Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #81
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Going to Pineridge 4plex tomorrow =)
I was hoping that after three weeks you were going to answer some direct questions people had asked you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
V
Old 07-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #82
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

FINE I'll answer some questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, unfortunately stuff costs money! So just for fun then? Or are you looking at contracting for money and get away from the desk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
You're already acting like a general contractor, since you haven't answered direct questions. I'm also just mad because my GC takes 30 minutes to stumble around an answer and he still doesn't actually get to the answer.

Are you looking to leave your desk job and go into working a trade (millwork, electrical, drywall, framing, etc.), or are you starting a business where you'll be the general contractor?
Not leaving my desk right now. Gotta pay bills somehow.
Long run I'd like to get into G/C'ing.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #83
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neat. How does that usually work with GCing? Do most of them specialize in one trade(going to school), then work towards understanding several trades? Or do most GCers not have any specific knowledge, and rely on their trades to figure it out? More like a manager who doesn't need to know the details?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:25 PM   #84
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Neat. How does that usually work with GCing? Do most of them specialize in one trade(going to school), then work towards understanding several trades? Or do most GCers not have any specific knowledge, and rely on their trades to figure it out? More like a manager who doesn't need to know the details?
For residential it really varies a lot.

Some come at it from a carpentry/trade angle. After working one specific area, say framing, if going to their own business will take on other general tasks (ie. hanging interior doors, installing windows, tiling, trim work, misc. finishing) and sub out any foundation work, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, mud/tape, roofing. As business grows they tend to have more management to do and have no time, or financial need, or motivation to continue to do physical work.

Others come to it from the office side, say an Architectural or Engineering Technologist who have gained experience with all aspects of the process. Generally they'll just manage most work through sub trades and hopefully have some skilled labour on staff for odds and ends or are able to implement some skill for things hard to sub.

For larger companies you'd see some who have some type of Project Management education and start with zero construction knowledge but figure that out on the job under someone. Don't think I've come across anyone who went this route working or owning a small residential contracting company.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 05:51 AM   #85
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, OK thanks! So most GC's have done a lot of schooling in some part of the industry and have lots of experience before moving on to that role. Good to know next time I need to hire one. I do have a major kitchen reno after I get this garage thing sorted and paid for...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:52 AM   #86
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
FINE I'll answer some questions!

Not leaving my desk right now. Gotta pay bills somehow.
Long run I'd like to get into G/C'ing.
Sounds like it's going to be a really long run. Hopefully you are youngish and can get the proper experience to get out from behind your desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
For residential it really varies a lot.

Some come at it from a carpentry/trade angle. After working one specific area, say framing, if going to their own business will take on other general tasks (ie. hanging interior doors, installing windows, tiling, trim work, misc. finishing) and sub out any foundation work, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, mud/tape, roofing. As business grows they tend to have more management to do and have no time, or financial need, or motivation to continue to do physical work.

Others come to it from the office side, say an Architectural or Engineering Technologist who have gained experience with all aspects of the process. Generally they'll just manage most work through sub trades and hopefully have some skilled labour on staff for odds and ends or are able to implement some skill for things hard to sub.

For larger companies you'd see some who have some type of Project Management education and start with zero construction knowledge but figure that out on the job under someone. Don't think I've come across anyone who went this route working or owning a small residential contracting company.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:55 AM   #87
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ah, OK thanks! So most GC's have done a lot of schooling in some part of the industry and have lots of experience before moving on to that role. Good to know next time I need to hire one. I do have a major kitchen reno after I get this garage thing sorted and paid for...
I know a guy
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #88
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Sounds like it's going to be a really long run. Hopefully you are youngish and can get the proper experience to get out from behind your desk.
Anyone can get a contracting license with the City and go to it but like most things, skill, knowledge and experience are important.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote