Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #61
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Is that why he is unemployed?
Maybe.

Hey, you know what's close to Dresden?

That's right Teplice. What happenes in Teplice, ...
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeneas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #62
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Honey Badger View Post
[IMG]
Dubrovik along the Adriatic coast in Croatia. My parents and cousins have all gone and it's their favourite place in Europe.
I have been pretty much everywhere in Croatia, and while Dubrovnik is nice, Split, Zadar and Rovinj are coastal cities worth visiting as well. I particularly like Rovinj. It is a bid of an artist haven. And if you are driving to Istria, you should stop and visit some of the hill towns (Motovun and Hum are neat).

Dubrovnik is good though because you can visit Mostar in BiH as well... It's a pretty interesting city.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-26-2012 at 07:25 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:41 AM   #63
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I have been pretty much everywhere in Croatia, and while Dubrovnik is nice, Split, Zadar and Rovinj are coastal cities worth visiting as well. I particularly like Rovinj. It is a bid of an artist haven. And if you are driving to Istria, you should stop and visit some of the hill towns (Motovun and Hum are neat).

Dubrovnik is good though because you can visit Mostar in BiH as well... It's a pretty interesting city.
I couldn't agree more. We went to Croatia primarily to visit Split and Dubrovnik but flew in to Zadar because of a great Ryanair flight deal.

Having never heard of Zadar before, we drove straight from the airport in Zadar to Split, but had to stay in Zadar on the last Saturday and Sunday - and we were shocked at how beautiful it is and how much there is to do.

The Old Town is wonderful and surprises such as the Sea Organ and the dancing lights really added to our stay. We have resolved to go back to Zadar to see more of what it has to offer and next time, we will take the coastal drive to Split rather than the toll highway as the drive from Split to Dubrovnik was incredibly beautiful - and at times terrifying!
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #64
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
I agree with you on San Marino. Outstanding place to visit.

I much preferred the beaches et al north of Venice (Lido di Jesolo) to those at Rimini. Just so much to do at Jesolo.
Aqualandia! Jesolo was fun.

My favorite place in Europe?

Cote d'Azure. Rent a car in Nice and drive north. Beautiful
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #65
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Honey Badger View Post

Dubrovik along the Adriatic coast in Croatia. My parents and cousins have all gone and it's their favourite place in Europe.
Nice try but you can't fool me, that's King's Landing.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #66
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
we will take the coastal drive to Split rather than the toll highway as the drive from Split to Dubrovnik was incredibly beautiful - and at times terrifying!
I did that drive. It was great!

A shot out the car window:

Arriving into Dubrovnik at sunset:

Also, a lot of people skip Plitvice park in Croatia and go straight to the coast, but I'd recommend stopping there, especially if you have a car:

Lastly, you can get to Mostar (Bosnia) in a day-trip from Split. That's another thing I recommend.

BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackEleven For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #67
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Plus, there's The Sound of Music tour!
Which, when I took it a century ago, was actually quite fun. The tour guide wasn't all serious about it and made some tongue in cheek comments. They picked those of us from the hostel first and told us all to sit at the front. He later explained the hostelers tend to have more fun which is infectious. It's a great was to see some of the Salzburg sites.

I'm, with Flash, I'd recommend it.

I also agree with the people who are telling you to avoid Frankfurt. It was pretty much leveled in WWII so there isn't much history there. Going to the Rhine valley would be better or even visiting Mainz which is close by or Nuremberg would be better. I'd also suggest Heidelberg, great city with a pretty big University population. The Berlin suggestions are also spot on, it was a great city back in the early 90s when I was there (you could wander through construction sites and see parts of The Wall before they got ripped down and there was still an East vs West Berlin vibe.)

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #68
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I can't agree more with the suggestions for all of Croatia and Budapest.

Frankly, after having been to Venice, I'd never, ever go back.

I took a boat across the Adriatic from Venice to Pula, Croatia. Kind of a crappy boat ride (I hate being inside on a boat), but Pula was very, very nice.

Kind of a sleepy town, but with some amazing historical architecture. Pula boasts the worlds most well preserved Roman amphitheater, which is so well preserved it is still used as a venue for concerts and theatre. Warning, extremely large photograph.
Spoiler!

From there, I took a 6 hour ferry ride down the Croatian coast from Pula to Split. It was GORGEOUS.

Nothing like being on a slow moving ferry outside on the deck, sun beating down, with Gorgeous coastline and teal blue water all around. I felt like I was on a Mediterranean cruise, except without the Norwalk Virus.

From Split we went to the Island of Hvar and stayed there a couple of nights. It was wonderful. Party town, Croatia. Babes, beaches and Bacardi drinks.

Also, Dubrovnik was wicked too. That's where the film many castle/wall/coastline related scenes in this season of Game of Thrones.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #69
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With all this talk about Croatia, we are forgetting the places that the OP is actually going to go to.

Along the Rhine are some awesome things to see as well.

Spoiler!
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knalus For This Useful Post: