Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Labour Day Classic!

Curious as to who will be attending the annual Labour Day classic between the Stamps and Eskimos? I have noticed that the last couple of years the game that was always a guaranteed sell out has not been sold out. Is there a reason why the game has not been selling out? Checking on Ticketmaster there are still at least 5-6 thousand tickets left for this year’s game in 2 weeks. There were times in the past where the Stamps had an absolutely brutal team (Feterick era) yet still sold out. I have also noticed that far fewer Edmonton fans make the trek south. There always use to be busses full of them, now there doesn’t seem to be that many. Just curious what might be causing a decline in the interest of this game. For me this has always been the biggest game of the year. Labour day weekend, decent weather, fighter jet fly by, tailgaiting, can't beat any of that! I know I’ll be there as I have for the past 15 years!
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going. Been going to the Friday rematch the last few years, but haven't been to the Labour Day game itself in forever. Should be a gooder. Huck it chuck it football!
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Curious as to who will be attending the annual Labour Day classic between the Stamps and Eskimos? I have noticed that the last couple of years the game that was always a guaranteed sell out has not been sold out. Is there a reason why the game has not been selling out? Checking on Ticketmaster there are still at least 5-6 thousand tickets left for this year’s game in 2 weeks. There were times in the past where the Stamps had an absolutely brutal team (Feterick era) yet still sold out. I have also noticed that far fewer Edmonton fans make the trek south. There always use to be busses full of them, now there doesn’t seem to be that many. Just curious what might be causing a decline in the interest of this game. For me this has always been the biggest game of the year. Labour day weekend, decent weather, fighter jet fly by, tailgaiting, can't beat any of that! I know I’ll be there as I have for the past 15 years!
It's just less interest in tickets in general. We sold out last week against the Riders, but that's pretty much our only guaranteed sellout of the season in recent years. And that's because you can count on about 10k tickets bought by Riders fans.

You're not going to get 10k Esks fans, and Stamps fans leave about 10k seats on the table to each game. Stamps interest, police cracking down on tail gating and McMahon becoming ****ier every year is all contributing in my opinion.

I think if they build a new stadium (rumour is they're thinking of it) maybe similar to Winnipeg's new one, with about 33 thousand seats, but a really nice new facility, and make the stadium a really fun, entertaining experience in itself, the Stamps will be back to regular sellouts. But the way things are now, 26k is the new norm, with higher attendance when Riders fans take over and that's about it.

Kind of a crappy situation, as it's starting to look a little embarrassing in the stands with almost a third of it empty most nights.

Last edited by jayswin; 08-20-2013 at 07:36 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
calgaryrocks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

yea, we are looking Toronto bad, such a good team but can't sell out
Old 08-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have probably been to 10 Labour Day Classics in the past. Can't make it this year. A new stadium would help a lot for attendance. Eskimos suck so not too many fans will come down from Edmonton to watch it.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think the overall CFL numbers are up (or at least higher than the 80's/90's) but from personal experience and reading some stuff on other forums it seems that the CFL in Alberta is seeing a bit of a decline right now.

I know I used to be a die hard, season ticket holder and now don't follow the league at all. From talking to others I know a lot of the fans that used to go to a couple games a year now have little to no interest and former casual fans have no interest either. This seems to range from changing demographics (kids, cabins, vacations) that take time from going to football games, more interest/access to NFL replacing CFL and not enjoying atmosphere of games (both extremes of no tailgating to obnoxious drunks).

The demographics should be replaced by younger fans taking place of older fans but it does seem like NFL is much more poplar in Canada than it was even 10 years ago and people are able to follow and go to their teams games much easier than they use to.

It also doesn't help that Edmonton has been pathetic for so long and that the Priders are now the main rival. But I do think the CFL needs to take a look at how they do things and how they turnoff fans that are not Prider fans. It is a great league that was fun to follow but if the continue along the path they are on it may only be Prider intersquad games left (which would probably be fine with the inbred hillbillies that cheer for the Priders but not great for the overall success of the CFL.)
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They need to allow tailgating. They have to bring back the football experience. When I was a teenager I loved going early and just walking around all the tailgating. Now if you can't drink and have a fun time tailgating why bother. There is a reason why NFL/NCAA football fans make the trek to games it is because of the party festival atmosphere.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I'll be attending the game. I'll be the drunk guy making fun of the Eskimos, be sure to say hello if you see me!
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I go every year. My last official event of the summer since the early 80's!
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
I'll be attending the game. I'll be the drunk guy making fun of the Eskimos, be sure to say hello if you see me!
I will be the guy wearing a Stamps jersey, be sure to say hello if you see me!
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
Fusebox
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm just about to leave for the stadium, I try to make it to every Labour Day game. A new stadium is desperately needed but it won't happen anytime soon. They need to re-develop that entire area, it will take massive investment that I just don't see happening anytime in the next twenty years.
Fusebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I think the overall CFL numbers are up (or at least higher than the 80's/90's) but from personal experience and reading some stuff on other forums it seems that the CFL in Alberta is seeing a bit of a decline right now.

I know I used to be a die hard, season ticket holder and now don't follow the league at all. From talking to others I know a lot of the fans that used to go to a couple games a year now have little to no interest and former casual fans have no interest either. This seems to range from changing demographics (kids, cabins, vacations) that take time from going to football games, more interest/access to NFL replacing CFL and not enjoying atmosphere of games (both extremes of no tailgating to obnoxious drunks).

The demographics should be replaced by younger fans taking place of older fans but it does seem like NFL is much more poplar in Canada than it was even 10 years ago and people are able to follow and go to their teams games much easier than they use to.

It also doesn't help that Edmonton has been pathetic for so long and that the Priders are now the main rival. But I do think the CFL needs to take a look at how they do things and how they turnoff fans that are not Prider fans. It is a great league that was fun to follow but if the continue along the path they are on it may only be Prider intersquad games left (which would probably be fine with the inbred hillbillies that cheer for the Priders but not great for the overall success of the CFL.)
What's all this Priders business? Is that like a gay pride joke, or is it something else? Just wondering.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusebox View Post
I'm just about to leave for the stadium, I try to make it to every Labour Day game. A new stadium is desperately needed but it won't happen anytime soon. They need to re-develop that entire area, it will take massive investment that I just don't see happening anytime in the next twenty years.
Just wait for the new Flames arena announcement. It'll be a little longer yet, but when it happens, get ready for a little Stamps related info as well.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
What's all this Priders business? Is that like a gay pride joke, or is it something else? Just wondering.
Just a name that seems to get Priders fans panties in a bunch.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote