Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2017, 12:54 PM   #421
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
I really don't see the need for this at all:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland/Foo
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Bennett - Brouwer
one of
Stajan - Jankowski - Ferland/Foo/Lazar
or
Ferland - Stajan -Foo/Lazar

Hamilton

No room for an old guy at all. This team needs to get faster not old and slower.
Why does Ferland only belong on the top line or the 4th line? Is there really no middle ground for him?

Last edited by StrykerSteve; 07-25-2017 at 12:56 PM.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM   #422
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
This "Edmonton Oiler Prospect" video
Who ever the Oilers fan was that made this video of one of our prospects did a fantastic job! Can't imagine what it would be like to not have a worthy prospect of their own to make a highlight package of, but thanks!
Although, with all due respect, AC's would have been way better
Old 07-25-2017, 01:17 PM   #423
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Why does Ferland only belong on the top line or the 4th line? Is there really no middle ground for him?
I don't think it's necessarily that there isn't middle ground for him to fit it's that the middle ground seems to be somewhat crowded:

Say Foo does make the team and logical spot for him is with Johnny/Mony:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Foo

We know the MMM line is a lock:

This is where it's tricky because the following players would fit into the 3rd line and have the experience/contract to dictate that spot - Bennett, Ferland, Brouwer, Versteeg, Stajan, Lazar.

To me Stajan and Lazar are locks for 4th line duty along with Janko and Bennett Versteeg are locks for the 3rd line... that leaves it a hard decision with regards to Brouwer/Ferland... personally you know where Brouwer would be in my lineup contract shmontract.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Foo
Versteeg - Bennett - Ferland
Brouwer - Jankowski - Lazar
Stajan

It's tough.. Stajan needs to be moved IMO and Brouwer needs to not pout in a 4th line role at 4.5 mill ala Stajan of years ago.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:35 PM   #424
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Try to think outside the box though. Maybe Lazar plays top line. Maybe Gaudreau and Monahan aren't locks for the top line. Maybe Bennett finally emerges as the top Center. Maybe Brouwer has a big rebound and plays to his salary. Maybe someone from the farm plays their way into a top six role. So many things can happen, I try to not presume that everything will slot in the same way it did one year prior. A lot changes in that time, and you limit your viewpoint, you could miss out on some surprising finds. I for one, wouldn't be afraid to mess with the Backlund line. Just because they were successful last year doesn't make them a lock to duplicate that this year.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 01:41 PM   #425
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post

Try to think out of the box though and see the lines as A 1A, 1B, 2A - 2B...technically this puts him in middle ground. Calgary's "bottom" two lines as they are now are better than most 3rd and 4th lines in the league if they are able to play to their ability but yes they are also very likely to play terribly. I just have faith in the team that BT has built so far.

You could make a case that the RW position actually rotates through all the lines IE Brouwer gets time on Monahan's line, Ferland with Bennett and Foo and so on. So not really saying first line or fourth line more like saying we possibly 4 very solid lines. Not pigeon holing anyone
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #426
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferland earned an extended look on the top line.

To me, it's whether you slot Brouwer on the 3rd, 4th, or press box.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #427
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Ferland earned an extended look on the top line.

To me, it's whether you slot Brouwer on the 3rd, 4th, or press box.
If Brouwer doesn't look much better to start this season, and if the kids are pushing (Jankowski, Lazar, Foo) then Brouwer will quickly become the most expensive popcorn muncher in the NHL.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #428
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh Edmonton....never stop Edmonton...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:00 PM   #429
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
If Brouwer doesn't look much better to start this season, and if the kids are pushing (Jankowski, Lazar, Foo) then Brouwer will quickly become the most expensive popcorn muncher in the NHL.
I think it is virtually impossible for Brouwer to not be better this season than he was in 2017. I expect a return to Nov 2016 Brouwer, which is a dramatic improvement that will ensure his place in the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #430
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me, there are two or three story lines that interest me greatly as pre-season progresses, and the opening night roster is announced.

1) Which prospects make the cut.
IIRC, both Poirier and Shinkaruk are waiver-eligible. Although I am not very high on Shinkaruk, there may be the case where one (or both) of these prospects really impress during pre-season and get some attention. They are both recent 1st round picks. I would bet that they pass through waivers, but IF they impress Treliving has a decision to make. It will be a risk losing them.

2) Jankowski/Foo
I don't think either will start the season on the top line with Gaudreau - Monahan. I think the more realistic scenario is that they start with Bennett. Come on, the Flames have to give Bennett decent offensive talent to play with after all.
Jankowski - Bennett - Versteeg
or
Versteeg - Bennett - Foo
That is what I expect to happen. Maybe if it is Jankowski he ends up pushing Bennett to the wing, but I would think that would come later in the season. I am just talking about the opening night roster (and once again, assuming no injuries).

The big dilemma for Treliving will be if Foo does so well that Treliving simply can't send him down, and Jankowski does as expected. I would expect that the lines will go something like:
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Jankowski - Bennett - Foo
Versteeg - Lazar - Brouwer
Stajan?

Does Stajan sit? I can't believe that Brouwer would sit - not with that contract. I would think that Brouwer works his way off the bottom line as well and has a bit of a bounce-back year. Stajan (along with Bouma) was scratched in favor of Lazar and Hamilton in the last playoff game. Does that become a thing if Lazar makes it? Ferland, Jankowski and Foo can all alternate on the top line - maybe even with Lazar. With that, Lazar:

3) How do the Flames fit Lazar into this picture?
The most obvious direct answer is Stajan, at least if you believe that the Flames want Lazar as a center. At which player's expense will be the question.

Flames have a lot of bodies. That's some pretty good depth right there. That last line looks like they could create really strong 4th line offensive numbers. That's a lot of depth scoring (at least if you believe that Jankowski and Foo translate, and especially so if you believe that Lazar isn't as unproductive as what he seemed like in Ottawa).

With how deep the forwards are and how deep the defence are, they should have no issues scoring goals. If Smith does well, they should also have no trouble keeping the GA down as well with that defence.

I do assume that given the bodies (and potential risk in waivers) that Foo will be sent down. It is just the easy move, and there are always injuries anyways.

This team is going to be pretty fast. I hope Gulutzan manages to modify the system a bit to take advantage of team speed. With so many defencemen able to make a really good first pass, and with Foo, Bennett, Backlund, Gaudreau, Lazar, and Jankowski (and Poirier, but more likely down the road). Should make for an exciting game.

What we do know is that Bennett should at least have line mates with good foot speed AND offensive abilities to keep up with him.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:14 PM   #431
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think it is virtually impossible for Brouwer to not be better this season than he was in 2017. I expect a return to Nov 2016 Brouwer, which is a dramatic improvement that will ensure his place in the lineup.
I'm hoping you're right.

But from my end he was such a disappointment, he's got 20 games to prove it before he's in the press box or on waivers.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:17 PM   #432
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
2) Jankowski/Foo
Jankowski-Bennett-Foo seems way too inexperienced to ever be tried early on IMO. I think coaches like to mix vets and youth and not add the two most inexperienced guys to flank one of our youngest centres.

The lineup decisions will be in part based on how healthy the team is. I think Jankowski/Foo likely only both make the team if we sustain some injuries in training camp. It's impossible to predict how healthy the team will be but it's likely one of the forwards will be injured to start the season. This is the great problem with designing lines assuming the team is 100% healthy as we tend to do when we muse over it during the summer. Neither Stajan nor Brouwer is likely to be benched.

Really there is endless combinations to be imagined. Especially since many of these players can play multiple positions. Frolik (LW/RW), Bennett (C, LW), Versteeg (RW/LW), Ferland (LW/RW), Lazar (C/RW). It is interesting to note however that Versteeg, Brouwer, Lazar, Hamilton, Foo and Hathaway are the only right shots. Lazar is the only potential right shot centre although putting him on RW with a left shot centre gives the potential for strong side face-offs on either side of the rink. The rest are likely to be RWers if anything because of their handedness.

Really you can make the lineup assuming everyone is healthy without Jankowski and Foo.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Frolik-Backlund-Versteeg
Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer
Stajan-Lazar-Hathaway
Hamilton

I think the best chance for Janko and Foo to make the team will be due to injuries. It seems unlikely Jankowski would impress enough to displace one of the 5 other centres although I think if he did moving Bennett to LW makes sense. I'm not huge on the idea of Jankowski playing the wing, to me he's a natural centre, even moreso than Bennett is. Foo may have the upper hand in making the team over Janko because he's a right shot RW. But the team still looks crowded when healthy.

You want talent to play with Bennett? I'd suggest Tkachuk on his LW or putting him on Janko's LW. I still think they may try Brouwer with Bennett again, I think you want one vet on that line whether its Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer or Bennett-Jankowski-Brouwer. Both lines have a nice mix of skill, grit and tenacity IMO.

Where's a natural spot for Foo? Since Backlund/Frolik have proven to be great with young players how about putting Frolik back on his LW and putting Foo on that line. Frolik-Backlund-Foo.

I wouldn't be hesitant to break up the 3M line. I think Tkachuk may be ready to take the next step and help be a catalyst on another line to give us a more balanced 3 line attack.

Should be interesting.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #433
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How many players named Fox are there at 1:30?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2017, 12:07 AM   #434
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Why do you feel that? If he does well in training camp then you have him on the team. You or me have likely barely watched him play previously.
Because I don't want him being the 13th/14th forward. Yes, I haven't seen him play. But just in my own point of view, would love to have Jankowski in the Flames' lineup next year.

Obviously we still have training camp and what not to see how Foo does, and if he absolutely wows Flames' management, then there is no problem that he is officially on the team.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:22 AM   #435
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
How many players named Fox are there at 1:30?
It was Bill Fox tribute night: https://www.unionathletics.com/news/...ns-hockey.aspx
Old 07-26-2017, 09:37 AM   #436
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

The statement about Foo having a chance to make the team is more about encouraging competition in camp and likely backing up assurances Foo received in the recruitment pitch - that he has a shot to win a place.
If Jankowski has a better camp, it is easy to then say that Foo was beaten by another prospect. Where it will be tough is if a veteran or two look really sub-par and a couple of rookies light it up.

I think the top 2 lines are locked in, and I am pretty sure Versteeg will be playing with Bennett. That then leaves 4 spots + press box for:
Brouwer
Stajan
Lazar
F. Hamilton
Foo
Jankowski
Plus other guys who may challenge, such as Hathaway, Shinkaruk, etc.

Who is the best to play with Bennett and Versteeg? I think that is where a guy like Foo or Lazar may fit best, as Brouwer did not look like he clicked with Bennett - but maybe they try to shoehorn him in there again?
Then who is the 4th line? Stajan is likely the centre, or possibly moved to LW if they want to give Lazar icetime at C.
I think F. Hamilton is the 13th forward.

Funny thing is that the Flames have players who have to skate on their off-sides in the top 6 to fill in the RW position, but in the bottom 6, it is likely the reverse
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:47 AM   #437
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

For the safety of all involved, keep Brouwer away from Versteeg. No collisions needed.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:58 AM   #438
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
Who is the best to play with Bennett and Versteeg? I think that is where a guy like Foo or Lazar may fit best, as Brouwer did not look like he clicked with Bennett - but maybe they try to shoehorn him in there again?
I would say a player with:
-A left hand shot to get Versteeg back on his easier right side (for defensive reasons)
-Speed and diligence on the forecheck
-A decent frame to slow down and cycle with Bennett
-A shooters' mentality

Five players fit all these criteria in my eyes:
Frolik
Ferland
Mangiapane
Poirier
Klimchuk

Take away the handedness (keep Versteeg at LW) or gunners (Add another playmaker) criteria and you add F.Hamilton, Jankowski, Foo, Lazar.

If Frolik and Ferland are playing on other lines already, that leaves us at seven guys who could play with Bennett and Versteeg (plus Brouwer... ew).

Foo definitely might be the guy. But from the primary list, I really like the idea of Poirier-Bennett-Versteeg / Versteeg-Bennett-Poirier... Emile would need to have an amazing camp but waiver status is in his favor over Foo, and I am not sure Jankowski should be playing wing nor should Bennett.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #439
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm not convinced Versteeg will be with Bennett but if they are together I'd have Tkachuk or Ferland on LW because I think they'd need a power forward to offset Versteeg's size. The other one would need to play with Gaudreau.

I kind of like the idea of Frolik-Backlund-Versteeg though and then have Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer or Bennett-Jankowski-Brouwer.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:25 AM   #440
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I'm not convinced Versteeg will be with Bennett but if they are together I'd have Tkachuk or Ferland on LW because I think they'd need a power forward to offset Versteeg's size. The other one would need to play with Gaudreau.

I kind of like the idea of Frolik-Backlund-Versteeg though and then have Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer or Bennett-Jankowski-Brouwer.
The problem with Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer is that 2/3 of that line is pretty slow; Bennett needs at least one line-mate who can skate with him
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post: