Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2024, 04:33 PM   #1
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Easy Car Theft with Antenna Relay Attacks

Didn't realize it's this easy and fast to steal cars now. A tin container or cheap faraday cage seems like a good idea. Parking on the street anywhere near your home seems like a crazy idea without using one.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 04:44 PM   #2
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ha! My car's a POS.

WINNING!
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 05:00 PM   #3
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

There has to be a way to prevent these types of attacks without destroying the connivence of keyless entry.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:01 PM   #4
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
There has to be a way to prevent these types of attacks.
There is no such thing as a secure computer system. You want keyless entry and convenience? You got risk.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 05:09 PM   #5
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I store my keys in a Faraday box now, even the keys for my cars in the garage.

They are about 30 bucks, and I have them neatly yet conveniently hidden. Just make sure you test it as soon as you get it. The ones I bought I can have the box in my hand with the keys in it and it won't unlock the car. But other guys here at work who've bought them, they don't work at all. A lot of them are non functional.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll also add, there's a lot of convenient ways to get a kill switch installed. In my F150 Tremor, I had the 6 overhead console auxiliary switches wired by a security guy in a way that they have to be in a certain sequence to engage the starter if I am parking it long term... which tends to be most the winter. But there's all sorts of creative ways you can wire stuff in.

Last edited by pylon; 04-29-2024 at 05:15 PM.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 05:34 PM   #6
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There has to be a way to prevent these types of attacks without destroying the connivence of keyless entry.
Well, that's the faraday box I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 05:39 PM   #7
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Faraday fob pouches and tin boxes work well but only when you’re not using your key fobs. If thieves really want to steal an expensive vehicle, they can easily time and wait for you to get in/out and steal the code then. What about garage openers, I wonder? Can garage opener codes be stolen the same way or are they on different transmission method?

Also, an afterthought, would a battery kill switch prevent this type of theft by not allowing a lock to engage? I think it should, eh?

Last edited by CaptainYooh; 04-29-2024 at 05:42 PM.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 05:48 PM   #8
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Faraday fob pouches and tin boxes work well but only when you’re not using your key fobs. If thieves really want to steal an expensive vehicle, they can easily time and wait for you to get in/out and steal the code then. What about garage openers, I wonder? Can garage opener codes be stolen the same way or are they on different transmission method?
My understanding is the majority of these thefts happen in driveways, and when everyone is sleeping.

But there's a point where "That's why you have insurance" kicks in.

The only reason I went the extra mile with my truck, is it lives full time outside and has some accessories out of the States plus Fox suspension parts that are obscenely expensive and I just don't want to go through the hassle to re-order it all and wait 3 months for everything if it's stolen.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:51 PM   #9
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Faraday fob pouches and tin boxes work well but only when you’re not using your key fobs. If thieves really want to steal an expensive vehicle, they can easily time and wait for you to get in/out and steal the code then.
Yeah, one of the videos I linked had the owner getting ready in the morning and had moved his keys from the faraday cage to his pocket and they got the car then.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:17 PM   #10
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Just picked up a farady box for our keys after our neighbor had his car stolen out of his driveway a couple of weeks ago. I don't leave the vehicles outside usually though, but better safe than sorry
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 07:51 PM   #11
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post

I'll also add, there's a lot of convenient ways to get a kill switch installed. In my F150 Tremor, I had the 6 overhead console auxiliary switches wired by a security guy in a way that they have to be in a certain sequence to engage the starter if I am parking it long term...
"In my truck I don't use in winter (lol) I cosplay that I'm on the Fury Road.
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigThief For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 07:56 PM   #12
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
On star on all new vehicles would eliminate this pretty quickly no?
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:23 PM   #13
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

People here in Toronto are getting their houses broken into and keys stolen. Cops (stupidly) even told people to leave your doors unlocked. Ridiculous.

I've seen people installing bollards too. My neighbor parks his ####ty minivan perpendicular behind his new GMC Sierra. Not a bad idea.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:30 PM   #14
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So they can get your fob's code just from being around it? You don't have to be pressing a button on it or anything?
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 08:36 PM   #15
Bankai
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Use your garage for cars. Stop leaving your junk inside and cars outside.

...If you have a garage for cars...
Bankai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bankai For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 09:00 PM   #16
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
So they can get your fob's code just from being around it? You don't have to be pressing a button on it or anything?
Yeah, basically just have it (battery working) powered and not inside a faraday cage. No noise, just 10-20 seconds and they're gone. I think some people try to put their keys further away from the front door/care but who knows how far they might be able to boost the signal to be sure.

EDIT: From 5 years ago lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankai View Post
Use your garage for cars. Stop leaving your junk inside and cars outside.

...If you have a garage for cars...
If you have garage but parked outside and had this happen to you . . . I'd be so mad at myself. Nevermind when catalytic converter thefts were all the rage. I assume that has died down?

Last edited by chemgear; 04-29-2024 at 09:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2024, 09:06 PM   #17
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Yeah, basically just have it (battery working) powered and not inside a faraday cage. No noise, just 10-20 seconds and they're gone. I think some people try to put their keys further away from the front door/care but who knows how far they might be able to boost the signal to be sure.

If you have garage but parked outside and had this happen to you . . . I'd be so mad at myself.
Thanks. Yeah, I read about it after posting. So basically, going to mall, work, restaurant etc should be fine if you're far away from your car? It's seems to be more of a problem at home.

Kinda glad one of our vehicles still has a key.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2024, 09:11 PM   #18
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Thanks. Yeah, I read about it after posting. So basically, going to mall, work, restaurant etc should be fine if you're far away from your car? It's seems to be more of a problem at home.

Kinda glad one of our vehicles still has a key.
Yes I think so. I've read that some people also "airtag" cars they want to steal in public places and find out where they reside - then do the antenna attack when you're home. But I assume that would be for newer and in demand models.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:09 PM   #19
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I think my car has a setting that disables the proximity of the fob even being able to unlock the door. But I guess they could manually bypass the door and still do the proximity thing to get it started.

I guess it wouldn't be safe if the car shut itself off if it stopped detecting the fob.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:19 PM   #20
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThief View Post
"In my truck I don't use in winter (lol) I cosplay that I'm on the Fury Road.
I get piling on people is the cool thing to do around here.... but.

I get a company car, and why would I use my personal vehicles in the winter when I get a demo from work? So I usually park my personal vehicles in the winter.

Regardless, I pull trailers, camp, do a lot of overlanding, and run a small business on the side that requires a truck in the summer and the odd time in the winter. And or some of the places I end up going, I need a pretty specialized truck to get access. The dealership kinda frowns on me loading a quad on the roof of a Golf R and driving it up sketchy at best logging roads in the middle of nowhere.

That would be the more polite reply than what I originally wrote.

Last edited by pylon; 04-29-2024 at 11:30 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post: