Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #21
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames are better at grinding out wins than the Oilers. That's why they usually beat the Oilers and why teams that play that sort of grinding game like Minnesota and Phoenix rarely lose to Edmonton. The Oilers don't seem to be able to play that game on a regular basis. They do have the skill to run-and-gun with the likes of Chicago though.

This season, the Flames haven't been as good at winning those ugly games but as they showed when they played the Oilers 3-4 weeks back they still have that ability.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #22
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fact: Keenan will say anything to stay relevant in NHL circles.

The oilers are a good coach and stud d-man away. They have two sometimes three deadly lines.

With a coach like Tippet, maybe even Brent Sutter, they would win the cup.

Their degree of fail makes it hard to hate them as much as in the old days.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #23
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

An Oilers fan was complaining to me the other day, after watching one of their games. He said it was like watching a group of baby ducklings following around the Mother, which would be the puck. He said they have no idea how to play a position, they just 100% focus on getting the puck.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #24
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
I think you're agreeing, at least in part, with what Keenan said.
Indeed but it goes deeper in terms of how they all play, even as skilled players they all are too similar
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #25
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I don't think what Keenan outlines is the true problem with the Oil. Rather I think they have too many guys of the same type. It is a team built like a fantasy team not an NHL team.

Plus you don't win with goofs like Yakupov.
Same can be said for that goof Hall and Hopkins. You win with players like Eberle and Ryan Smyth. Can't believe they healthy scratched one of the only heart and soul players on that team.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #26
Sakari
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We can sit here and say the Oil are bad at drafting all day, but I have a feeling Feaster wouldn't have done a better job.
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sakari For This Useful Post:
Jsp
Old 02-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #27
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #28
Sakari
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck2 View Post
Same can be said for that goof Hall and Hopkins. You win with players like Eberle and Ryan Smyth. Can't believe they healthy scratched one of the only heart and soul players on that team.

Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #29
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
We can sit here and say the Oil are bad at drafting all day, but I have a feeling Feaster wouldn't have done a better job.
Who has said they suck at drafting? Save for Eberle their draft picks have all been easy safe choices. Most teams I think would have picked Hopkins, Hall, and Yakupov. Some teams at the time might have picked Seguin. All teams with hindsight would probably pick Seguin now. I don't think anyone is criticizing their drafting but how their team is being built. No defence or a NHL capable goalie, although Dubynk has looked good this year.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #30
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
So? No one is arguing that the flames are a model franchise right now. Both teams suck
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #31
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I don't think what Keenan outlines is the true problem with the Oil. Rather I think they have too many guys of the same type. It is a team built like a fantasy team not an NHL team.

Plus you don't win with goofs like Yakupov.
I've said this a million times to my buddies who are Oiler fans. Indivdually all their player are guys you want on your team. But the don't have a good mix of players. No stud 2 way players, no power forwards. All soft perimeter players. Hall Nuge and Eberle I would keep but fill in the gaps with different players than Gagner, Yakupov and Hemsky.

I really feel Tambellini has done a poor job. Eberle and Hall are in their 3rd years producing big points. Chicago and Pittsburgh were winning cups by now(teams that everyone seems to compare Oilers too). There is no reason the Oilers shouldn't be a shoe in for playoffs by now.

There strentgh is on the wing too. I would fire Tambellini because at this point he has done a decent job drafting the top picks which most seasons are no brainer. After that he has yet to do anything to improve the team. They are looking at 1 more year after this before they have serious cap problems yet they have yet to come close to making the playoffs. This year isn't looking good either
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #32
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I don't think its fair to compare the Flames and Oilers for the simple reason the Oilers have had a MUCH better draft position for years now.

But they did screw up with all their 1st overall selections IMO.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #33
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
LOL Keenan is the last person to talk about this stuff. Relying only on skill? Biggest culpreit of that I have ever seen. The Flames exclusively on skill to bail their lazy asses out and make the playoffs. We had emotion for maybe 5-10 minutes a game, we would just ring off 3 goals in that and get some half assed 5-4 win.
The last two seasons under Keenan the Flames were a very good team. They lost in the first round to very good teams. The season they lost to the Sharks in seven, I think they could have went all the way if they win that game.
How quickly we forget...
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #34
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
I am surprised how horrible the Oilers are offensively 5 on 5. I really thought they would be better this year, but it appears like they are destined for another top five pick.
Hall-Hopkins-Eberle have been unlucky this year. They are getting tones of shots and chances. They are also controlling the play to a great deal, but pucks just aren't going in for them.

In the Minnesota game for example they played against the Parise-Koivu-Heatley line all night and won the scoring chance battle. They just missed on their chances.

All of their on ice sh% are in the sixes or lower. That just won't last. Sooner or later the pucks are going to start going in, and then idiots like Keenan will go around barking about how the kid's suddenly discovered the inner secrets of will power and determination.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #35
Dienasty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The reason why there shooting percentages are so low, is mainly because there is no traffic in front of the opposing goalie. Most goalies can stop shots that they can see. Get a big body on that first line, he will create space, dig in the corner, and get those garbage goals. Look at simmonds, hartnell in Philly, knuble before that, franzen and holmstrom and cleary in Detroit I can go on and on. Once the oilers get that I can tell you they will be a very scary squad

Until then, they will get the occasional beauty goal, and score on the pp, but they will continue to get out played in 5 on 5 situations.
Dienasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #36
Dienasty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

This a joke? Heart and soul 4th liner that has been waived from 2 franchises? Keep dreaming. Way to overvalue plugs...
Dienasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dienasty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #37
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienasty View Post
The reason why there shooting percentages are so low, is mainly because there is no traffic in front of the opposing goalie. Most goalies can stop shots that they can see. Get a big body on that first line, he will create space, dig in the corner, and get those garbage goals. Look at simmonds, hartnell in Philly, knuble before that, franzen and holmstrom and cleary in Detroit I can go on and on. Once the oilers get that I can tell you they will be a very scary squad

Until then, they will get the occasional beauty goal, and score on the pp, but they will continue to get out played in 5 on 5 situations.
ES strength production was not a problem for Hall or Eberle in each of their first two seasons. It wasn't an issue for Hopkins last year.

They didn't have a big body on their line in the last two seasons so that clearly isn't the problem.

The Oilers should be looking for a player like that in their top six, but the lack of one isn't the reason for their 5 on 5 scoring issues when they have shown they can succeed in the past without.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #38
StAlbertFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Fact: Keenan will say anything to stay relevant in NHL circles.

The oilers are a good coach and stud d-man away. They have two sometimes three deadly lines.

With a coach like Tippet, maybe even Brent Sutter, they would win the cup.

Their degree of fail makes it hard to hate them as much as in the old days.
Wow... did you say Sutter?...Brent Sutter? you must be drinking to much Oiler Kool-aid. As the Flames go through this painfully long rebuild...it would do my poor aching Flames heart good to know that the Oilers might want to potentially waste years of all of this super talent with Brent Sutter as coach...yes please.
StAlbertFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #39
ThatOneFlamesFan
Draft Pick

This is relevant.

http://www.albertabattle.com/

Oilers fans are way ahead though.
ThatOneFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #40
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
ES strength production was not a problem for Hall or Eberle in each of their first two seasons. It wasn't an issue for Hopkins last year.

They didn't have a big body on their line in the last two seasons so that clearly isn't the problem.

The Oilers should be looking for a player like that in their top six, but the lack of one isn't the reason for their 5 on 5 scoring issues when they have shown they can succeed in the past without.
it wasn't a problem because they were playing run and gun hockey in meaningless games...this year they are trying to tighten up a little and maybe win a game or two.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ha ha stupid oilers , iron mike , oilers suck