Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #81
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ice Player View Post
It looks like the NRA/GOP stategy has worked on you. Keep the population living in fear and keep those gun sales roaring along. What I am saying might seem harsh but its an opinion established through years of observation and interaction with Americans. Maybe some time spent outside of your home country might nudge your opinion more towards the world view.
Americans don't buy guns because the NRA is making them fearful. They buy guns because they are scared of the government. Obama has been the best gun salesman in history.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #82
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
That's great, then he shouldn't have any issues with stating his position on aspects of gun ownership.
If you want to debate an NRA spokesman, call the NRA. He's being asked to defend positions that aren't his.

As far as I can tell, nickerjones could pretty much own the same guns in Canada as he does in the states. So if you have a problem with his attitudes towards firearms, call your MP and get Canadian gun controls beefed up.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #83
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I didn't realize there needs to be anymore justification.

If there are proper controls in place like magazine size restrictions, mandatory safety courses, background checks.....etc, etc....why does one need a reason to own a AR-15 other than 'they are fun to shoot?'

Do you even own a firearm?
Recent mass shootings aside, out of the 12,000 or so firearm related deaths in America last year, about 300 were done with an AR-15....less than deaths by hammers and other blunt objects.

Americans need AR-15's more than they need handguns. You cannot fight enemies foreign or domestic with a handgun that has such short range.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #84
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
Americans don't buy guns because the NRA is making them fearful. They buy guns because they are scared of the government. Obama has been the best gun salesman in history.
why are they scared of the govt?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #85
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
It's simple math really and doesn't even involve the metric system.

more guns = more gun deaths, crimes, injuries, shootings, etc. etc. etc. not less.
Extremely simplified. You been watching some Piers Morgan lately?

Violence in any culture is a very complex issue. Take a look at Japan and Switzerland. One is heavily armed, the other not so much, .....both low violence rates.

You know, it is hard for a citzen to get a gun in Chicago. It is now overrun by gangsters and is the most dangerous city in the world.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikey_the_redneck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #86
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Also, Canada has around 4,000 registered AR-15s. Oh the horror.

Of course, we have magazine restrictions, and all that stuff.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #87
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
why are they scared of the govt?
Good question. I guess you'll have to ask an American why they bought a gun during Obama's presidency. Maybe the government is unaccountable and corrupt? Maybe the US is turning into a police state?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #88
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:

Violence in any culture is a very complex issue. Take a look at Japan and Switzerland. One is heavily armed, the other not so much, .....both low violence rates.

You know, it is hard for a citzen to get a gun in Chicago. It is now overrun by gangsters and is the most dangerous city in the world.
It is not even in the top 25 most dangerous in the US. Where are you getting your stats?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-25....html?page=all

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-2...a-2012-10?op=1
Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #89
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Ciudad Juarez would like to say Hola.
The Following User Says Thank You to Plett25 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #90
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good question. I guess you'll have to ask an American why they bought a gun during Obama's presidency. Maybe the government is unaccountable and corrupt? Maybe the US is turning into a police state?
Or maybe the NRA fills them with crazy ideas.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #91
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Extremely simplified.

[ . . . ]

Hil-arious.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #92
HPLovecraft

Exp:

Quote:
I would be far more fearful of the man that passed the Patriot Act than Obama, even if he did extend it.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #93
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

2500?

You think Americans only use their guns for defensive purposes 2500 times a year? It's a hell of alot higher than that.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #94
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
I would be far more fearful of the man that passed the Patriot Act than anything Obama has done.
Don't try to suck me into your partisanship. Obama didn't hesitate to extend the Patriot Act that Bush initially enacted.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #95
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
No, my post says I have posted before giving my opinions I would feel safer if I had one or even that I liked shooting them, opinions that arent't good enough reasons for people here. Hell, I have been told things like I am just another NRA /GOP sucker. Before Christmas I literally had 2 HATE messages from what I have to think is trolling posters ,since their join dates were recent, one of which said You should shoot yourself to see how much getting shot hurts ( or something to that effect), and I have also been told that I was raised/brought up wrong. That's not stuff that isn't right and I dont really have a want or a need to hear it again....If PIM got any messages or responses like I got I dont blame him for wanting to take a leave from CP.
First, those PM's and messages like that aren't acceptable, sorry that happened.

My point in asking you isn't to paint you as an NRA sucker, it's to find out what your actual reasoning behind your position is. This isn't about what you like, it's about why it should be legal for anyone to walk in and buy a handgun with incredibly limited restrictions. Does that not seem ridiculous to you? If not, why?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #96
HPLovecraft

Exp:

Quote:
Don't try to suck me into your partisanship. Obama didn't hesitate to extend the Patriot Act that Bush initially enacted.
So then why is Obama to be more feared than the actual architect of the Patriot Act?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #97
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plett25 View Post
If you want to debate an NRA spokesman, call the NRA. He's being asked to defend positions that aren't his.

As far as I can tell, nickerjones could pretty much own the same guns in Canada as he does in the states. So if you have a problem with his attitudes towards firearms, call your MP and get Canadian gun controls beefed up.
By who? Certainly not me, as I asked him explicitly to give me his views on handguns.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #98
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You are delusional
Old 01-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #99
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Also, Canada has around 4,000 registered AR-15s. Oh the horror.

Of course, we have magazine restrictions, and all that stuff.
as a matter of fact I stumbled on this the other day and thought it was pretty humorous after the arguments in here.. I mean on a Calgary based car message board... these guns sure are hard to get in Canada eh?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/365014/fs...-modded-rifle/

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/365045/fs...-combat-45acp/
Old 01-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #100
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
I would be far more fearful of the man that passed the Patriot Act than Obama, even if he did extend it.
Yes, we must all ignore the 'drone war' that Obama has been a huge proponent of, and forget about all those innocent children that are caught in the crossfire because someone is trigger happy.

And those kill lists? Not a big deal at all.
Closed Thread