Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #41
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Lol I don't want to turn this into a Tucker Carlson thread, but he did a segment the other night on....gypsies taking over a Pennsylvania town. Gypsies....yeah......what?
You want gypsies defecating in public areas in your neighbourhood?
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #42
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
He may have an NFL pension that they can't touch. He is 70 I doubt he does much work.

Quote:
O.J. Simpson might have made more than $600,000 during his eight-plus years in prison.

After Simpson was granted parole on Thursday, that money is now his to spend and can't be touched by the families of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald L. Goldman, who won a civil judgment against Simpson in February 1997 that, including interest, is now worth more than $40 million.
Quote:
O.J. played in the NFL from 1969 to 1979.

NFL players who played before 1982 get a pension credit of $250 per season per month. Multiplying that by his 11 seasons, that's $2,750 a month.

As part of a settlement in 2011, former players were given an extra payment of $124 per month per season in seasons played before 1975 and $108 per month per season in subsequent years. O.J. played six seasons before ($124 x 6 = $744) and five seasons after ($108 x 5 = $540) 1975. That's another $1,284.

Adding $1,284 plus $2,750, that's $4,034 a month.

That's what O.J. would have made if he elected to start taking out his NFL pension at the age of 55. Getting paid that for 105 months in jail would mean O.J. made $423,570.

But if he waited until 65 -- he just turned 70 -- he would collect 2.619 times that, according to the formula. That would make his pension $10,565 a month.

Based on 57 months in jail after his 65th birthday, that's $602,205
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-prison-nevada
Old 07-20-2017, 10:38 PM   #43
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Less than $100k per year. Obviously, for most Calgarypuckers, peanuts.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:15 AM   #44
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Less than $100k per year. Obviously, for most Calgarypuckers, peanuts.
Forgive me as I'm tired so I could be making a mistake, but doesn't the article state that he made 602205 over 57 months, 10565 a month, 126780/year?

It's late here and I haven't slept so I'm probably wrong, but i needed to write that (ocd)
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:14 AM   #45
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
OJ doesn't strike me as the kind of guy smart enough to stay out of trouble and not violate his parole conditions.

Over/under on his return to the clink? I say 12 months.
He's now 70, Aside from some piddly stuff did he not stay clean from 1995 till 2007?

I'll take the over for a nickle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

Sucks that a double murderer is walking free but there's no doubt the severity of his current sentence was impacted by what had happened in Brentwood, which legally speaking is certainly not right.
It really sucks for the victims family's and it destroyed their normal lives but I can't help thinking that verdict probably saved countless of others from being wrongfully charged and convicted of crimes they didn't do. I'm not saying it made the cops perfectly honest, but they get away with far less and that trial is a big reason why
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:28 AM   #46
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I doubt that he would do anything to put his son in prison.
what? you buy that theory ?

I've watched all these documentaries over the past few years. The one thing I don't understand is that the killings were brutal. The crime scene was a mess. Simpson should have been covered in blood. You're telling me that the guy got from the crime scene to his house, cleaned himself off without leaving blood residue at all and went from his house to LAX to catch a flight within the hour to Chicago.....all of this in 1.5 hours?

That's just what I don't understand. The police examined him medically the next day and all they could find was a small cut on 1 finger. Apparently, Ron Goldman was a martial artist or someone who was trained in self-defence.

I'm ready to believe that he did the crime but that part just doesn't add up to me. He seems to have cleaned up pretty well in a short timeframe.

Last edited by robaur; 07-21-2017 at 04:34 AM.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #47
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Forgive me as I'm tired so I could be making a mistake, but doesn't the article state that he made 602205 over 57 months, 10565 a month, 126780/year?

It's late here and I haven't slept so I'm probably wrong, but i needed to write that (ocd)
True, if he waited to 65 to collect his pension. I was just referring to him having made that over his jail term in general.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 06:36 PM   #48
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
OJ was facing life in prison if found guilty on 2 of his 12 charges. He was found guilty on all 12 counts, including both counts of first degree kidnapping with a deadly weapon. Regardless of what happened before the robbery, he wasn't going to get out in 2 years tops.
I guess you haven't been following along then because most of the legal analysts I've seen said the only reason he got the kidnapping charge and 9 years is because of the murders.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:09 PM   #49
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it will be interesting to see if OJ opts to live a quiet life out of the spotlight (i.e buy a home somewhere in Montana or Idaho), or does he choose to do something that will bring him attention.

after all, he has been a public figure for what 50 or so years in total - might be hard to live without cameras.

assuming those pension numbers are correct, one would think he could afford to live a reasonable lifestyle without having to do anything real work again.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:20 PM   #50
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
You want gypsies defecating in public areas in your neighbourhood?
Did you know that gypsies (Roma and Sinti) were nearly wiped out in the Holocaust. It's never mentioned because Roma are not a politically strong entity.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:56 PM   #51
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
OJ doesn't strike me as the kind of guy smart enough to stay out of trouble and not violate his parole conditions.

Over/under on his return to the clink? I say 12 months.
My thoughts are that OJ has had a few too many concussions. We have seen similar stories play out and the consensus was concussions. OJ may be in fact get caught up in some very risky behavior and there may be a medical reason for it.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #52
Nage Waza

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToewsFan View Post
Did you know that gypsies (Roma and Sinti) were nearly wiped out in the Holocaust. It's never mentioned because Roma are not a politically strong entity.
It is mentioned all the time. Let's not make something from nothing.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:04 PM   #53
Nage Waza

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
He should obviously still be in jail serving consecutive life sentences since 1995, but it sounds like Nevada has a pretty quantitative standard for parole release and he met all those conditions. It'll rub some people the wrong way but he should be free (for this crime)
He isn't in jail since 1995 because they messed that trial up, if I am following you correctly. He is currently in jail for a completely different thing, but I think that is what you meant. His current sentence is for over 30 years, and most of that is probably revenge for getting away with the murders.

He was a model prisoner and is getting out early, which I suppose is a good motivator for other prisoners, and probably makes life easier for guards.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #54
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
what? you buy that theory ?

I've watched all these documentaries over the past few years. The one thing I don't understand is that the killings were brutal. The crime scene was a mess. Simpson should have been covered in blood. You're telling me that the guy got from the crime scene to his house, cleaned himself off without leaving blood residue at all and went from his house to LAX to catch a flight within the hour to Chicago.....all of this in 1.5 hours?

That's just what I don't understand. The police examined him medically the next day and all they could find was a small cut on 1 finger. Apparently, Ron Goldman was a martial artist or someone who was trained in self-defence.

I'm ready to believe that he did the crime but that part just doesn't add up to me. He seems to have cleaned up pretty well in a short timeframe.
Green text alert

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:32 AM   #55
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I think it will be interesting to see if OJ opts to live a quiet life out of the spotlight (i.e buy a home somewhere in Montana or Idaho), or does he choose to do something that will bring him attention.

after all, he has been a public figure for what 50 or so years in total - might be hard to live without cameras.

assuming those pension numbers are correct, one would think he could afford to live a reasonable lifestyle without having to do anything real work again.
I have heard that he is moving to Florida. Nothing weird/criminal happens in Florida, he should be good.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:07 AM   #56
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

He's now out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LisaMiran...95695439843329
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote