Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-23-2017, 12:15 AM   #741
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trew View Post
I noticed the new Kegs have a lift out section in the grill for refilling charcoal and wood. I wonder if that grill piece can be purchased and put on an older Keg?
I'm actually using the old style grill on my keg. It came with the one that has the removable section but I found it was terribly unbalanced and was only useful if you weren't using the water tray, and typically the only time I need to add more wood or charcoal is when I'm using the water tray on longer cooks. I accidentally dropped the original grill and it smashed, 100% my own fault not it's balance issues, but after that I swapped to the original grill which has a nice balance to it while you lift it with the grill tool.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #742
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

I looked at my barbecue grates on the weekend as I was heating it up and low and behold I found three bristle strands from my brush. I'm shopping for a wooden one.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:43 PM   #743
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to get better at cooking vegetables on my grill. Currently I just cut peppers into wide slices, brush lightly with olive oil, and turn a few times. They taste great, but they are cumbersome and sometimes fall though.

Anyone use a grill basket? Seems to be a good way to let any oil or debris fall though, while allowing some heat through to nicely roast the vegetables.

How about a cast iron skillet inside the BBQ?

My wife asked me to do some tater tots (I know - don't judge) a couple of weeks ago on a particularly hot night, and I was already doing meat on the BBQ. So I figured I'd use a foil pan and just toss the little buggers in there. They got stuck, disintegrated, and just ended up rather pathetic.

I have done some rosemary potatoes in a foil packet before, and they are fine, but I'm looking for something I can toss and shake and generally keep an eye on instead of a boring foil packet. Plus I'd like things like potatoes to be a bit more crisp.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:49 PM   #744
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Things like peppers and zucchini just cut in half oil and cook. You can skewer a few smaller veggies so they are easier to cook (onion, mushroom). Asparagus just put perpendicular to the grills.

I have a grill basket but I don't really use it, I get a better char right on the grill.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 02:21 PM   #745
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a grill basket and use it all the time. Cut up peppers, carrots, onions, broccoli, whatever. Toss in a bowl first with oil, salt and peeper and Italian seasoning. High heat for 7-10 minutes.

For tater tots I use a cast iron pan on the warming rack, works great. You can also do things like brussel sprouts, broccoli and kale in a cast iron pan, I do it on the warming rack so they don't burn.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 03:35 PM   #746
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also have a grill basket and use it regularly. It's great for veggies and specifically I make Quesadillas on the BBQ all the time and couldn't without the basket. If you haven't tried Quesadillas on the BBQ you don't know what you're missing!

As far as the cast iron pan, I have used this as well. A couple weeks ago I made fried chicken on the BBQ and it was excellent. The only way that could work is in a cast iron pan though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #747
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post

As far as the cast iron pan, I have used this as well. A couple weeks ago I made fried chicken on the BBQ and it was excellent. The only way that could work is in a cast iron pan though.
Never done this, but weren't you worried about starting an oil fire? Having a pan of boiling oil over an open flame sounds like a quick way to lose your eyebrows +/- skin.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:20 PM   #748
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
Never done this, but weren't you worried about starting an oil fire? Having a pan of boiling oil over an open flame sounds like a quick way to lose your eyebrows +/- skin.
I was a little worried, for sure! But it's not a huge amount of oil, or at least not the way I did it. I basically used a cast iron frying pan with about 1cm of oil and that was it. I did watch it carefully, and was worried, but nowhere near a hostile fire breaking out. The idea of actually deep frying on a BBQ would be insane though, IMO.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #749
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta thank the posters in this thread for helping my turn my BBQ'ing career around. Between suggestions of coating my grill with oil before applying meats and leaving the grill open for steak, I turned out 2 of the best steaks I've made in my life last night. Nicely charred on the outside with a good pink center. So freaking happy with the results.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:20 PM   #750
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.660news.com/2017/08/29/fi...ffect-calgary/

Well **** looks like I'm not grilling this week. Charcoal Briquettes are off the table and all I have is a charcoal bbq.

Crap.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 04:15 PM   #751
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hmmm, looks like I'd still be able to use my smoker as it is electric and not an open flame?
Old 08-29-2017, 07:28 PM   #752
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grilled zucchini is amazing on the bbq. I grill it year round at least 4 times a week but I am single so don't have anyone complaining about it....
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #753
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't sure where to ask this but figured may as well put the question here. Suppose it could have gone in the camping threads too.

Does anyone have this cast-iron walled griddle? If you do, would you recommend it? We do almost all our cooking at camp, over the fire, but with firebans on, we're looking at a standby or even something we can use regularly in conjunction with the campfire.

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:28 PM   #754
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excited for the grilling season to start again. Been looking at getting a propane BBQ for after work if I want to fire something quickly.

Any good recommendations for a medium sized Propane BBQ?
Old 03-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #755
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

When did grilling season end?

What is your budget?
Old 03-05-2018, 12:32 PM   #756
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
When did grilling season end?

What is your budget?
Ideally 200-400$

My grilling season ended when the snow started flying. Setting up the Charcoal grill in winter wasn't fun.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #757
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if you're looking for something you can use in the winter you might need to spend a little more? If it's just going to be for summer use you could get away with something smaller?

https://barbecuesgalore.ca/collectio...ch-320-propane

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.3...000761919.html

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.4...000850549.html

I have no idea what the quality of the last 2 is like.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #758
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

at $200 you will get a grill that will likely be replaced in two or three years because it is falling apart.

at $400 you'll get a slightly better quality unit. might not be a bad time to look at lowes, HD or CT to see if you can catch some kind of closeout sale from last year.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #759
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Ideally 200-400$

My grilling season ended when the snow started flying. Setting up the Charcoal grill in winter wasn't fun.
Kijiji?
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #760
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks!

I'll probably bump my budget up to get a decent propane grill then. Wasn't too sure what was the average price bracket for them.

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber