Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2013, 09:31 AM   #41
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump:

I am redoing my living room. I am putting in-ceiling speakers for the tv and adding two in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen. I think I have narrowed it down to the Denon AVR-2313CI http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-2313.../dp/B00829USMQ

or the Onkyo TX-NR717 7.2-Channel Home Theater A/V Receiver http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR717...keywords=NR717

Any thoughts or recomendations?

Also, for speakers I think I am going with the Monoprice ones. I am not a big audiophile so as long as the sound "good" I am fine and if they are cheaper, even finer. These are the selection of ones I am looking at: http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=109&cp_id=10837

I am a little lost as to which speakers to choose. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #42
Rapidfire999
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

for the Onkyo London Drugs has it at 499
Rapidfire999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rapidfire999 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #43
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
I think I have narrowed it down to the Denon AVR-2313CI or the Onkyo TX-NR717
As stated earlier in the thread, the Onkyo's have a bit of a reputation of HDMI/handshake issues. Decent receivers for the price point, but that seems to be the trade-off.

Personally, I've had at least one Denon in the house for the last 5 years. Don't think you'll go wrong with the 2313.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #44
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an Onkyo SR508 and a Denon 1713 receiver. I like the Denon better, the audio is great, but it is a newer model with network ability and a better Audyssey setup. I'm not an audiophile so these cheapish receivers suit me and I don't need upconverting ability.

I've been having recent troubles with the Onkyo ARC not working properly with my Sony TV. I was worried the HDMI out was failing. I was using a high speed HDMI cable from Monoprice so I didn't think that was the problem but I replaced it with a RedMere cable and now all is well. If you have a smart TV, I recommend these new cables when setting up your system. A little expensive when compared to other cables from Monoprice but they work well and don't put unnecessary weight on the HDMI ports which I've heard can fail. Great for long distances as well.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Last edited by Vulcan; 08-26-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #45
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I have an Onkyo SR508 and a Denon 1713 receiver. I like the Denon better, the audio is great, but it is a newer model with network ability and a better Audyssey setup. I'm not an audiophile so these cheapish receivers suit me and I don't need upconverting ability.

I've been having recent troubles with the Onkyo ARC not working properly with my Sony TV. I was worried the HDMI out was failing. I was using a high speed HDMI cable from Monoprice so I didn't think that was the problem but I replaced it with a RedMere cable and now all is well. If you have a smart TV, I recommend these new cables when setting up your system. A little expensive when compared to other cables from Monoprice but they work well and don't put unnecessary weight on the HDMI ports which I've heard can fail. Great for long distances as well.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
I have used these and love them. However, I have not been able to get them to work with HDMI CEC aka Bravia Sync. Have you?

I assumed because these are uni directional no data from the TV could be sent back to the receiver. So in those applications It wouldn't work. Maybe I am wrong though.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #46
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I have used these and love them. However, I have not been able to get them to work with HDMI CEC aka Bravia Sync. Have you?

I assumed because these are uni directional no data from the TV could be sent back to the receiver. So in those applications It wouldn't work. Maybe I am wrong though.
Gee, I haven't tried it with my Sony bluray but CEC used to work with a regular HDMI cable. I moved the blu ray player to the living room with my Denon. I just checked, I can control the Sony blu ray with my Panasonic TV remote. The
Denon receiver is also connected to the Panasonic TV by a RedMere HDMI cable, so ARC and CEC is working properly.

What I was having trouble with was when I turned on my Sony TV, it would turn on the Onkyo receiver but the TV would just show a blue screen without making a proper handshake with my Bell receiver. I'd have to turn the TV off and than on again. It's now making the handshake. Also when I tried to play anything from the Sony TVs internet connection the audio on the Onkyo receiver was broken up. The RedMere HDMI cable has solved these issues.

Last edited by Vulcan; 08-26-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #47
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Gee, I haven't tried it with my Sony bluray but CEC used to work with a regular HDMI cable. I moved the blu ray player to the living room with my Denon. I just checked, I can control the Sony blu ray with my Panasonic TV remote. The
Denon receiver is also connected to the Panasonic TV by a RedMere HDMI cable, so ARC and CEC is working properly.

What I was having trouble with was when I turned on my Sony TV, it would turn on the Onkyo receiver but the TV would just show a blue screen without making a proper handshake with my Bell receiver. I'd have to turn the TV off and than on again. It's now making the handshake. Also when I tried to play anything from the Sony TVs internet connection the audio on the Onkyo receiver was broken up. The RedMere HDMI cable has solved these issues.
Awesome thanks. I wasn't totally sure as I had tried it once before and it did not work, so I wasn't sure if it was the cable or something else. I was lazy and didn't do much diagnostic past that.

I admit I had a HDMI cable connected to the Redmere with a M/M extender. Maybe there was translation issues, maybe it was just the cable itself that was faulty.

I am going to try it again tonight, I got the new model of Redmere last week, and hopefully that will work. It is for a swivel mounted big screen, and I love not having a big wire coming out from the wall. Nice thin one that is smaller than the power cord..looks super clean.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #48
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks to Rapidfire999 I went with the Onkyo for a killer price.

I will hold your personally responsible for my audio visual enjoyment for time immemorial.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #49
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
Thanks to Rapidfire999 I went with the Onkyo for a killer price.

I will hold your personally responsible for my audio visual enjoyment for time immemorial.
Let me know how it all turns out for you.

I'm currently developing my basement, (slowly), and I'm needing to pick up some good deals on electronics.

I'll be using the Monoprice in-walls as well, so if this is worth the price then I should pick one up sooner than later.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #50
InBurkeWeTrust
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This HK receiver has very good reviews and is on sale at LD.

Might wanna grab it soon as there is only one left. I'd grab it myself, but I need to save up a bit before I can buy a receiver.

http://www.londondrugs.com/Harman-Ka...versamplifiers

The next closest price seems to be $699 at BB. Try price matching?
InBurkeWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote