Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #4461
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=smiggy77;6187226]Well I was out for dinner on Friday with a buddy I went to university with who's a hardcore Oilers fan. Our whole time of knowing each other, there would always be the constant bickering back and forth on Oilers vs. Flames.

Well this time around, he told me that Flames are playing above their potential and that the Oilers are playing below their potential. I was like dude are you serious? Your D core is nothing compared to ours and your whole team is based on McDavid.

His response was No. I said if McDavid wasn't on your team, are you a playoff team. He say's 100% without a doubt. ...
Old 03-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #4462
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
Well I was out for dinner on Friday with a buddy I went to university with who's a hardcore Oilers fan. Our whole time of knowing each other, there would always be the constant bickering back and forth on Oilers vs. Flames.

Well this time around, he told me that Flames are playing above their potential and that the Oilers are playing below their potential. I was like dude are you serious? Your D core is nothing compared to ours and your whole team is based on McDavid.

His response was No. I said if McDavid wasn't on your team, are you a playoff team. He say's 100% without a doubt. ...

So to answer your question...It's straight delusion and a lack of self awareness that makes them hate us. lol In their eyes we're the Avalanche who are getting lucky while they're the best team in the NHL and our point totals are very close lol
That is exactly why Oiler fans are the worst

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 11:44 AM   #4463
FlamesFan?101
Lifetime Suspension

Oilers are one of the hottest teams in the league right now.. we should be aiming for SJ. They're getting old and could fall apart in the 1st round
Old 03-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #4464
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, how are you still allowed to post?
Old 03-26-2017, 11:50 AM   #4465
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To answer the question from my perspective. I don't hate the flames, I do cheer against them as per our rivalry. Flames fans can be a bit much though 😉

So let's see, the Oilers have been at the bottom of the league for ten years (because of self inflicted reasons). Flames fans chucking all the way through, making fun of Oilers fans for still believing. In the meantime talking up the Flames every season, who lets be clear have not had a great run themselves the last few years. Now the Oilers are having a good season and all we hear is - soft season, back to backs, one line, league is favouring the Oilers and so on. Do the math.

But I do love this forum and do enjoy the rivalry.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #4466
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
Well I was out for dinner on Friday with a buddy I went to university with who's a hardcore Oilers fan. Our whole time of knowing each other, there would always be the constant bickering back and forth on Oilers vs. Flames.

So to answer your question...It's straight delusion and a lack of self awareness that makes them hate us. lol In their eyes we're the Avalanche who are getting lucky while they're the best team in the NHL and our point totals are very close lol
Really? Let's just put this "teams lay down for them", "horseshoes" insinuations aside for a moment.

Their core is made up of top 3-4 picks. That requires both luck for winning drafts, particularly 2015, if not for which they'd probably be 20 points worse in the standing. It also requires being really bad.

Flames are about to go into their 2nd playoffs in 3 years. Which first of all may indicate more than mere luck, as it's no longer a one year 'flash in the pan' situation. The Flames core includes our undrafted captain, two 4th round (100~OA) picks - one a 5'6/130 player that was a gutsy pick that panned out, another was groomed through the organization, and a 24th overall pick that was developed within the organization over several years and has taken 10 years with the club to reach his potential. Then a couple 4-6 overall picks where no lottery was won and the Flames placed above the Oil in the standings due to less incompetence despite being in a full on rebuild themselves.

One core is built on savvy drafting, sometimes lucky drafting, but no lotteries, and patience in development, the other was build on cashing in on high picks that (no offence to their management) a primate could make. Even having Larsson now is in part due to their four 1st overall picks. Talbot was an excellent pickup and credit where credit is due, and he is impressive, but almost every Oiler core player was rushed into the NHL with little or no development at the pro level. Some of their now depth players have been groomed at the pro level first but what they did again most recently with Puljujarvi showed even more impatience and incompetence. This possibly has resulted in some playing not achieving their full potential, not a sure thing, but could be the case with players like Yakupov. McDavid compensates for the fact that the Oilers (prior to which were a 29th place team) lost their offseason trades in getting less than market return for Hall and marbles for Yakupov. Then the albatross Lucic signing. A piece they walked into is covering up what would otherwise be a worse team.

If Oilers fans believe the Flames current predicament was built on luck then perhaps they should look at how the respective teams were built and realize the deep delusion they are immersed in. So quick to credit themselves even though the hopes of the team rest on a lottery centre and a goaltender they are riding 70+ games, but then so stubborn about offering any to their rivals, that despite the hate, did assemble their team through more difficult channels amd are winning games on the backs of their team depth.

Last edited by djsFlames; 03-26-2017 at 12:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 11:54 AM   #4467
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFan101 View Post
Oilers are one of the hottest teams in the league right now.. we should be aiming for SJ. They're getting old and could fall apart in the 1st round
Every single one of your posts have been about the Oilers, who are you fooling? At least be a little smarter and come out with a better username than "flamesfan101", lol how long did you stay up thinking of that fake name?

Also Oilers may be one of the hottest teams, but guess who is the hottest team in the league right now?
Old 03-26-2017, 11:55 AM   #4468
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I petition we get FlamesFan101 renamed to OilersFan101. Or at least FlamesFan404NotFound.

Drop the pretence.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #4469
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I petition we get FlamesFan101 renamed to OilersFan101.

Drop the pretence.
No, no, no.

CoyotesFan101.

Lets be honest...they need the help.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #4470
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Every single one of your posts have been about the Oilers, who are you fooling? At least be a little smarter and come out with a better username than "flamesfan101", lol how long did you stay up thinking of that fake name?
It was probably his 101st idea.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #4471
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Records of playoff teams this month, sorted by points earned:

St.Louis - 9-2-1
Columbus - 9-3-1
Chicago - 9-3-1
Pittsburgh - 8-3-1
Ottawa - 8-3-2
Anaheim - 8-2-1
Tampa Bay - 8-4-1
Calgary - 8-3-0
Toronto - 7-3-2
Washington - 7-4-1
Edmonton - 7-3-1

The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 11:59 AM   #4472
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
To answer the question from my perspective. I don't hate the flames, I do cheer against them as per our rivalry. Flames fans can be a bit much though ��

So let's see, the Oilers have been at the bottom of the league for ten years (because of self inflicted reasons). Flames fans chucking all the way through, making fun of Oilers fans for still believing. In the meantime talking up the Flames every season, who lets be clear have not had a great run themselves the last few years. Now the Oilers are having a good season and all we hear is - soft season, back to backs, one line, league is favouring the Oilers and so on. Do the math.

What about this is not true? Honest question.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #4473
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
To answer the question from my perspective. I don't hate the flames, I do cheer against them as per our rivalry. Flames fans can be a bit much though 😉

Don't forget "Fluking into McJesus"...without that gift the Oilers would still be pretty miserable. But it is what it is...

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Old 03-26-2017, 12:01 PM   #4474
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Records of playoff teams this month, sorted by points earned:
Edmonton - 7-3-1
With 2 of their wins coming vs Colorado this week. Oh heavens.
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #4475
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
San Jose probably rolls up Edmonton fairly quickly in the first round. They have far greater depth, they can score from everywhere and they have the guys that can lean on the holy diver.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 03-26-2017, 12:07 PM   #4476
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
What about this is not true? Honest question.
Case in point
Old 03-26-2017, 12:09 PM   #4477
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Only one win against a team currently in a playoff spot. 1-3-1 against playoff-bound teams. 6-0-0 against non-playoff teams.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #4478
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Only one win against a team currently in a playoff spot. 1-3-1 against playoff-bound teams. 6-0-0 against non-playoff teams.
So hot right now.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:28 PM   #4479
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Props for them for taking advantage of a butter soft stretch of games but the fact is that against playoff teams they don't make the cut.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:38 PM   #4480
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Also

-Vancouver who actually outplayed them despite having difficulty scoring
-an apathetic Dallas Stars team
-the only competitive teams were both on their second half of back to backs (Boston, LA)
Closed Thread