Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #681
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

We shouldn't read too much into it necessarily but Conroy did rattle off the prospects in this order after talking about Ekblad: Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisaitl

Scouting meetings are still upcoming so the Flames draft list is far from finalized.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #682
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipetype View Post
And I also agree, as I've already stated, there is no way Florida takes a 2015 first for first overall. It just doesn't make sense. Therefor, a 2015 first is not as valuable as ekblad. At this point.

Thanks for that analysis
Old 04-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #683
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get what you're saying. The 1st overall is a sure thing, the 2015 pick is not. But IMO, neither GM can take the risk. If Florida does the trade and Calgary's pick ends up being 12th overall, they'll be an even bigger laughing stock than they already are. If Calgary does the trade and the pick is a lottery pick, people will want Burke's head.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #684
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipetype View Post
I agree with what you are saying for the most part. All I'm saying is that first overall this year is more valuable than an undetermined draft pick in 2015 from my team other than buffalo. That is my thesis. I don't think I can be any more explicit than that. Too much could go wrong to pass on a guy like ekblad. That's all I'm saying nothing more nothing less.
This is exactly why Calgary should not go with the trade. As much I want the playoffs, we still can't tell the future and how well or how bad we are going to be next year. You're right, Ekblad is totally worth it. But, what if we do make it in the top 3, top 5, top 10? The draft will be way deeper and we will certainly regret the trade.

We could trade our 2015 first and to try and win games, but our team is still rebuilding, you just don't know how we'll do next year. It's best for us to safely draft 4th this year, and draft wherever we draft next year in such a deep draft. Besides, I don't think Burke will be trading our 2015 first, he knows how valuable it is.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #685
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Why? Is anyone going to change your mind? Are we going to engage in a reasoned, well thought out debate with one side convincing the other in the end?

I'll save my time.
I feel like I'm on acid.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #686
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Absolutely no chance Burke trades next years pick for anything... Unless it's Crosby, Tavares, or stamkos. He's been down that road of trading future first round picks under the assumption that his team would be much better the following year... He won't do it again especially with a draft as huge as next year.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #687
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Perhaps it's been addressed previously in this thread, but of the consensus top 5 (Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisaitl)... Who would likely be NHL ready for next year?
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #688
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
Perhaps it's been addressed previously in this thread, but of the consensus top 5 (Ekblad, Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisaitl)... Who would likely be NHL ready for next year?
Reinhart and Ekblad are probably the closest. Ekblad is physically the most ready.

Bennett needs some size, Draisaitl needs some skating work, and Dal Colle could probably use some more size too. However I think someone posted that Dal Colle was up in the 190 range ... so maybe not.

We'll be sending down whoever we get I assume.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #689
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Reinhart and Ekblad are probably the closest. Ekblad is physically the most ready.

Bennett needs some size, Draisaitl needs some skating work, and Dal Colle could probably use some more size too. However I think someone posted that Dal Colle was up in the 190 range ... so maybe not.

We'll be sending down whoever we get I assume.
Assuming we pick Dal Colle, I think we'll send him down for a year back in the OHL and then he can play for the Heat after. We should expect him in a few years. I too don't want us rushing players into the NHL like Edmonton.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #690
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the only one of the players we could "potentially" get that we wouldn't send back down for sure is Reinhart.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #691
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's no need to rush them. Send them down for a year and have them do what Drouin's doing now. We don't "need" them next year.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #692
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Assuming we pick Dal Colle, I think we'll send him down for a year back in the OHL and then he can play for the Heat after. We should expect him in a few years. I too don't want us rushing players into the NHL like Edmonton.
You can't do that. Dal Colle has to spend two more years in the OHL or make the NHL.

as for being ready for the NHL, I'd guess Ekblad, Reinhart and Draisaitl.

Last edited by Vulcan; 04-24-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #693
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Reinhart is the consensus number one forward, but for some reason every report I read isn't exactly a glowing endorsement. You read about Bennett, Dal Colle, and Draisaitl and it always seems like a the skill level is really highlighted but Reinhart is mostly just praised for consistency. Does anyone have a link to a good scout report on him?
Old 04-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #694
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
So Reinhart is the consensus number one forward, but for some reason every report I read isn't exactly a glowing endorsement. You read about Bennett, Dal Colle, and Draisaitl and it always seems like a the skill level is really highlighted but Reinhart is mostly just praised for consistency. Does anyone have a link to a good scout report on him?
I think people are just bored with him.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #695
FakenHaken
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/...-sam-reinhart/
FakenHaken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FakenHaken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #696
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
You can't do that. Dal Colle has to spend two more years in the OHL or make the NHL.
Sure you can. Their junior team must be eliminated from the playoffs first. 3 examples just this year in Porier, Klimchuk, and Kanzig
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #697
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just curious as to what people think it would take to trade up to the sabres pick and have our choice of the Sams. From every report and interview I've heard from the sabres it seems like they're high on Draisaitl, as well as they like both of the Sams. I think if they didn't mind moving down and having whichever one falls then it would be worth giving up a second or something to move ahead of the Oilers and take our pick.
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #698
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I think people are just bored with him.
Yeah, basically. I feel that the highly scouted guys that have been consensus top picks for a long time start to nitpicked the closer you get to draft day.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #699
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
Sure you can. Their junior team must be eliminated from the playoffs first. 3 examples just this year in Porier, Klimchuk, and Kanzig
Yeah, after his season is over in the CHL but the way he stated it, he was going to put him back in junior for a year and play in the AHL for a year the next season.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #700
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Just curious as to what people think it would take to trade up to the sabres pick and have our choice of the Sams. From every report and interview I've heard from the sabres it seems like they're high on Draisaitl, as well as they like both of the Sams. I think if they didn't mind moving down and having whichever one falls then it would be worth giving up a second or something to move ahead of the Oilers and take our pick.
If they're even willing to do it, probably something like a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd? I don't remember what the costs to move up have been in the past, but I think they were along those lines.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote