Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 11:06 PM   #1
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Hartley "Pissed off" at flames morning skate

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/h...-monday-skate/

Quote:
A 25-minute practice — not the usual 45- to 60-minute skate, with the unspoken (or sometimes spoken) proviso that the beers enjoyed on Sunday would be sweated out on Monday.

“That was the plan,” said Flames head coach Bob Hartley of the morning skate-length workout. “You can look at my practice plan.”
Quote:
Hartley has kicked his team off the ice a few times during his tenure in Calgary. All coaches do that periodically, when attention is poor. But those who cover this team every day cannot recall a time when he walked off the practice ice and left them out there.
Quote:
Perhaps then, that’s why roommates Sean Monahan and Bouma were seen hustling into the Saddledome at 10:15 a.m. for a 10:30 a.m. practice Monday. It just could be that Monahan lost track of time while brewing lemon tea and honey for Bouma. Or maybe it just took him a while to locate the Neti pot for his ill roomie.
Quote:
As the affable Hartley kibitzed with the media however, who came upon the scene but Bouma himself. He was spotted over Hartley’s shoulder, ducking into the door to the Flames equipment room a full two-and-a-half hours after a practice he’d been sent home from due to illness.
Is this possibly a storyline that has been going on all year and is just coming to light now?

I remember years ago the flames were down going into the third after two disgusting periods and Sutter didn't even go into the room in the 2nd intermission. Thats the closest I've heard of a coach leaving mid practice. if memory serves they came back to win that game.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:19 PM   #2
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who wants to bet that Bouma has one of his best games as a pro next game?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:21 PM   #3
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I'm sure this isn't the first time Hartley has been upset all season. This isn't really news to me, coaches probably get a little testy when they're team is near dead last and the previous season made the playoffs.

Also no surprise who the author is here.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:48 PM   #4
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

wasn't there another time a few months ago where they showed up super hungover, and there was pics of them all at that concert the night before?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:57 PM   #5
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was mentioned in the other thread, but most teams have about an hour video scouting session before pratice. If that was the case, Lance and Sean were more than just late for their skating session.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:08 AM   #6
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
wasn't there another time a few months ago where they showed up super hungover, and there was pics of them all at that concert the night before?

I've partied with boums numerous times and many a handful. they were probably hungover.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:59 AM   #7
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt4flames View Post
I've partied with boums numerous times and many a handful. they were probably hungover.
Like actually partied with them, or that typical fan thing where you're in the same bar as them and call it partying with them?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 02:31 AM   #8
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Like actually partied with them, or that typical fan thing where you're in the same bar as them and call it partying with them?

Partied Partied. Been to the bouma house and Partied I'm banff with them. I was good friends with Derek smith when he played here.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:33 AM   #9
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm wondering if this is a trend of why they've been playing less the then stellar this season.
The Following User Says Thank You to gt4flames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 04:19 AM   #10
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Who wants to bet that Bouma has one of his best games as a pro next game?
I'll take u up on that bet? How much?
The Following User Says Thank You to TheOnlyBilko For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 04:44 AM   #11
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm wondering if this is a trend of why they've been playing less the then stellar this season.
Or hang in there with me ..... They might just not be that good yet.

I get what you mean that you have been friendly with these guys . I've been there too. I worked for a restaurant on 17th ave that the Flames would frequent alot. We would allow the players to hang out hours after we closed and we would drink with them and hang out at their homes and they would come to ours. Not this Flames team but. Mid to late 2000s teams .

I don't beleive this would be the reason for them to fall off this year. Alot of the vets who were counted on last year to produce just are not replicating their CAREER year again. These are the guys who are not partying alot. These are family men who have bigger priorities then the sauce.
Its a copout to suggest this now. The truth is the Flames added more youth into the line up this year and they just are not that experienced of a team.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 02-09-2016 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:32 AM   #12
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
No.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #13
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the team has lacked the passion they had last year. The never give up, always outwork the opponent mentality is not with the team anymore. The Flames got bounces last year but they created those bounces with hard work. This year the expectations went from lottery team in 2015 to playoff bound in 2016. They didn't have an is against the world mentality. I feel at times this year they have looked their worst since the rebuild began nearly 3 seasons ago.

Treliving kept last years team together and added 2 big pieces in the summer bthe reault is a team that has yet to get 2 games over .500 all year. I hope Treliving sends a message and ships out a few bodies by the 29th and the core of this team bounces back strong in 16/17 (not saying guys like Gio, Brodie, Johnny, Monahan have been bad either)
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think the team has lacked the passion they had last year. The never give up, always outwork the opponent mentality is not with the team anymore. The Flames got bounces last year but they created those bounces with hard work. This year the expectations went from lottery team in 2015 to playoff bound in 2016. They didn't have an is against the world mentality. I feel at times this year they have looked their worst since the rebuild began nearly 3 seasons ago.

Treliving kept last years team together and added 2 big pieces in the summer bthe reault is a team that has yet to get 2 games over .500 all year. I hope Treliving sends a message and ships out a few bodies by the 29th and the core of this team bounces back strong in 16/17 (not saying guys like Gio, Brodie, Johnny, Monahan have been bad either)
That passion and work ethic is draining. Its tough to consistently squeeze that out of the same group.

In reality most teams only play like that in the playoffs whereas the Flames played like it all year and the playoffs.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 08:22 AM   #15
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lol yeah the Flames youngsters go out quite a bit, I would to if I was making millions, actually I still do just don't make anywhere near that lol
Old 02-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #16
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That passion and work ethic is draining. Its tough to consistently squeeze that out of the same group.

In reality most teams only play like that in the playoffs whereas the Flames played like it all year and the playoffs.
Except teams like the Blackhawks seem to be able to manage it.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:39 AM   #17
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Except teams like the Blackhawks seem to be able to manage it.
The Hawks do not play at playoff intensity for 82 games. LA missed the playoffs last year because they held back too much of their 'playoff intensity' until it was too late.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #18
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Oh dear jesus it's not about "work ethic" "never quit attitude" or drinking too much.

Team save percentage is .899. That's dead last, 30th. Last year it was .911 which was 16th overall.

Team shooting percentage, which last year was 2nd in the league, has fallen about 1.5% putting us league average at 14th.

What that means is on any given night the other team's goalie outplays ours and we're getting about league average shooting. That is the recipe for a loser
Old 02-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #19
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Lol yeah the Flames youngsters go out quite a bit, I would to if I was making millions, actually I still do just don't make anywhere near that lol
It's also the flames youngsters who are producing the most. I have no issue with them partying as long as they keep playing this way. Our troubles this season is due to the veterans not playing well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #20
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Lifestyle can certainly affect performance. It might be good to have a bit of a shake-up happen to this rebuilding team.
Closed Thread