Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #241
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I've got the audio versions on my Ipod in case I'm on the road. I can do it in my hotel room or where ever I'm saying.

Yeah, I remember on Energy with the 3 ct when he gets you in a position, then says, we're going to hold it to a count of 9. You just have to stay there, your building strength in your arms and shoulders blah blah and then he starts counting.

When I first started doing stuff like Broken table, I got into the bad habit of doing my own countdown instead of focusing on the holding the position and doing things like pushing up on my shoulder and really pushing that leg back. When I stopped counting and just started focusing on what I was doing, I was much further ahead.

I'm thankful that I'd doing this workout alone, I would hate to be with a group of woman and going into human cannonball, because man that's the ultimate cutting loose fart position.
My wife has caught me letting them loose during Cannonball. I even saw a username on teamddpyoga called "JasonFartsDuringCannonball".
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #242
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Especially in RHC when you are doing Jackknife. I'm sure he is delaying the countdown on purpose!

I liked how he gets you into Alligator in Diamond Cutter and then after talking for 3 hours, asks YogaDoc for a number and Doc shouts out "5!" and DDP was disappointed with the low number.
I gotta ask, how hard is core, how different is it from the other workouts. I intend to start doing core in the next few weeks once I completely nail down fat burner I know I'm slow so what?)

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #243
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I gotta ask, how hard is core, how different is it from the other workouts. I intend to start doing core in the next few weeks once I completely nail down fat burner I know I'm slow so what?)
Core really really really works your abs. It is only 12 minutes long. Watch it through once and try to do one or two reps as you watch. Very effective though. I still have a lot of fat to burn from my torso but I'm starting to see definition in my abs. I've never seen definition in my abs before. The one thing that I have found with RHC, and I've seen others mention on TeamDDP, is that your heart rate doesn't go up as much on this workout. It is an ideal exercise to add to the end of another workout. Your heart rate is already up and you can focus on just killing your abs... and you kill them.

The first time I did RHC I just layed on the floor for half an hour after I was done because my abs were too tired for me to sit up right away. When I do cannonball (when you're coming home) I can usually grab the bottom of my feet, but during the first several times I did RHC my abs were too tired for me to bring my legs in tight enough to grab the bottoms of my feet. With this one I notice quick progress in what I can do after the first few workouts. My wife only does RHC (she has other workouts she enjoys more and adds RHC to the end of those workouts) and she is really impressed with the changes in her core (and me too ).
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #244
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just got through my first fat burner of this week. This is the first time I did it without the modifications, and didn't need to add in my own safety zones.

The only thing I'm really struggling with are the pounce and the sweep.

Its amazing how great these workouts make you feel and how much they make you sweat.

If anyone is one the fence this is a fabulous replacement for the old lifting weights stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #245
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just got through my first fat burner of this week. This is the first time I did it without the modifications, and didn't need to add in my own safety zones.

The only thing I'm really struggling with are the pounce and the sweep.

Its amazing how great these workouts make you feel and how much they make you sweat.

If anyone is one the fence this is a fabulous replacement for the old lifting weights stuff.
I can sweep my right leg through but my left leg not so much. It feels awkward, I'm sure it looks pretty silly too.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #246
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by return to the red View Post

DDPism - anyone else yell at the TV "shut up and start counting already!"?
Yup! Especially in Red Hot Core where you're sitting in Jackknife!
This is my third week. I'm feeling results but not really seeing any yet, I imagine it's different for everyone though. I don't have a heart-rate monitor though, thinking about picking one up but still not sure... When did you guys start seeing results?
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #247
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm thankful that I'd doing this workout alone, I would hate to be with a group of woman and going into human cannonball, because man that's the ultimate cutting loose fart position.
That right there is reason number one why I never have, and probably never will, go to a yoga studio.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #248
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
Yup! Especially in Red Hot Core where you're sitting in Jackknife!
This is my third week. I'm feeling results but not really seeing any yet, I imagine it's different for everyone though. I don't have a heart-rate monitor though, thinking about picking one up but still not sure... When did you guys start seeing results?
I saw some results after a couple of weeks, like in my arms and legs, but my abs and chest seem to take a lot longer. I felt results right away though. Each workout gets easier to do certain moves.

As far as my problem of chest and abs, I can see some results but I'm not burning fat as quickly as I hoped. I think they key part of that is I'm not strict on my diet. You look at how quickly some people saw results, Arthur Boorman being the prime example, and you'll find that they stuck to the entire program and were strict with it. They completely changed their diet.

I've now lost 5 lbs, maybe 6 if this morning's weigh-in isn't just a one day wonder. I lost most of my weight before starting DDP Yoga as I was diagnosed with diabetes late in 2012 and I really changed my diet to manage my glucose levels. My problem with not burning fat is that by the time I discovered and decided to try DDP Yoga, I also discovered that I can still treat myself to some poor snack choices and not dramatically affect my diabetes... then I got a bit carried away. Had I started DDP Yoga the same time I started my new diet lifestyle I'm confident I'd be an extra 5-10lbs lighter than I am today.

Maybe you need to cut out more "bad foods" from your meals, or add more workout days to your schedule. They key to any diet and workout changes is to have patience. Everybody is different and people will change at different paces.

I would recommend getting a heart rate monitor though. I find it really helps me to stay in my fat burning zone. I didn't use one for the first week and I can't help but wonder if my heart rate was over my zone. Keeping your heart rate in the zone will maximize your fat burning.

Also, did you take the 6 pics that the program recommends? When looking for changes in your appearance it is best to take those 6 pics as soon into the workout as you can (preferably on day 1) and then look back at them every 30 days. You'll notice more of a difference when looking back at those pics than looking in the mirror each day.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #249
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I saw some results after a couple of weeks, like in my arms and legs, but my abs and chest seem to take a lot longer. I felt results right away though. Each workout gets easier to do certain moves.

As far as my problem of chest and abs, I can see some results but I'm not burning fat as quickly as I hoped. I think they key part of that is I'm not strict on my diet. You look at how quickly some people saw results, Arthur Boorman being the prime example, and you'll find that they stuck to the entire program and were strict with it. They completely changed their diet.

I've now lost 5 lbs, maybe 6 if this morning's weigh-in isn't just a one day wonder. I lost most of my weight before starting DDP Yoga as I was diagnosed with diabetes late in 2012 and I really changed my diet to manage my glucose levels. My problem with not burning fat is that by the time I discovered and decided to try DDP Yoga, I also discovered that I can still treat myself to some poor snack choices and not dramatically affect my diabetes... then I got a bit carried away. Had I started DDP Yoga the same time I started my new diet lifestyle I'm confident I'd be an extra 5-10lbs lighter than I am today.

Maybe you need to cut out more "bad foods" from your meals, or add more workout days to your schedule. They key to any diet and workout changes is to have patience. Everybody is different and people will change at different paces.

I would recommend getting a heart rate monitor though. I find it really helps me to stay in my fat burning zone. I didn't use one for the first week and I can't help but wonder if my heart rate was over my zone. Keeping your heart rate in the zone will maximize your fat burning.

Also, did you take the 6 pics that the program recommends? When looking for changes in your appearance it is best to take those 6 pics as soon into the workout as you can (preferably on day 1) and then look back at them every 30 days. You'll notice more of a difference when looking back at those pics than looking in the mirror each day.
That's a great post. I think we all get impatient, especially when you look at the results that Aurthur and Stacey and some of the other got very quickly.

Losing a pound to 2 pounds a week is a healthy way to do it. I saw amazing results in the first few weeks because I went from a pretty terrible diet (I would eat once a day, and not the best foods) and very little physical activity. To changing my diet as I've laid out before, getting rid of refined sugars where I could, dropping things like Pop and cutting back on store made juices, and I dropped 5 inches off of my waist and nearly 30 pounds. Plus I went to doing this Yoga between 4 and 5 times a week. Now my weight loss has dropped or stabilized at a pound to two pounds a week.

But when I look at where I was to where I am, I can definitely see a difference in terms of my chest definition, my shoulders, and my stomach isn't quite as popped out. Plus the benefit that all of my belts are loose at the last hole, and I can basically take my pants off without undoing buttons, its awesome.

I will say that at some points, changing your life style can be tough. Having coworkers sitting there munching on a burger and fries. Not being able to go out for lunch with people because you don't quite trust yourself yet is tough. Opening up our work fridge and snack cupboard and seeing all of these sugery drinks and snacks when your stressed out is tough.

You just have to keep up with it. When you look at Aurthur in the energy workout, he is a miracle story considering where he was. But as DDP even said in the workout, look at how far he's come in 18 months.

We have all just started this, and I'm really grateful for this thread. guys like Buff and all of you have really helped me stay excited about this and on track and being able to share tips in terms of diet and workout is absolutely priceless to me.

Some days, I read this thread where people are doing the Diamond workout and core workout, while I'm still doing Energy and Fatburner after a couple of months, makes me wonder if I'm accelerating this fast enough, and if I push into the other workouts I might see faster gains.

You know what, I probably would. But I love the fact that I started doing energy using all of the Stacey modifications, and now I don't. I love the fact that only about three weeks ago I started doing fat burner, and I was doing modified in a lot of things and was completely gassed and safety zoning after about 10 minutes, and now I can get through it using the recommended safety zones, and the only modifications that I do are dropping to a knee when you do that 6 and 12 position with your hands to open your back, and I still have some balance problems on the three legged down dog to me pumps me up beyond all ends because I can see myself getting stronger in terms of the technique and wringing every drop of work out of this.

I know when I move to core in a couple of weeks, I'm probably going to be modifying it like crazy and groaning like a ####### as I clutch my abs in pain. But eventually I'll get strong in the technique and be able to do this properly.

DDP was entirely sincere when he said make this workout your own. I plan to do this, I'm not going anywhere so there's no need to rush different workouts.

As it stands my schedule this week was/is

Monday - Fat Burner
Wednesday - Energy
Thursday Fat Burner
Sat - energy
Sun Fat Burner.

Probably next week I plan to

Monday fat burner
Wednesday Energy
Thursday Fat Burner
Saturday Fat Burner
Sunday Energy.

Then I'll slide core in and reduce Energy by one.

In terms of my diet, eventually I'll mod it but focusing on white meats and lots of fresh fruits and veggies and smaller meals throughout the day is paying real benefits.

But if you make this thing your own, and really work towards owning each workout it might take more time, but man you feel better and more pumped by it.

Just my 2 cents, sorry for the blather

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #250
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think they can stress enough to "Make DDP Yoga your own".

There is no right way or wrong way, there is only your way.

This thread helps me to stay motivated as I see what others are saying and it helps me think about what I am doing and how I am doing and to see that I'm doing good. It also helps to be on the Team DDP Yoga site too as there is a lot of good advice and a lot of encouraging people there too. I don't have to post my concerns on that site, I just read it a few times per week and I see what people say to the other people to help encourage and support them and I can apply those words of wisdom to my own journey.

Side note, I did an impromptu fitness test on the weekend. I took my kids to the park and I grabbed a bar and did some pullups. I wound up doing six! Last time I tried was probably a year ago, and I struggled to do one.

Another key benefit that doesn't directly affect me is that my kids see me working out and they have an interest in working out too. The oldest one is only 8 so I tell him to just keep playing hard and when he is older I'll let him start doing workouts with me, but my actions are affecting my kids interests. That is extra motivation for me to keep a healthy lifestyle, so that I can influence my kids to do the same thing too so that they don't get lazy like I did as I grew older.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #251
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks for the advice, I just get impatient sometimes hah. Yeah I took pics but I'm waiting a month to look at them, so maybe there is results that i'm not seeing in the mirror. I think I have to change my eating habits to something like the captain is doing. I only eat a couple meals a day so my metabolism is pretty slow, so I'll try spreading that out throughout the day. That pesky belly fat is hard to get rid of.

I can definitely notice the advances in the workouts, even 3 weeks ago I couldn't do the stuff that I'm doing now so that is a positive for sure! Also the recovery time has been getting quicker. I'm dedicated in doing this so I'm excited to see what the future holds.

I also enjoy reading this thread to see how everyone else is making out.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #252
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
Thanks for the advice, I just get impatient sometimes hah. Yeah I took pics but I'm waiting a month to look at them, so maybe there is results that i'm not seeing in the mirror. I think I have to change my eating habits to something like the captain is doing. I only eat a couple meals a day so my metabolism is pretty slow, so I'll try spreading that out throughout the day. That pesky belly fat is hard to get rid of.

I can definitely notice the advances in the workouts, even 3 weeks ago I couldn't do the stuff that I'm doing now so that is a positive for sure! Also the recovery time has been getting quicker. I'm dedicated in doing this so I'm excited to see what the future holds.

I also enjoy reading this thread to see how everyone else is making out.
I don't kiss and tell.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #253
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tried the Double Black Diamond the other night...

Got about half way through and then the little guy started acting up but I can tell you that it was a relief that he was. I probably could have worked my way through it but at the half way point I was starting to fade fast.

It's funny because at the half way point I thought "damn I would be through fat burner already" Anyhow if arthur can do double black diamond I should be able to do it damnit.

Try again next week
Old 08-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #254
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well, I'm excited - finally ordered the product. Looking forward to contributing to this thread in the future.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Goon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #255
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Awesome welcome to the community, everyone in the pool splash.

(You'll get that once you start)

I did my energy last night after doing fat burners over the two nights before. It was amazing how much tougher it was because your doing different movements.

The broken table crunches kinda suck if you don't have your balance down

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #256
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
Well, I'm excited - finally ordered the product. Looking forward to contributing to this thread in the future.
I just ordered as well.

I haven't worked out, stretched, or played any of my normal sports in the past 2 years. I also have the worst flexibility of anyone I know (I can't touch my toes by almost a foot), so I am hoping to get 2 birds stoned at once with this program.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #257
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
I just ordered as well.

I haven't worked out, stretched, or played any of my normal sports in the past 2 years. I also have the worst flexibility of anyone I know (I can't touch my toes by almost a foot), so I am hoping to get 2 birds stoned at once with this program.
Congrats guys! You are making a good step. I enjoy doing DDP Yoga. I'm pretty much addicted to it. Sure, I'll get days where I'm motivated and I delay working out but once I get going I have never felt like I want to stop early.

I always felt that I was flexible but I really let that go over the past few years. I've noticed my flexibility increase since I started this in May. When doing downdog I can actually plant my heels on the ground whereas when I first started I didn't think I would ever get there.

Make sure you get a heart rate monitor. It really helps you pace yourself in the workouts so you can maximize the benefits of each workout. Get a good supply of towels or prepare to do more laundry because you will sweat! You will sweat.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #258
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have had this for a couple of weeks adding it into my work out routine and it is really quite good. I did the Double Black Diamond yesterday and around 1/2 way through I realized how much I was sweating and by the end of it my shirt was pretty drenched with sweat, which was a good feeling. I still find that when I am doing some of the workouts actually "locking myself in" or contracting the muscles is something I need to continually concentrate on.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #259
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I have had this for a couple of weeks adding it into my work out routine and it is really quite good. I did the Double Black Diamond yesterday and around 1/2 way through I realized how much I was sweating and by the end of it my shirt was pretty drenched with sweat, which was a good feeling. I still find that when I am doing some of the workouts actually "locking myself in" or contracting the muscles is something I need to continually concentrate on.
Even after 3 months I still forget to lock in all my muscles. Quite often I'll realize that I wasn't getting my glutes on that touchdown or diamond cutter. When I'm lunging and doing DR Rowes or punches I won't fully activate my lower body, just holding the pose is enough for me by the time I get to that part of the workout. However, when I do the "easier" workouts like Energy or Fat Burner I do work harder at full activation.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #260
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I make sure that I'm really aware on locking things down especially on activation. You almost look forward to the diamond cutter because at the end of it you can unclench things for a few seconds and shake them out.

On the lunge its pretty well unintentional lockup on the lower body. But I found that when you really envision the grabbing of the ball thing pretty well every muscle in your upper body goes into flex, I think its just getting into the habit.

Its funny as well. There are days that I get home and I'm tired or frustrated from work or traffic and there's no god damned way I'm doing this.

But I go into my room lay on the mat and just do the breathing, then you find yourself reaching for the T.V. remote and next thing you know your doing it.

I like the fact that when I'm doing things like the CT pushups, or the standing rows or standing punches, My arms and shoulders literally shake like an earth quake. Or just sitting in the broken table and pushing up on that shoulder my arm starts to shake and my leg has to work really hard to maintain balance.

I do want to punch him in the face sometimes with his delayed countdown.

"OK, get into table, then go to a plank, we're going to do CT pushups. Now we're going to hold here for a count of 9. Now look at Aurther he's owning it, and Stacy has a great modification, wow her heart rate is jacked. Now count it down 9. . . 8 . . ."

Me "You fargin bastig"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:

Tags
bang! , ddpyoga , guys do yoga too , not your mama's yoga , yrg