Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 04-18-2017, 10:55 AM   #561
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
huge drop today for United Airlines stock. Down 3.65%. Not sure if it will rally or not.

That translates to a 1.082 Billion Dollar drop of their market cap from before the incident.

Who'd have thought that investigations from the Department of Transport in both Canada and the US would be bad for business?

I guess the whole market must not understand the airline business.

Update: From when I started typing this post to now, it's down 3.76%. Based on my math each 1% drop is about a $230 million dollar drop. So a 0.1 drop is a 23 million dollar hit.
well, you know, dragging one passenger off so 100 can fly out the next morning is simple airline math.

oops.

So it seems breaking humans costs ~6 times as much as breaking a guitar. United better hope there isn't a dead puppy in a cargo hold somewhere....

Last edited by ernie; 04-18-2017 at 10:59 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #562
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
So it seems breaking humans costs ~6 times as much as breaking a guitar. United better hope there isn't a dead puppy in a cargo hold somewhere....
After the guitar incident, stock only briefly dropped and actually increased beyond the "starting point".
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:10 PM   #563
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
After the guitar incident, stock only briefly dropped and actually increased beyond the "starting point".
Yes well aware. That's what stocks and the stock market typically do. But such drops have very real implications for real people and companies. Even if the drop is temporary as they often are.

And it's worth remembering that this is the airline that in very recent past messed up a merger, had a scandal forcing a CEO and two other senior executives to resign, and have had a seemingly revolving door of CEOs. Further bad press doesn't help them as they've been trying to right the ship. This is a stock that has basically doubled in price since the hardships a few years ago. Sinking back down to those levels again would be huge (not saying they will).

Last edited by ernie; 04-18-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #564
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Yes well aware. That's what stocks and the stock market typically do. But such drops have very real implications for real people and companies. Even if the drop is temporary as they often are.
My point was that 2009 was obviously a more volatile time for airlines; many were doubting whether the initial drop could even be attributed to the guitar song (which is quite catchy by the way, check it out if you haven't heard it)
Old 04-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #565
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
My point was that 2009 was obviously a more volatile time for airlines; many were doubting whether the initial drop could even be attributed to the guitar song (which is quite catchy by the way, check it out if you haven't heard it)
Gotcha. I don't really think the song did much of anything to the stock price that was already sinking for the reason you mentioned. I was just mentioning it as it's pointed out as a reason they lost $280 mil in stock value.

This time it might have an actual effect though long term trends tended to have the stock overvalued and looking to drop to $60 per share or so already. This may hasten that which isn't a good thing as a rapid decline can be harder to stop.

What saves them is the way airports are always a hub for one of the 4 major carriers. You want to fly out of Dallas your best bet is American. St. Paul you take Delta etc. Choices are limited without going to different airports or limiting options.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #566
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other thing that limits the negative affect is that travelers already have a terrible perception of airlines and at the consumer level where sentiment might play a factor shop on price.

Business again will be convenience, comfort, price in some order then perception of the airline.

So from a actually usage standpoint they should be relatively unaffected. Though that only has a moderate impact on stock price where perception is as important as the underlying analytics.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #567
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the trigger for the stock today is that some reports came out (including the Wall Street Journal) that corporate clients of United are demanding their policies be reviewed.

Stock finished with a 4.27% drop today alone. From where it started prior to the incident, that is a 1.22 Billion Dollar drop in market cap.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:05 PM   #568
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

'they (did not) overbooked'? What's with these egregious parenthetical-based errors in thread titles, CP?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:53 PM   #569
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
'they (did not) overbooked'? What's with these egregious parenthetical-based errors in thread titles, CP?
Hush now. Or else....

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #570
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now they're murdering rabbits.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/0...es-flight.html
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:26 PM   #571
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
That looks like a belligerent animal.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:28 PM   #572
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do people really not know how terrible commercial holds are for animals? I'm too lazy to look, but I imagine the death rate due to various factors has got to be pretty high (and we're talking fractions of percents here).
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #573
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

They flew the Rabbit to O'Hare?

I'll see myself out...

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #574
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Do people really not know how terrible commercial holds are for animals? I'm too lazy to look, but I imagine the death rate due to various factors has got to be pretty high (and we're talking fractions of percents here).
I think it's the stress that gets to them. A couple times I've seen dogs come in with broken teeth and blood in the kennel because they're trying to bite their way out. Seemed like cats handled it better, on average.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:31 PM   #575
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I work with a rescue that flies dogs about once a month. We've never had any issues. Although, I am extremely hesitant to fly my own dogs and would only do it as a last resort.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:58 PM   #576
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

New policies at United:
http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/27/news...411/index.html
Quote:
  1. United won't use law enforcement unless there's a safety or security issue -- it won't call the cops simply to enforce its own policies.
  2. Boarded passengers won't be asked to give up their seats involuntarily unless there's a safety or security issue.
  3. United is increasing compensation to $10,000 for voluntarily giving up your seat.
  4. A "customer solutions team" is being created to assist gate agents to get fliers to their destinations. The team will also help crews find alternatives to displacing passengers.
  5. Traveling crew members must be booked at least 60 minutes before departure.
  6. United will add new annual training for its agents "that will equip them to handle the most difficult of situations." This begins in August.
  7. United will ask passengers during automated check-in or on its app if they're interested in giving up their seat in exchange for compensation.
  8. It is cutting back overbooking for last-of-the-day flights, like flight 3411 -- or flights that historically had few passengers voluntarily give up seats.
  9. Using a new app, flight attendants and gate agents can proactively dole out miles or other compensation "when a disservice occurs."
  10. The airline is cutting the red tape for lost bags. If a bag goes permanently missing, the airline is adopting a "no-questions-asked" policy. United will pay $1,500 for the bag and its contents.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:23 AM   #577
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

$10,000? Yes please.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drummer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 01:12 AM   #578
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stingl: Urgent trip to restroom gets man kicked off Delta flight

So that makes all three major American legacy carries that have screwed up. Gee, it's almost like you guys should all stay home.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:01 AM   #579
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was sort of joking when I posted they better hope they don't kill a dog...

I was reading an article last night that said something like 130 pets have died on flights in the past three years across all airlines (I assume US or North American ones). A third of those have been United. No idea what the rate is.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:51 AM   #580
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
There. That wasn't so hard. Problem solved. The next post after was someone who is ready and happy to be kicked off a flight.

I bet this also means they simply sell less seats beyond their capacity since buying the seats back will cost more now.
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote