Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #3041
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak
Once Green & Blue lines reach Airport Trail, connect the two through the airport and start a ring line that eventually circles the city and intersects with the existing Red, Blue, and Green lines (I'll be long dead before this happens)
If the S and SE lines had the same tracks and trains, connecting the ends to make a loop would seem to be an easy win - connecting the South Health Campus to the residential areas along McLeod.

Incorporating an airport connector into a circle line doesn't really make sense to me though. At such a large "diameter", the connections to the S and SE lines would be more like paralleling the existing spokes than making the wheel.

If I'm designing a circle, it probably doesn't make it all the way around. Instead, it's a Chinook -> Rockeyview -> MRU -> Westbrook -> Foothills Hospital -> Children's Hospital -> Marketmall -> U of C sort of line.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #3042
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the demand ever exists for a circle loop of Fixed LRT. Buses allow much more flexibility between the spokes and have much more flexible capacity given varying demand.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #3043
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
If I'm designing a circle, it probably doesn't make it all the way around. Instead, it's a Chinook -> Rockyview -> MRU -> Westbrook -> Foothills Hospital -> Children's Hospital -> Market Mall -> U of C sort of line.
That's exactly the route I'm thinking for the bottom portion of it.

Rather than stopping at the University, continue up along Shaganappi past Nose Hill to Country Hills Blvd then follow that and eventually turn east and cross the Green Line route at 96 Ave & Harvest Hills. Then, continuing past the airport and intersecting the Blue Line at 60 St. It might make sense as a "C" route rather than a circle, but by the time they're actually looking to build it, who knows what the east side of the city will look like? By that point, it might make sense to take the C-Train out to Chestermere.

Basically, something like this (with transfer stations with the different lines as indicated, and other stations where it makes sense)...

Old 02-28-2018, 08:19 AM   #3044
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Another day another broken down train.

Why would a problem at Sunnyside make the blue line 20 minutes behind? Do dumb!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:25 AM   #3045
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Another day another broken down train.

Why would a problem at Sunnyside make the blue line 20 minutes behind? Do dumb!
Probably because the train lines share a line downtown and a breakdown at Sunnyside would back up downtown?

The driver of the train I was on said a train broke down downtown.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:28 AM   #3046
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The voice over keeps saying Sunnyside.

Still. A now 30 minute delay is crazy

Old 02-28-2018, 08:33 AM   #3047
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The train broke down blocking 5th ave SW at 9th street. Apparently it was one on the circa 2001 trains. It has since been cleared.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #3048
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
The train broke down blocking 5th ave SW at 9th street. Apparently it was one on the circa 2001 trains. It has since been cleared.
which way, inbound or outbound? Because one should not delay the other this much.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:08 AM   #3049
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to the The Calgary Transit Twitter feed, seems like multiple train failures along the red and blue lines.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #3050
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the deal with the 302 lately? At peak times, there seems to be regular size buses more often then not and they are packed. Got on a bus yesterday and it was packed to the doors at Douglasglen. This was at 8:15am. I just missed the previous bus that was also a regular sized one and it was packed as well.

Where are all our bendy buses?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:34 PM   #3051
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I have noticed more than a few times, the trains downtown seem to almost not slow down at all while approaching red lights. I know the assumption is that they have the lights timed perfectly, but isn't this kind of flirting with disaster if somebody tries to make it across the street on an amber light?
Old 03-01-2018, 01:35 PM   #3052
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Where are all our bendy buses?
Probably on the N Centre Street routes.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:46 PM   #3053
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

In case you wonder if parking enforcement actually happens in Ctrain lots - they were in the Tuscany lot at 9am this morning checking vehicles for permits.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:12 AM   #3054
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man...these daily morning delays.. I just don't get it. Haha felt I had whined enough before so did my best to avoid complaining during the multiple morning delays the past week or two, but here we are again Monday morning again, train with a broken down door, causing delays...I just don't get it.

Seriously, for those who have lived in different cities where they had to rely on the train, did you experience delays almost every day? This can't be normal...can it? In 3+ years on the blue line I've never experienced anything like this, this regularly and long-term. Is the red line always like this, or has this just been an extra bad winter for it?

It's so perplexing how one of Canada's biggest cities has a transit system this flawed (or at least transit equipment) and prone to major delays in rush hour, especially in the morning.

Last edited by Sainters7; 03-05-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #3055
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only travel between Downtown to Chinook and back on the train, but don’t notice many delays except when there is something catastrophic.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #3056
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Man...these daily morning delays.. I just don't get it. Haha felt I had whined enough before so did my best to avoid complaining during the multiple morning delays the past week or two, but here we are again Monday morning again, train with a broken down door, causing delays...I just don't get it.

Seriously, for those who have lived in different cities where they had to rely on the train, did you experience delays almost every day? This can't be normal...can it? In 3+ years on the blue line I've never experienced anything like this, this regularly and long-term. Is the red line always like this, or has this just been an extra bad winter for it?

It's so perplexing how one of Canada's biggest cities has a transit system this flawed (or at least transit equipment) and prone to major delays in rush hour, especially in the morning.
Outside of the cold week mid feb I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. I take the redline to arrive downtown for about 7:45 and have been +/- 5 minutes pretty mich everyday.

How much variation in transit time was there when you rode the blue line?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:17 PM   #3057
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

You must be literally the last good train before it starts then, because I aim to be there by 8 and have been hitting the delays on the regular. It's insane how much it happens. Almost always due to a mechanical issue on the train ahead of us (according to the conductor announcements), which is weird because due to being the newest (and thus least busy) of the train lines, we almost always got the old trains in my 69th St days and it wasn't happening like this at all. I don't get it.

Yeah this one comes more frequently, that was the one knock on the 69th St line. In morning rush hour it'd come once every 6-8min, compared to what seems to be 3-5 on my current one.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #3058
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

More delays more breakdowns. Booooooo.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:16 PM   #3059
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ride the train maybe every two months. How does CT still have these Ctrain doors that can be held open and reopened in perpetuity

There is a reason every other metro system worth anything has automatic doors that don't let the stragglers hold open the doors for the next one who holds the door for the next. All the sudden you've missed 2 light cycles and both lines are delayed.

I'd probably blow my brains out if I had to watch this stupidity on a daily basis.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #3060
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

All lines stopped. Who is stuck with me?

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings