Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-04-2017, 07:16 AM   #1241
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Has anyone used that one second plumber? My master toilet is a little slow to drain and isn't clearing the bowl on the first flush, so I thought I would give it a try before I swapped out my dual flush valve. It looks more fun than using a plunger.
One second plumber worked great. One shot and the toilet was back to flushing normally.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:55 AM   #1242
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm looking through and trying to compare some renovation quotes and am trying to compare window packages. Are there any brands to stay away from or should I be concentrating on the type of windows proposed instead of brand (the two quotes I am looking at right now propose Lux and Ply-Gem)

I am all for spending the money to get good windows, but really have no idea what I'm looking at.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #1243
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
I'm looking through and trying to compare some renovation quotes and am trying to compare window packages. Are there any brands to stay away from or should I be concentrating on the type of windows proposed instead of brand (the two quotes I am looking at right now propose Lux and Ply-Gem)

I am all for spending the money to get good windows, but really have no idea what I'm looking at.
You get what you pay for in most cases. I haven't seen a ton of difference between manufacturers if you are quoting the same type of window. IE: pvc, wood, metal frame.

Look at a few brands and get a feel for the hardware, rigidity of the frame, etc. Don't get too swayyed by the cross section of the vinyl, they will show you how theirs has one more air pocket than the competition. Even the best windows are your biggest heat sink in the house.

Robust frames and hardware are a must. Argon is not worth spending money on. It dissipates over time. Seal quality is more important. Triple pane is worth every penny. Good seals, just like a car door. Installation must be done right. PVC windows flex and a bad install can leak both water and heat.

Energaurd built my windows and I am very happy with them. I am not familiar with either of the ones you mentioned. most of the stores around here deal with All weather, Jeld-wen, Gen-tek. I feel Energaurd are superior to all of them, and they are local.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #1244
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Finally got my garage insulated and drywalled. Now time to put up some shelving.

Used this website for the shelving in my old house as well. Love it. they cantilever out, so they don't take up any floor space (meaning you can park under them, or store other crap under them).

http://woodgears.ca/shelves/garage.html

Highly recommend the plans if anyone else is considering building some shelving for their garage (or basement).

Here are a few pics (during build) and post-build (showing the little storage areas I made underneath as well as my keezer)

https://goo.gl/photos/z3ZFFSofCQRbAnUTA
Thanks for this - I've been planning to do my storage room and garage using something similar to his cantilevered shelves. Any tips?
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #1245
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Thanks for this - I've been planning to do my storage room and garage using something similar to his cantilevered shelves. Any tips?
I just picked up the lumber I need to do my shelves this weekend.

From the last time it is easier to set up the cuts for the supports in stages (and set up a jig if you are making quite a few of them)

So if I need 45 supports, I'll cut the 45 pieces of 2x2 to the right length, then the angle.

Then I'll cut all 90 1x4 pieces that attach to them.

Saves a ton of time, especially with a jig that does the angle and length automatically.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #1246
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post

From my experience I prefer Lux > Ply-Gem. If you're looking at just PVC, ask Lux for a price to do the hybrid, which adds aluminum clad to the outside of the vinyl frame and sash. It's not a huge extra if I remember correctly. Adds more durability and allows for colour options beyond white/taupe. They're the only one's local I've seen do a hybrid.

Lux also is manufactured here, and their build time for me has been 3 weeks compared to 6-8 for some other manufacture.

Now, if you're looking for a high end wood / metal clad there are other companies I would consider.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 11:14 AM   #1247
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stick to Aluminum clad vynil (not wood) unless you live in a log cabin. Unless you're in a builder grade home in a generic vynil neighbourhood, having those start white vynil frames looks atrocious (unless magically you have a white trimmed house, which few do now). I always cringe when people go to the expense of getting new windows only to cheap out on the cladding.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2017, 01:04 PM   #1248
Guest1

Some of you my remember a jihad from last year to help me win a deck. Well, I lost, so we are looking at getting a new one. We got a quote from a company and it came in at 12K! After bringing out the AED to get a normal rhythm in my heart back, I asked a friend for a ball park basic deck: 8K
All I want is a 12x12 slab of something to put my patio set on... is it seriously this expensive?
Old 05-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #1249
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

So hard to tell. Does it include pilings? Railings? Height? Stairs? PT or Composite?
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #1250
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
Some of you my remember a jihad from last year to help me win a deck. Well, I lost, so we are looking at getting a new one. We got a quote from a company and it came in at 12K! After bringing out the AED to get a normal rhythm in my heart back, I asked a friend for a ball park basic deck: 8K
All I want is a 12x12 slab of something to put my patio set on... is it seriously this expensive?
I don't do exterior work so cannot comment on professional pricing but I did a DIY on my deck last year 16x12 in cedar for under 2K.

Last edited by surferguy; 05-04-2017 at 02:00 PM.
surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
V
Old 05-04-2017, 02:01 PM   #1251
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just built a pressure treated 12x12 deck with railings (no stairs) for $1200 in materials and $200 for someone to dig three holes and pour pilings.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #1252
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Under 2k, huh? Man, I've been thinking of pulling the trigger for a while, I just need to figure out what I want to all do. The mosquitoes at my place are insane, so I think it wouldn't make sense to do this without building a screen room too. Still, I could probably do the whole thing for under 5k.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:32 PM   #1253
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Under 2k, huh? Man, I've been thinking of pulling the trigger for a while, I just need to figure out what I want to all do. The mosquitoes at my place are insane, so I think it wouldn't make sense to do this without building a screen room too. Still, I could probably do the whole thing for under 5k.
I was surprised by the price as well. It took me all god damn summer due to the daily t showers but my time doesn't count.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #1254
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you replace the substructure as well, or just the decking?

I did my 22x14 deck for about $1000 but that was back in 2007 and I didn't need a huge amount of support as it is just off the ground.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #1255
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

The only thing I didn't replace was the ledger on the house. Everything else was new. I also did not have to drill any new piles

The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #1256
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What are you guys' opinions on a tub/shower combo in an ensuite?

Looking at getting some renovation quotes. Our current set-up has the never-used oversized jetted soaker tub and a separate shower.

If we combined it into a regular tub/shower combo we'd save a whole bunch of space then we'd be able to extend our vanity and countertop to add a double sink and storage.

Thoughts?

We're real practical so the tub/shower combo doesn't bother us but more thinking of re-sale in the future. Would this be a deal breaker for some people?
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #1257
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would skip the double sink. How often are you and another person using a sink at the same time? I used to want two sinks but was told the same thing I just said and it made too little sense to add another one after that.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #1258
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
I would skip the double sink. How often are you and another person using a sink at the same time? I used to want two sinks but was told the same thing I just said and it made too little sense to add another one after that.
I just did a reno last summer/fall and we added two sinks. Best feature ever. My wife and I get ready for bed at the same time basically every night and we always are using our sinks at the same time. I love it so much.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #1259
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post

Yeah, same thing. After considering it at the expense of additional counter space, the double sinks are not really a good use of the available real estate. People requiring exclusive access to a sink at the same time seems is a bit much.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #1260
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I was surprised by the price as well. It took me all god damn summer due to the daily t showers but my time doesn't count.
I had 4 separate quotes all around 15k for my deck last summer.

I actually thought they met for beers and colluded to charge me the same price.

I know there's labor involved but 15k total for 2 k worth of lumber is insane.

I can take a week off of work this summer, do it myself and still be in the black.