Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2014, 08:42 PM   #861
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I couldn't imagine Jankowski going from Canadian high school hockey right into the CHL, that slight frame, even slighter as a 17 year old would have been torn in two. College was the obvious and best choice. I suppose Jankowski proved some doubters wrong when making the very tough jump right to College leaping over the USHL... But the physical rigors of Major Junior could have been disastrous.
Personally I have always been on the fence with this, some people say the CHL is harder because of more games and some say College is harder because the players are more mature,bigger/stronger on average.

All I can say is if a good freind of mine with 25 years of scouting who probably knows more that both of us and our familys put together on young hockey players says Jankowski would have been better off in the OHL I won't bother to question him.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #862
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's fine, I'm not dismissing your friend but I'm sure there are other professional opinions that would say something completely different. I see the benefits of both paths, CHL or College hockey for prospects.

In Jankowski's case I firmly believe College was the clear and obvious path for him.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #863
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That's fine, I'm not dismissing your friend but I'm sure there are other professional opinions that would say something completely different. I see the benefits of both paths, CHL or College hockey for prospects.

In Jankowski's case I firmly believe College was the clear and obvious path for him.
We'll most likely never know for sure!
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:23 AM   #864
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
...I think he would have been a better pick for a team like the Wings that could have cultivated him in their system with low expectations until he's 25 or so. Not sure if he was the correct pick for the Flames who could have used the pick better on a player that could be NHL ready in the coming season or next. Time will tell....
I'm sorry, but this whole line of reasoning is just nonsensical. In the first place, why on earth would the Flames need an "NHL ready" pick from the 2012 draft for this or the next season? Will the Flames be in a position to make the best use of such a player's talents this year or the next? Given that they will likely be a bottom-five team, I can't imagine how it would make much difference at all to have the 2012 pick in the lineup.

In the second place, it makes NO DIFFERENCE at all which team selects a given player under the circumstances you have provided. If Jankowski turns into an impact NHL player, then this was a good pick. If he does not, then it is not such a good pick, or potentially a bad one. This holds true no matter whether he was drafted by the Flames, the Red Wings, the Senators, the Rangers, or any other NHL team—except for Edmonton, because they are no good.

People really need to stop arguing that picking Jankowski at #21 was bad for the Flames, but potentially better for some other team. The pick is what it is, regardless of which team made it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2014, 12:29 AM   #865
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes the college game is better for a player who needs to work on a particular aspect of his game because they get so much more practice time but then sometimes junior is better because it gets the player more used to playing a high number of games (and the travel).

But who really knows. I thought college would be great for Chucko because he needed to work on his skating but it really was not so good for his development.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:01 AM   #866
chanimal40
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe Dal Colle will move up considering the great playoffs he has had. Anyway who ever is drafted at 4th position is a good player as long as they stay at 1-4 rankings.
chanimal40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:52 AM   #867
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm still curious what position is most accurate as it pertains to Dal Colle.

I heard a lengthy interview with the head of the ISS and he continuously referred to him as a Centre who was playing wing this season. He is listed as a Centre on the ISS rankings:

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/

In their latest updated on April 15, they also had Dal Colle moving to 3rd overall, bumping Bennett to 4th:

Quote:
Michael Dal Colle has gone above and beyond with his recent play to surpass Sam Bennett for the #3 ranking.

“A spectacular start to the playoffs has helped both Sam Reinhart and Michael Dal Colle move up the ISS rankings”, comments ISS Hockey Director of Scouting Dennis MacInnis. “With their last chance to show their development before the draft, both are averaging close to two points per game, while leading their respective clubs towards championship titles.”
Most of the talk in this thread about Dall Colle is supposing he's going to be a LW permanently. In light of the fact he's apparently been a centre up to this season I wonder if he slots back there fairly comfortably. And if so, does that make him a more attractive option to us?

Kind of strange to note the ISS also lists Bennett as a LW.

Last edited by GoJetsGo; 04-28-2014 at 05:00 AM.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:32 AM   #868
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
I'm still curious what position is most accurate as it pertains to Dal Colle.

I heard a lengthy interview with the head of the ISS and he continuously referred to him as a Centre who was playing wing this season. He is listed as a Centre on the ISS rankings:

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/

In their latest updated on April 15, they also had Dal Colle moving to 3rd overall, bumping Bennett to 4th:

Most of the talk in this thread about Dall Colle is supposing he's going to be a LW permanently. In light of the fact he's apparently been a centre up to this season I wonder if he slots back there fairly comfortably. And if so, does that make him a more attractive option to us?

Kind of strange to note the ISS also lists Bennett as a LW.
He hasn't played centre in the last 2 years.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #869
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll bump this post for you.

Each team has their own lists, there is no monolithic universal draft board that each team follows. They have their own lists. I have no idea why this is such a tough idea for some of you.

There is no single one draft board to rule them all, one board to find them, one board to bring them all and in darkness bind them.
Each team has a list. Over the aggregate of 30 teams, there is a strong correlation between the first 30 players on those lists. If you took those 30 lists and averaged them out, you would have a theoretical list that represented something close to a consensus.

Some people refer to that theoretical list as 'the board'. Some people are pedantic and like to point out there is no actual single board. Of course there is no actual single board. Teams have their own rankings. Nobody disputes that. But rankings far outside that theoretical aggregate board can be recognized as being outliers. The colloquial term for those outliers is 'going off the board.'

It's a useful term. Most people understand what it means. The people who get their panties in a knot about the term seem to be the kind who dislike fans criticizing management, and default to a 'father knows best' approach to being a fan.

Sorry, but people are always going to second guess draft choices - on draft day and afterwards. It's part of the fun of following the whole thing. If you think that fans are too ignorant to express their opinions about the draft, may as well shut down all the draft threads.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-28-2014 at 09:19 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #870
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's a useful term. Most people understand what it means. The people who get their panties in a knot about the term seem to be the kind who dislike fans criticizing management, and default to a 'father knows best' approach to being a fan.
Nope, at all.

It's pretty funny how you've twisted my thoughts and words to come out with this narrative yet again. You've consistently thrown out accusations like this when people don't agree with you.

Yes, the draft is plenty of fun but the hysteria surrounding it from plethora of fans who spew out expert opinions is tiresome, if even one percent of that can be calmed a little, this board would be much better off.

But go on, keep up those ignorant thoughts about people who disagree with you.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #871
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Good lord. It's been arguing over "the board" and "each teams' different list" for half a week now.

Let it go everyone.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #872
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Good lord. It's been arguing over "the board" and "each teams' different list" for half a week now.

Let it go everyone.
Each team has their own arguing.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2014, 10:22 AM   #873
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Jankowski's Law - is an internet adage asserting that "As a discussion on CalgaryPuck grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Mark Jankowski and Olli Maatta approaches 1" or that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Mark Jankowski being drafted 21st overall
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #874
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Nope, at all.

It's pretty funny how you've twisted my thoughts and words to come out with this narrative yet again. You've consistently thrown out accusations like this when people don't agree with you.

Yes, the draft is plenty of fun but the hysteria surrounding it from plethora of fans who spew out expert opinions is tiresome, if even one percent of that can be calmed a little, this board would be much better off.

But go on, keep up those ignorant thoughts about people who disagree with you.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #875
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't see what me being of African descent has to do with anything, Yoho. Being a black man on a message board filled mostly with white people has it's troubles but this is uncalled for.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post: