Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #221
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, forget the 100 points, I like seeing 'best skater' and 'most under-rated player'

Okay, the 100 points is nice too.

Will be interesting to see how far he climbs the prospect rankings this summer - I think he ends up in the 6 - 8 range
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2016, 08:25 AM   #222
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Starting to get way to excited for those two prospects.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:56 AM   #223
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

So Mangiapane is one of the best skaters in the OHL, he can finish (best at shoot out) and coach's love him (most underrated). Plus he broke 100 Pts twice, so he can produce and stay healthy.

How does this guy go undrafted and then go another 5 rounds without being selected!?!
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #224
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
So Mangiapane is one of the best skaters in the OHL, he can finish (best at shoot out) and coach's love him (most underrated). Plus he broke 100 Pts twice, so he can produce and stay healthy.

How does this guy go undrafted and then go another 5 rounds without being selected!?!
well the most obvious answer is that a lot of teams felt his game won't translate at the pro level.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #225
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

...because he's under rated, duh.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #226
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Fastest skater is very intriguing. Speed and hockey sense are the two biggest assets necessary for smaller players to translate their game to the NHL. His offense and consistency over the past two seasons helps to show his hockey IQ.

If he can become a Byron type player with more of a scoring touch then that's amazing value for a 6th round pick. And he's got at least a couple inches on Byron which doesn't hurt.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #227
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
Fastest skater is very intriguing. Speed and hockey sense are the two biggest assets necessary for smaller players to translate their game to the NHL. His offense and consistency over the past two seasons helps to show his hockey IQ.

If he can become a Byron type player with more of a scoring touch then that's amazing value for a 6th round pick. And he's got at least a couple inches on Byron which doesn't hurt.
Paul Byron is putting up some good numbers right now for a guy getting bottom line minutes and playing with bottom line players and getting crappy outlet passes from bottom pairing defenseman
Old 03-18-2016, 02:34 PM   #228
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Paul Byron is putting up some good numbers right now for a guy getting bottom line minutes and playing with bottom line players and getting crappy outlet passes from bottom pairing defenseman
Quite true, I was very happy to see him doing well even with Montreal being so horrible. He's one of the few bright spots in their season.

Let's just hope Mangiapane can make it without having a blooper reel of missed break aways being made of him in the process.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #229
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So Mangiapane is one of the best skaters in the OHL, he can finish (best at shoot out) and coach's love him (most underrated). How does this guy go undrafted
He wasn't on the power play during his draft year and was undersized.

Quote:
and then go another 5 rounds without being selected!?!
Because he went undrafted during his draft year because he wasn't on the power play during his draft year and was undersized.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #230
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
Quite true, I was very happy to see him doing well even with Montreal being so horrible. He's one of the few bright spots in their season.

Let's just hope Mangiapane can make it without having a blooper reel of missed break aways being made of him in the process.
Agreed. Byron having stone hands is his biggest weakness. Mangiapane might be closer to Johnson or Gallagher because he's shown to score 40 to 50 goals at the junior level. If Magianpane can weight 190lbs, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to play at the NHL level unless he's a super soft player like Baertschi or an apathetic player like Howse.

I think going undrafted and then drafted late should light a fire under Mangiapane and allow him to prove him skeptics wrong
Old 03-19-2016, 08:00 PM   #231
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Ho hum another game another 1g+3a night for Mangiapane in a 11-4 win.

Andersson 0 pts +3
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #232
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

That was a rout.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:35 PM   #233
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pollock with 2 goals in a 7-2 loss for OilKings. Seems like he's the only offensive guy on that team.

Looks like Edmonton n Med Hat will play one game play-in for the last wildcard. Pollock's season could be early next week.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #234
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm liking the look of Pollock. Finished 18th in WHL scoring on an Oil Kings team that is terrible. He's had no offensive support at all, he's 13 points ahead of the teams 2nd top scorer and 35 points ahead of their 3rd top scorer. They finished 18/22 in the goals scored column.

I'm sure he'll find playing in California far more enjoyable than Edmonton next season.

Last edited by JJ1532; 03-20-2016 at 12:09 AM.
JJ1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 11:29 PM   #235
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1532 View Post
I'm liking the look of Pollock. Finished 18th in WHL scoring on an Oil Kings team is terrible. He's had no offensive support at all, he's 13 points ahead of the teams 2nd top scorer and 35 points ahead of the 3rd top scorer. They finished 18/22 in the goals scored column.

I'm sure he'll find playing in California far more enjoyable than Edmonton next season.
This stat is pretty crazy.

Do you think he'll be the type of player that develops slowly in the AHL?
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:16 AM   #236
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

You are asking the wrong guy, I couldn't begin to tell you. I don't know him, I've never watched him play. Just find it interesting that some players who play with outstanding team mates have questions asked about them. "Is he producing 100+ points because of this superstar" etc. But with Pollock, he is doing the heavy lifting on a poor team with very little support. I'm just hopeful that he can join the Heat next season and contribute. With Kevin and the 2nd/1st round pick that came over in the Russell trade, I just think some are overlooking Pollock. I'm optimistic about him. But as for his development, who knows.
JJ1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #237
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Andersson, Mangiapane, and Sadowy aren't in the lineup today against North Bay. Any ideas why?
Old 03-20-2016, 01:05 PM   #238
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
Andersson, Mangiapane, and Sadowy aren't in the lineup today against North Bay. Any ideas why?
I believe regardless of how Barrie plays for the rest of the season it doesn't affect playoff seeding, so they are resting guys for the playoffs. Very common thing to do for CHL teams near the end of the season.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:59 AM   #239
druetetective
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Barrie will play Mississauga in the 1st round. Steelheads have a bunch of intriguing draft eligible prospects. Mike Mcleod, Nylander, Bastien and Sean Day. All are projected to go in or around the range where the Flames have a pick.

Looking ahead, Riley Bruce's North bay Battalion might put up a fight but it would take a huge upset to prevent a Barrie-Kingston ECF.

The west is murderers row with 5 teams that could go all the way, Although Erie and London are the favourites. Knights also have some potential future Flames. I'll be watching close.
druetetective is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to druetetective For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #240
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

McDonald named 3rd star for the month of March by the QMJHL. If you are wondering why stars of the month is announced on the 22nd, it is because the regular season has ended.

http://theqmjhl.ca/stars/meier-carri...onth-of-march/

Quote:
Mason McDonald, the Charlottetown Islanders’ goaltender earned the third star. In 4 victories, he maintained a goals against average of 2.23 and an efficiency of ,945, receiving on average no fewer than 40 shots per games. On 2 occasions, in Saint-John and Halifax, he made 40 or more saves. Last Saturday, he completed his 2015-16 regular season by recording a fifth consecutive victory against Acadie-Bathurst.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: