Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #721
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Suggesting they're off by $700M, with no evidence or research on your part, is quite presumptive for you to make and say with such a matter-of-fact tone, and dare I say insulting to the committee that's been put together and has crunched the numbers with great scrutiny.
Actually I suggested those estimates could be off by up to $600MM - which in 2026 dollars might not be much of a stretch. At any rate if the shortfall is $2.4 bn as Nenshi is suggesting (or maybe higher) I think the idea of taxpayers funding the largesse of the IOC is getting old.

Just ask the people of Sochi or Rio how much of an after glow they had from their recent Olympic experiences.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 08:21 PM   #722
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Actually I suggested those estimates could be off by up to $600MM - which in 2026 dollars might not be much of a stretch. At any rate if the shortfall is $2.4 bn as Nenshi is suggesting (or maybe higher) I think the idea of taxpayers funding the largesse of the IOC is getting old.

Just ask the people of Sochi or Rio how much of an after glow they had from their recent Olympic experiences.
I think it's much fairer to ask if we'd have a similar afterglow to Vancouver. Rio Summer games (massively different scale) and Sochi a massive outlier and run by a corrupt and egomaniacal Putin.

The Vancouver games, generally speaking were a success during and after. Scale of investment, costs are going to be roughly similar, although I think security costs could be less in Calgary if Hanson is to be believed (being a former police Chief, he's a decent authority). I think they'd also approach the Olympic Village completely different here.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:02 AM   #723
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Advisory group warns Calgary’s Olympic bid in peril if Canada gets World Cup

The federal government has not yet committed any money to an Olympic bid. The committee expects domestic sponsors would support the Games to the tune of $820-million and ticket sales would bring in $320-million. “A joint North American (Canada/USA/Mexico) bid [for the 2026 World Cup] would likely be competitive and have strong prospects of success,” the unredacted copy of the committee’s Feasibility Study and Conceptual Master Hosting Plan said.

“Canada hosting a portion of the World Cup in the same year as the Winter Games may have an impact on both the level of government support available from Sport Canada and the ability to attract and compete for sponsorship, media and ticketing revenue.”
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:05 AM   #724
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Advisory group warns Calgary’s Olympic bid in peril if Canada gets World Cup

The federal government has not yet committed any money to an Olympic bid. The committee expects domestic sponsors would support the Games to the tune of $820-million and ticket sales would bring in $320-million. “A joint North American (Canada/USA/Mexico) bid [for the 2026 World Cup] would likely be competitive and have strong prospects of success,” the unredacted copy of the committee’s Feasibility Study and Conceptual Master Hosting Plan said.

“Canada hosting a portion of the World Cup in the same year as the Winter Games may have an impact on both the level of government support available from Sport Canada and the ability to attract and compete for sponsorship, media and ticketing revenue.”
This.

If people think the Olympics are bad for us, just wait to see if FIFA gets their grubby hands on us, then we are really screwed.
OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #725
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

FIFA and the IOC are about equal when it comes to being immoral and corrupt, not exactly like there's a preference to which one you'd rather host an event for. That said the World Cup would have far greater impact on Canadian sport, and would be spread around the country unlike the Olympics. Since the 2026 World Cup bid is highly likely to succeed, I think 2030 or 2034 are more realistic for Calgary to host.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:13 PM   #726
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Id like my tax dollars to be as far away as possible from the IOC or FIFA.

But the idea of having Croatia play a World Cup game in our backyard is so tantalizing.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:52 PM   #727
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well if you're going to go for it, go as big as you can:

2024 World Cup
2026 Winter Olympics
2026 Commonwealth Games
2027 Rugby World Cup

Give money to all the groups (the IRB isn't so bad, at least).

Last edited by Roughneck; 07-25-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:23 PM   #728
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any chance of Calgary hosting a World Cup game, while being EXTREMELY SLIM, would require a new stadium. This facility needs to get built whether one or (unlikely) both events occur... but with the World Cup, it's still an absolute long shot. IOC is much more realistic in having an impact.

While I would be excited for the WC to happen in Canada, it simply won't be a factor for Calgary. Even with a new stadium there's more popular, established soccer markets on this continent and only a handful of actual World Cup games in total. Edmonton will get one before we do.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:43 PM   #729
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't see more than three cities for Canada with how few games they'll be getting, and you would assume Toronto and Vancouver are givens. So Edmonton could be in play with a big enough stadium and actual grass as well. Of course for Calgary the Olympics is better, but for federal dollars sake an event spread around Canada is a much easier sell, and winning WC 2026 is much more likely to happen too. I don't see how the NA bid doesn't win 2026, FIFA basically owes it to Murica after the Qatar debacle.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #730
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I can't see more than three cities for Canada with how few games they'll be getting, and you would assume Toronto and Vancouver are givens. So Edmonton could be in play with a big enough stadium and actual grass as well. Of course for Calgary the Olympics is better, but for federal dollars sake an event spread around Canada is a much easier sell, and winning WC 2026 is much more likely to happen too. I don't see how the NA bid doesn't win 2026, FIFA basically owes it to Murica after the Qatar debacle.
Commonwealth no longer has grass.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:04 PM   #731
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boo, everyone prefers grass...except for the team paying maintenance costs of course.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:02 PM   #732
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

No to World Cup. Yes to Olympics. Or no to both.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:38 PM   #733
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Not to burst a bubble but if Canada does get a World Cup, Edmonton will likely be the Alberta venue of choice unless Calgary pulls a rabbit out of its hat.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:10 AM   #734
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

If it's a joint hosting between Canada, Mexico, and the USA, Alberta is not likely to see anything except maybe a pre-tournament warm-up match between Ghana and Japan. And even that's doubtful. Probably MLS cities will be the only places games are played in Canada.

No thanks. I'd much rather see an Olympics in Calgary. Let the Yanks and Mexicans host the soccer. If you want to see the Ghanans and Japanese duke it out, fly to Seattle or Denver.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:15 AM   #735
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt Alberta will get any World Cup games. Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal will probably be the only cities to see any games. Even then, it will likely only be about 3 games each.

If anything, Calgary and/or Edmonton might get to serve as one team's home base for pre-tournament practices.

Here's a speculated schedule that ESPN put together back when the bid was first announced in April: http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/...anada-as-hosts

With their suggested schedule, Montreal would host 3 games in the opening round; Vancouver would host two games in the opening round and one in the Round of 32; Toronto would host two games in the opening round, one in the Round of 32, and one in the Round of 16. Overall, Canada would host 10 games total.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:28 AM   #736
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I doubt Alberta will get any World Cup games. Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal will probably be the only cities to see any games. Even then, it will likely only be about 3 games each.

If anything, Calgary and/or Edmonton might get to serve as one team's home base for pre-tournament practices.

Here's a speculated schedule that ESPN put together back when the bid was first announced in April: http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/...anada-as-hosts

With their suggested schedule, Montreal would host 3 games in the opening round; Vancouver would host two games in the opening round and one in the Round of 32; Toronto would host two games in the opening round, one in the Round of 32, and one in the Round of 16. Overall, Canada would host 10 games total.
If anything Edmonton will get this. We don't even have a team close to becoming MLS.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Cgycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:20 AM   #737
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Commonwealth no longer has grass.
I missed this. when did this happen and I am assuming they put in that new astroturf with the shredded tires in it
Old 07-26-2017, 09:38 AM   #738
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
FIFA and the IOC are about equal when it comes to being immoral and corrupt, not exactly like there's a preference to which one you'd rather host an event for. That said the World Cup would have far greater impact on Canadian sport, and would be spread around the country unlike the Olympics. Since the 2026 World Cup bid is highly likely to succeed, I think 2030 or 2034 are more realistic for Calgary to host.
I dont think they're even close.

I mean, they are both immoral and corrupt, but FIFA invented it and the IOC is just following the blueprint.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #739
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Even if Canada is awarded the World Cup, it won't be in Calgary. Co-hosting with US and Mexico means that Canada will only get maybe 6 to 8 games max. Toronto and Vancouver (even Montreal and Edmonton) will be ahead of the line....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #740
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why in God's name would the USA want to host with Canada and Mexico?

They have 32 NFL football stadiums, and dozens of college football stadiums that could host too. All of them blow Canadian stadiums out of the water. Besides that, the USA already has all the infrastructure to host (hotels, airports, interstates, etc).

Mexico has a handful of stadiums that would rival US stadiums.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote