Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2024, 12:37 PM   #221
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Did anybody order a Steamdeck OLED and have to pay customs or duties?
On the price breakdown it will say "import fee" but it's really just the GST portion added to the price. I wasn't charged anything extra on top of that. I believe they used UPS for shipping.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 06:56 PM   #222
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How dumb is Rockstar games? I bought RDR2 during the sale because I thought it might be fun to play on the deck. Apparently some Russian yahoo linked my Steam account to their stupid Rockstar social games account login back when GTA V came out.

How rstar allowed people to do that without any confirmation that they actually own the steam account is beyond me but apparently a lot of people have had the same problem. I don't even know what email address they used and I can't find an email from rstar confirming it or anything.

You'd think a company that has made eleventy-billion dollars would have their sh*t together...so frustrating!
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:53 AM   #223
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just ordered the 512GB Steam Deck OLED and it was:

$689 steam deck
$34.45 import fee
$723.45 total
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2024, 12:21 PM   #224
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:47 AM   #225
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I just ordered the 512GB Steam Deck OLED and it was:

$689 steam deck
$34.45 import fee
$723.45 total

How are you liking it so far? How long did it take to be delivered?

I'm probably picking one up for when I travel and am too lazy to pay off the PC.

Edit: I ordered one today. Will add my thoughts once I receive mine and have a few days to play it.

Edit 2: Timeline for anyone interested in ordering one from Canada:
  • January 30: Order placed and I received the "Distribution Backlog" message from Steam on completion
  • January 31: Order has been packaged
  • Feb 1: Shipping label created with FedEx and estimated delivery Friday Feb 2.

So it looks like the 3-5 business day estimate is dead on even with the "Distribution Backlog" message.

Last edited by Since1984; 02-01-2024 at 03:58 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2024, 11:41 AM   #226
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
How are you liking it so far? How long did it take to be delivered?

I'm probably picking one up for when I travel and am too lazy to pay off the PC.

Edit: I ordered one today. Will add my thoughts once I receive mine and have a few days to play it.

Edit 2: Timeline for anyone interested in ordering one from Canada:
  • January 30: Order placed and I received the "Distribution Backlog" message from Steam on completion
  • January 31: Order has been packaged
  • Feb 1: Shipping label created with FedEx and estimated delivery Friday Feb 2.

So it looks like the 3-5 business day estimate is dead on even with the "Distribution Backlog" message.
I love it. I ordered mine on Dec 21st and got it Dec 28th. 7 days to receive it and I probably ordered at the worst time to ship anything in the whole year.

I've been a PC gamer forever but in the past couple years I've had little interest in sitting at desk in the evening after sitting at a desk all day for work. So I've really enjoyed playing anywhere in the house including in bed (actually the best).

The screen is fantastic, best screen in my house now. I've played Elden Ring and it looks great. Dave the diver is really fun. This past week I've tried some NES and SNES emulation which I've never done before and it was really easy to setup. For me the convenience and portability is more important than the power of my gaming PC.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2024, 02:29 PM   #227
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm also really enjoying the SD OLED, Mostly have just played Death Must Die, Vampire Survivors and Wolfenstein: The New Order. But I'm really liking the ease of use and ability to play anywhere.

I grabbed God of War on sale cause that's always a fun time waster as well.

Really looking forward to upgrading the internal SSD (to 2 tb) and thumbsticks(hall effect) when I feel like doing so.

Last edited by Since1984; 02-06-2024 at 02:37 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2024, 11:01 AM   #228
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ohhh, DeckHD screen mod.

Old 02-12-2024, 11:01 AM   #229
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been watching reviews all week about the handhelds and now Its just a matter of do I want the SteamDeck or the lenovo Go. Might just wait also for the msi claw.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 01:08 PM   #230
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not sure about the Lenovo Go or other handheld devices, but I currently have my steam deck set up to be able to lag free stream either my PC or my PS5. It's super slick.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 04:19 PM   #231
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

For those that own an Xbox (or subscribe to Xbox Game Pass), you can stream your games on your Steam Deck through the Greenlight app.

I don't really like playing with the input lag on XCloud streaming but locally streaming Xbox games from your console is almost seamless. Having access to Game Pass games on the Steam Deck is a game changer.
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesPuck12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2024, 07:10 PM   #232
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I'm not sure about the Lenovo Go or other handheld devices, but I currently have my steam deck set up to be able to lag free stream either my PC or my PS5. It's super slick.
I have a Go and I really like it. It's a bit bulky and it burns through the battery pretty fast if you're playing AAA games, but it's a great little machine.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 05:23 PM   #233
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1760818170603213025
Old 02-22-2024, 05:56 PM   #234
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The lengths people will go to to play DS games.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 10:43 PM   #235
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I ordered an Anbernic RG35XX H from AliExpress and just got it today. It's a surprisingly high quality retro handheld, especially for the price I paid of around $90.

I love my Steam Deck but this is way easier to throw in my bag to have something to play if I have a little time to kill. It won't run anything newer than PS1 or PSP but that still gives me lots of options. It comes with 1000s of ROMs but they don't include any Nintendo first party games. That's not surprising considering how litigious they've been.

There are better, and more portable, handhelds but this one seems to be the best bang for your buck option under $100.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote