Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:
Default Possession Date This Week!

I'm taking possession of my first home this week, a new condo build. I also have my walk through at the same time.

I will obviously be as thorough as possible during the walk through but I thought this could be a good thread for any tips and tricks you can share, not just with the inspections but moving and the works!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:08 PM   #2
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd suggest you don't worry too much about drywall imperfections, obviously something big deal with, but any drywall repairs are going to involve repeated visits by the drywall guys plus a painter at the end. With my first place I was really picky, and it just wasn't worth it in the end.

I'd also see if you can get in to take a look at your place before the walk-through if you can, and take your time, that way on walk through day you're already prepared with anything you noticed...they are going to rush you and try to push you through as quickly as possible.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:47 PM   #3
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My friend had issues with toilets not being properly sealed or something like that. It's a condo so I doubt you have stairs but I know a lot of people (myself included) that completely ignored warning signs and now have annoying squeaks.. Make sure they're screwed and glued.

If you do find a bunch of issues that require repainting, try to negotiate a date after you've moved in to cover up any dings. I've heard that many builders offer to cover up dings from moving free of charge as an added perk.

Congrats
Old 08-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Those are both good tips. I definitely think I'll be careful with demanding things be fixed that may not be worth the effort and pain to fix. I know parents had a drop of paint on their carpet and they decided to go against re-carpeting the area for a couple of barely noticeable drops. Pick your battles I guess?

Also I'm moving in the same day as possession so any repainting will be done after anyways

Thanks guys!
Old 08-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #5
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing I heard, if allowed, bring sticky tabs. Toss sticky tabs on places that need a look over. Makes it slightly easier on the guys to figure out what needs dealing with too I hear (find and go to tab, then fix). You can consider grabbing a sticky note pad and cut it if no sticky tabs. Don't choose green as it on occasion resembles certain tape, choose hot pink or blue or something.

Also, don't be shy and walk around like you're stepping on egg shells. Open and close doors/drawers with a little extra huzzah. Stomp around the moment you hear a funny squeak. Not hard enough to break anything of course, but enough to figure out problems or "smoothness issues". Run hands on all sorts of surfaces to find rough patches and weird holes. You can always remove a tab and say you're willing to forgo repairs if they can offer you something? (Something could be as simple as not showing up so no annoyances for you, but if they offer something of value to you, why not?)

Also, keep an eye out for things installed upside down. Sounds silly, but seriously keep your eyes out. The second biggest complaint is stuff like random chunks of drywall and sawdust in weird places like drawers, cupboards and even inside vents and stuff. Usually, you can just wipe or vacuum it away. I've even seen drywall bits inside those glass domes that cover the lights and friends have wandered past it for months.

Biggest problem I hear with new builds is dust. If you're moving in same day, maybe consider hiring a maid service to just wipe everything down and vacuum carpets after your walk through and are in process of going back for your stuff?

Congrats on the new place.