pick and future potential in contract negotiations, Sam has both of those.

He'll likely sign something in that range and then we'll probably finish our off season with Iginla on a reasonable deal shortly after that.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:36 AM   #189
Iniggywetrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
1 year is not a large enough sample size to determine if henisnworth $6M long term. Bennett breaks out next year for 30 goals and 60pts I would still be hesitant to hand out the Monahan contract. If he does it twice then sure thing.

I agree all signs point to a 2 year deal. I wouldn't mind the Flames overpaying a bit to get the 3rd year. Say 3x3
Tell that to the Oilers and Leon Draisitel. One good season and looking at. 5- 7 million dollar cap hit.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:42 AM   #190
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

Diagree, the landscape has changed in regards to contracts. A young, high draft pick that was already showing signs of putting it together can certainly get a $6mil+ contract (cap hit) with said break out season.

Especially 30 goals, 60 points like you mentioned. If that's what Bennett can do next season and he's on a one year contract, he's signing a big one next summer and that's what he's banking on and what's keeping this negotiation going, imo.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #191
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniggywetrust View Post
Tell that to the Oilers and Leon Draisitel. One good season and looking at. 5- 7 million dollar cap hit.
I'll take the over for $1,000 please
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #192
jayswin

Exp:

Yep. GM's pay for potential now on young players, whether that's through high cap hits or long term (aka Nashville). Money that use to go to 29-32 year olds for "everything they've done" now goes to 20-23 year olds for one or two big seasons with the relative security that they're a good player that will keep improving or at least keep producing at that pace.

GM's used to bet on older players continuing their consistent numbers, now they bet on younger players improving on limited big numbers. Either way they're still betting, but the returns are better these days for GM's betting on the young side instead of old.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #193
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I see a lot of people willing to pay him a lot for 2 years. I'm not going over 2AAV for 2 years. I'd go to 2.5 for 3 or 3.25 for 4.
Salary of 1.75/2.25/3.5/5.5. To me that's showing a pretty strong commitment to the player. Its very close to what Galchenyuk has received from Montreal considering that this first season is more like the third year of an entry level deal.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:01 AM   #194
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I see a lot of people willing to pay him a lot for 2 years. I'm not going over 2AAV for 2 years. I'd go to 2.5 for 3 or 3.25 for 4.
Salary of 1.75/2.25/3.5/5.5. To me that's showing a pretty strong commitment to the player. Its very close to what Galchenyuk has received from Montreal considering that this first season is more like the third year of an entry level deal.
It has nothing to do with what fans are willing to pay, it's what he's negotiating for and what he'll likely get. If I'm going by what he's produced and shown, I'm not willing to go over $2/2 as a fan either, but I highly doubt he'll come in at that.

I have no insider info, but I strongly believe the fundamental difference we'll end up seeing between reality and fan perception is two things;

1. We think the stalemate is between two years on Bennett's side and three years on the Flames side, where as the actual stalemate will end up being between one year and two years and the AAV being negotiated will be higher than what fans think two years is worth.

2. That draft pedigree and potential don't mean anything in an RFA contract negotiation. It does.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #195
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniggywetrust View Post
He had over 50pts the same season Sam had 36pts. He has had 2 good seasons in my opinion
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:49 PM   #196
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default What will Sam Bennett get?

Quote:
No idea..but looking at the client list i find it hard to believe he is that busy elsewhere. Certainly no one else would carry more importance to their club or to his agency that isn't already under contract.
It is not even yet August. Sean Monahan did not sign last year until 19 August. I suppose it could be that "negotiations havent gone exactly smooth between the player/agent and the team," but with a full week of July left this belief seems massively premature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-24-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #197
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wonder what the hold up with this deal is. Probably just Treliving working his extreme wizardry as always. Bennett's camp will crack eventually. Just like the rest.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #198
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
I wonder what the hold up with this deal is. Probably just Treliving working his extreme wizardry as always. Bennett's camp will crack eventually. Just like the rest.
Just usual negotiations, happens every summer with several RFAs
Old 07-25-2017, 12:09 PM   #199
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
Why do people assume there is a holdup in negotiations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 07:50 PM   #200
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Why do people assume there is a holdup in negotiations?
Because you know....maybe there is?