Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-28-2016, 07:49 AM   #1021
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
That's all kind of what I was thinking. This no neutral thing is new to me. I don't believe we planned for a double pole breaker, but I have to check.

I have some more questions now. The thermostats we have for the heaters are all rated for 3000 watt and 240 volts, but they only have 1 hot in and 1 hot out. The instructions showed to just attach the whites together. Does this sound like what you'd expect?

We're kind of in the middle of nowhere here and it might be difficult to get the correct breaker soon. What happens if you try to run something like this at 120 volts so we can get our inspection done and then swap the breaker later?

Regarding the amperage on the circuit, we actually have 3 heaters on this circuit totaling 2750 watts. We have another heating circuit wired similarly that will pull 2500 watts.

We're doing all new wiring ourselves in this place and my knowledge is probably a bit below where it should be for this kind of project, so we're learning it on the go. We pulled a self wire permit here in Manitoba and passed out rough in inspection. Getting close to calling for final. We even did most of the work ourselves for installing the new overhead service.

The funny thing is we didn't want to do any of the electrical ourselves, but it's almost impossible to get an electrician out here. We would have had to wait a minimum of 8 months, so here we are.

Thanks a lot for the replies. Time to go see what we have for breakers.
the thermostat will probably have 2 wiring diagrams, 1 for 120V and 1 for 240V, also you can't hook up your heater for 120V to pass inspection. What you can do however is have all of the wires inside of the heater and cap them off to pass and explain to the inspector that you don't have the 2 pole breaker yet. As long as no one peed in his cornflakes he should be alright with it.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 08:47 AM   #1022
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looks like we need to buy 2 20 Amp double pole breakers, one for the 2750 Watt heating circuit and one for the water heater. We have a 15 Amp double pole that came with the panel that we figure we can use for the 2500 Watt heating circuit. 15 Amp is probably sufficient for the 2750 one too, but the price difference is pretty negligible.

We opened up the panel at our other place here that had similar heaters so we could be 100% confident in how it should be wired, so I think we're good now. We should be able to get the breakers we need before final.

Regarding the thermostats, there are only two wiring diagrams, one for power coming to the thermostat first and one for power going to the heater first. I figure maybe the heater doesn't come on if L1 isn't powered regardless of L2. The thermostats are definitely rated for 250 volts, so that seemed logical.

Thanks very much for all the help. If we wanted to get a consult from a local electrician on this stuff we'd be sometime around summer 2017, so it's a huge help.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:04 AM   #1023
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

A 240 V thermostat should have two 'line' wires in and two 'load' wires out...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:14 AM   #1024
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is the one we have:
http://yourhome.honeywell.com/en/pro...-volt-rlv3100a
Old 07-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #1025
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Follow the wiring diagram on page 3 of the manual (I believe it's figure 2 you're looking for), it's correct. Also make sure that if you're planning on using that thermostat with multiple heaters it has a maximum rating of 3000W, it's very important to not exceed that or else you'll let the magic electrical smoke out of it :P.

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 07-28-2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:13 PM   #1026
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks again PaperBagger. We have 3 heaters on one circuit with one thermostat. Those are 750, 750, and 1000. We're going to put the 15 Amp double pole breaker on that one. The other circuit has a 1000, 1000 and 750 on three separate thermostats. 20 Amp double pole for that one I think we're all figured out.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #1027
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Got our final inspection yesterday. The inspector took one look at the panel and said, "Who did this?" I said, "I did." He said, "it's beautiful, man."

We passed, with thanks to you guys.

Spoiler!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aegypticus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2016, 05:04 PM   #1028
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Got our final inspection yesterday. The inspector took one look at the panel and said, "Who did this?" I said, "I did." He said, "it's beautiful, man."

We passed, with thanks to you guys.

Spoiler!
Professional looking install, well done!
Old 08-04-2016, 05:18 PM   #1029
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any experience working with Blue Lake Landscaping that they care to share?

We had a guy come out for some measurements and estimates. Was just going to be a bit of light landscaping and maybe fence repair/replacement. Ended up getting estimates for a new deck and irrigation system too. Guy seemed really professional and knowledgeable.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:18 PM   #1030
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently he's a good sales guy too.
V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:18 PM   #1031
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm looking to replace the ceramic tile in the kitchen and bathrooms, and I'm looking to rent this piece of equipment from Rogers Rent-all.

http://www.rogersrentall.ca/equipmen...4&key=038-0042

Has anyone used something similar to this before to remove ceramic tile? The guy I talked to said that it should work for small ceramic tile jobs, and when I asked him if it would remove the thinset/mortar underneath the tile to get down to the subfloor, he said it should, but I just want to hear it from someone who's actually used something like this before.

Does anyone have any other recommendations on a quick and easy way to remove ceramic tile flooring, including thinset removal, and prepping the subfloor for new tile installation?

Thanks in advance.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:29 PM   #1032
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used that a number of times to remove commercial vinyl tile. I don't think it'll do a great job on the thinset. Buy a scraper and put in some elbow grease, I would say.
V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:05 PM   #1033
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anybody wants to know what the second most disgusting household task is after anything toilet-related; it would probably be the cleaning of a front-load washing machine after somewhat neglecting it for the last few years. Door seal and soap tray, pretty much mildew central. I think early adopters of front-load washing machines in North America got screwed by lack of education about keeping these things clean, and easier maintenance.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2016, 06:08 PM   #1034
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I gotta say cleaning out the sink drain is worse. That smell could gag an elephant.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #1035
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I gotta say cleaning out the sink drain is worse. That smell could gag an elephant.

True. I did spend a day with the drain snake going through all of the kitchen and bathroom sinks, and bathtubs. I think the worst was this grey stinky greasy goo in the kitchen drain trap. Close second being the slimy hair that looked like drowned rats.

I was surprised that prior treatments with Draino actually did nothing, although there did seem to be some odd blockages in some drains. Mostly organic matter though.

On that note, I forgot to do the intake on the jacuzzi tub. There is a screen over it though, so fingers crossed.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #1036
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does anyone know what the going hourly rate is for a plumber?
We're looking to have 2 toilets and 2 bathroom vanities installed for a renovation.

Thanks!
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #1037
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
True story, I skipped shaving for two weeks this month because the bathroom sink was clogged and I procrastinated in unclogging it.

It's honestly less than 20 minutes to disassemble, unclog & reassemble the whole thing... but god it's a gross job. But I take some solace in the fact I'm saving at least $100 each time I do it myself.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #1038
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
True story, I skipped shaving for two weeks this month because the bathroom sink was clogged and I procrastinated in unclogging it.

It's honestly less than 20 minutes to disassemble, unclog & reassemble the whole thing... but god it's a gross job. But I take some solace in the fact I'm saving at least $100 each time I do it myself.
I just bought a new place and the drains were bad. It's one thing doing it when it's just your wife's hair and gunk in the trap. That's nasty, but it's manageable.

It's a whole other level of nasty when you're cleaning out a strangers hair and drowned rats.

I gagged writing that.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:13 PM   #1039
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I just bought a new place and the drains were bad. It's one thing doing it when it's just your wife's hair and gunk in the trap. That's nasty, but it's manageable.

It's a whole other level of nasty when you're cleaning out a strangers hair and drowned rats.

I gagged writing that.
Drowned rats?
Old 08-18-2016, 01:16 PM   #1040
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone referenced how wet hair in a drain looks like a drowned rats.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote