Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 02-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #681
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
He was in remand/jail, which is for individuals awaiting trial or in for short sentences. I can understand some guy awaiting trial or who are in for only a couple months wanting to stay the hell away from Garland and not have a couple years added on for some stupid assault charge.

Prison however...that's where the real fun will be for Garland. Other prisoners serving life sentences who are desperate and have nothing to lose.
Yeah, that was my comment in the discussion as well. I think it will be different in prison. At remand, he has apparently been giving legal counsel to other inmates, cutting hair for other inmates, and is by all accounts, very "charming." I shudder at the charming description but perhaps he felt it would help him out while in remand, I don't know.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:38 PM   #682
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Psychopaths can seem extremely charming.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:41 PM   #683
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
....At remand, he has apparently been giving legal counsel to other inmates, cutting hair for other inmates, and is by all accounts, very "charming."....
I wonder if his advice included, "Don't kill someone." It does not always take a law degree to give good legal advice.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #684
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

So when does the defense get the opportunity to pursue a mental defect defense that Mbates mentioned a while ago? Is it during their submissions to the judge for sentencing? How does that work with after guilty finding by the jury?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:46 PM   #685
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post
To think that a lot of the key evidence could have been inadmissible because someone looked inside the capture kit bag without a warrant. Hopefully that's a lesson learned on future homicide investigations.

Great job by the CPS and Crown though.
I'd be willing to bet there will be an appeal and that it will focus on this. A lot of evidence admitted that was the result of an illegal search.

Either way, hopefully that cop got a huge reprimand over this. Idiotic thing to do.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #686
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
A lot of evidence admitted that was the result of an illegal search.
How was it allowed to be submitted? Read that the defense tried to get it inadmissible but no explanation why that was denied.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #687
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
How was it allowed to be submitted? Read that the defense tried to get it inadmissible but no explanation why that was denied.
I think the judge who allowed it determined that allowing it would not have a negative impact on the administration of justice.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #688
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't affect his charter rights according to the judge.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #689
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet there will be an appeal and that it will focus on this. A lot of evidence admitted that was the result of an illegal search.

Either way, hopefully that cop got a huge reprimand over this. Idiotic thing to do.
I thought it was only the black duffel bag that was searched illegally. Pretty sure proper warrants were in place before most of the other major evidence was obtained.
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #690
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would think it was allowed because it would have been found anyways once the warrant came through. I guess the question is what is the timeline between finding the duffel bag and shoes during the special raid to when the warrant was executed. It isn't like the info they uncovered during that raid helped them get the warrant. It was already being processed.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #691
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbe31 View Post
I'd heard this as well from a guard at Remand. Very surprising, as I've heard inmates generally don't take too kindly to people who harm kids. Perhaps a guilty verdict will speed things up! What a POS.
Inmates tend to draw a distinction between those that only kill kids, obviously for some weird sexual motive and those that kill a kid as part of a non sexual crime, particularly robbery or the like.
He may run into someone that will take offence at the crime but it also wouldn't surprise me if he can do his time in Gen Pop
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #692
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I agree, an appeal will come, the timeline on some of the gathered evidence is not good.

one thing that bothered me was the pic of the truck with the tarp(bodys) in the back was going south on macleod tr. near 58th ave, that's a full 20 blocks south of the Liknes home. seems strange to go that far south to get to Airdrie, did he think that was a safer route? it also seems strange to me that there was only one camera to catch that truck.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:22 PM   #693
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
He was in remand/jail, which is for individuals awaiting trial or in for short sentences. I can understand some guy awaiting trial or who are in for only a couple months wanting to stay the hell away from Garland and not have a couple years added on for some stupid assault charge.

Prison however...that's where the real fun will be for Garland. Other prisoners serving life sentences who are desperate and have nothing to lose.
I don't have any experience with the various systems but I have a friend who works as a guard (or whatever the specific title is) at the Calgary Remand Centre. I've been told that Calgary Remand is quite a bit worse and has more violence and less safety than places like Drumheller or Bowden or Edmonton. Remand is a pretty lawless place apparently.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #694
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I agree, an appeal will come, the timeline on some of the gathered evidence is not good.

one thing that bothered me was the pic of the truck with the tarp(bodys) in the back was going south on macleod tr. near 58th ave, that's a full 20 blocks south of the Liknes home. seems strange to go that far south to get to Airdrie, did he think that was a safer route? it also seems strange to me that there was only one camera to catch that truck.
He used Deerfoot/Glenmore/McLeod to get to the house. There was a cop that submitted various CCTV evidence of the suspected truck driving to the house in the evening, driving away from the house to Airdrie and returning to the house again in the morning. I think they had tracked the truck with a couple dozen different cameras.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 04:27 PM   #695
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I don't have any experience with the various systems but I have a friend who works as a guard (or whatever the specific title is) at the Calgary Remand Centre. I've been told that Calgary Remand is quite a bit worse and has more violence and less safety than places like Drumheller or Bowden or Edmonton. Remand is a pretty lawless place apparently.
I would agree with that mostly because maximum security prisons are much more structured, and they have the ability to set more rules and procedures when it comes to prisoner treatment then they do in remand.

Basically in max, they can pretty much lock you down 23 hours a day if you're a danger to others or yourself.

They can separate gangs and races in the maximum security system, they can reduce interaction between prisoners to a bare minimum.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:34 PM   #696
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I am relieved that the jury found the evidence as compelling and obvious as 99.9% of the rest of us did.
Setting aside what I would personally want to do to Garland if Nathan was my son, I am glad that there is no death penalty, and I hope that he dies alone in a 10x10 room, in about 74 years. He truly deserves a fate worse than death.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #697
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He used Deerfoot/Glenmore/McLeod to get to the house. There was a cop that submitted various CCTV evidence of the suspected truck driving to the house in the evening, driving away from the house to Airdrie and returning to the house again in the morning. I think they had tracked the truck with a couple dozen different cameras.
Is there more than one pic/video showing the white tarp in the back? as far as I know only one pic was submitted.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:40 PM   #698
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yep thats right. It makes a lot of sense that he would head for major routes with less stop and go traffic too.

Another thing is that heading North on McLeod in the morning from that area would likely involve a lot more traffic as I believe it was a work day.

Last edited by greyshep; 02-16-2017 at 04:42 PM.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:48 PM   #699
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Is there more than one pic/video showing the white tarp in the back? as far as I know only one pic was submitted.
I don't know. I would assume that there are other images but maybe that one image is the best evidence of a tarp or sheet or whatever covering up the bodies in the back of the truck. Other images may not have had as good an angle and just showed a piece of something white.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:56 PM   #700
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks to the jurors who went above and beyond in serving their city in this case.

Hopefully everyone whose lives were changed by this pos can find some peace.

I hope garland has a rough go in prison, he deserves to suffer for a long time