Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #101
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I saw a recommendation for the Back Alley, why the hell would anyone ever choose to go there? Unless of course you want a cocktail of every STI known to our species and to do coke off a fat chicks ass. What a hole. It made Cowboys look legitimate.

I've had the best luck at Mansion, but I rarely go clubbing.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #102
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Dude, for young girls, there's no way you can beat Roadhouse. Cowboys will be good for that when it re-opens as well. Although, if you're not white, you won't get in to any of those places until you're 25.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #103
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Dude, for young girls, there's no way you can beat Roadhouse. Cowboys will be good for that when it re-opens as well. Although, if you're not white, you won't get in to any of those places until you're 25.
Have you seen the Whiskey? It's like walking into a black hole.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #104
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Have you seen the Whiskey? It's like walking into a black hole.
In what sense? I used to frequent that place a lot when I was younger, but stopped going there a couple years ago. I think it's closed now though.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #105
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
In what sense? I used to frequent that place a lot when I was younger, but stopped going there a couple years ago. I think it's closed now though.
I don't want to be racist, but...
The Following User Says Thank You to 3 Justin 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #106
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I don't want to be racist, but...
oh haha... yeah I stopped going around the time the Africans took over. Not that I have anything against black people, I really don't, but I wasn't necessarily the "type" all the girls there went for.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #107
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I was one of the lucky ones that spent his 18th/19th year on Electric Ave, right on the tail end of it. Wasn't as bad as when the Skyroom was run by bikers, but still pretty crazy.

All very true stories:

1. Wait in line at the Fox, see guy get in fight with bouncer and literally get head kicked in. No one does a thing, cause they don't want their head kicked in, or want cheap booze.
2. See 30 man brawl in the middle of 11th ave in front of 3 cheers, see one guy get picked up and slammed onto hood of car that was in the wrong place, wrong time.
3. Coconut Joe's gets shut down because someone let off pepper spray on the second floor.
4. Have a few "$1 Sambooka shots, at the rear bar only, the rear bar only"
5. See (intoxicated) Theo and super nervous rookie named Jarome come into Fox with Sandy McCarthy. Very scrawny friend proceeds to joking ask him to go outside, McCarthy gives him a full face grab and tosses him. We all laugh. Everyone buys Theo a drink, and no one cares who the dark skinned guy with him is.

I have a few more good ones, but I'll have to think about it. I have to admit, Electric was probably the craziest (or mindless) place I have ever been to in the world.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #108
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I was one of the lucky ones that spent his 18th/19th year on Electric Ave, right on the tail end of it. Wasn't as bad as when the Skyroom was run by bikers, but still pretty crazy.

All very true stories:

1. Wait in line at the Fox, see guy get in fight with bouncer and literally get head kicked in. No one does a thing, cause they don't want their head kicked in, or want cheap booze.
2. See 30 man brawl in the middle of 11th ave in front of 3 cheers, see one guy get picked up and slammed onto hood of car that was in the wrong place, wrong time.
3. Coconut Joe's gets shut down because someone let off pepper spray on the second floor.
4. Have a few "$1 Sambooka shots, at the rear bar only, the rear bar only"
5. See (intoxicated) Theo and super nervous rookie named Jarome come into Fox with Sandy McCarthy. Very scrawny friend proceeds to joking ask him to go outside, McCarthy gives him a full face grab and tosses him. We all laugh. Everyone buys Theo a drink, and no one cares who the dark skinned guy with him is.

I have a few more good ones, but I'll have to think about it. I have to admit, Electric was probably the craziest (or mindless) place I have ever been to in the world.
Seems like as good as time as any to post this.
http://www.break.com/index/worlds-wo...eet-fight.html
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #109
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I've had the best luck at Mansion, but I rarely go clubbing.
Can't believe I forgot Mansion. It's pretty good, but 99% of the time it's really empty. Usually has a pretty high talent level but it's really loud everywhere so there's nowhere you can really go to talk and wheel
Cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #110
littlereddevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The last time I went to Thursden it was at least 70/30 guys to gals. It sucked.
Went not too long ago. Same thing happened. Seems like there's no girls on campus who go to Thursden.

What a waste of a night. Should have gone elsewhere.

Last edited by littlereddevil; 03-27-2012 at 11:29 PM.
littlereddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #111
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlereddevil View Post
Went not too long ago. Same thing happened. Seems like there's no girls on campus who go to Thursden.

What a waste of a night. Should have gone elsewhere.
Thursday night is ladies night at roadhouse, just make sure you go after 11 so you avoid the male strippers
Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #112
Jagermeister
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The best clubs in Calgary completely depend on you actually going to the bar and finding out yourself.
Through personal experience I absolutely hate The Back Alley (I think its a complete #### hole to be honest. If your looking to find a one night stand and appearance doesnt matter. I suggest here)
I've been to Radiopark and again I hate it. Its small and doesnt have much for a dance floor however if you know a group of people that is going to be there then it can turn out to be a half decent bar.
Ranchmans is country. However the place if FILLED with lots of girls, except there is some of an older audience. Also, you better like to line-dance, like country and usually long line-ups to get inside.
Roadhouse is one of my favourites, however I know many people that dont like it. Music is alright, but its normally filled with a younger audience. I think I have only had one bad night there and it was because I went sober.
The Republik (OMFG) on Friday nights is a good bar if you like Dubstep. It has a young crowd and in my opinion a decent bar if you like the music, easy to get to from the train station.
Vinyl used to be a favourite for me, however the last couple times being there all I can remember is the extremely hot environment and walking around on carpet that's soaked with alcohol. Its still decent if its busy, and usually has a young to mind 20 audience.

I've been to pretty much every bar and my suggestion is to do the same. Yes some people will say its bad, others will say its good. Its all about what you like. Between all my friends we all have different preferences when it comes to the "best" bars.
Jagermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jagermeister For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #113
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I can't walk to it, it probably sucks.

Kraft, Beer Revolution, the Unicorn, if you're going with buds from the office, after work on a Friday.

Commonwealth, Hi-Fi, Local 510 & 522, to make party.

Ship & Anchor, Drum & Monkey, Hop & Brew, for pub house. Ironwood if you're looking for a pint and good live music.

And I miss the Embassy, & Night Gallery... and now Marquee Room.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #114
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hudsons is a club? Now I'm less interested in checking it out.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #115
Cheerio
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
I wouldn't describe Hudson's as a club at all, but I've only been to the one near the UofA campus in Edmonton and I was extremely drunk so maybe my memory is a bit foggy
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheerio For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #116
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find the experience you have at any estalishment is factored largely into the group of people that you go with.

I had fun clubbing when I was 19-22 because I worked with and knew a lot of people who worked at various establishments. Going out with them was fun because they knew their way around and knew people everywhere.

If you go with people who are going to complain the whole time then get ready for it to suck because it will.

You also have to be able and willing to let go and engage a little bit. Go ahead and dance, everyone around you is also a drunk idiot and you'll probably never see any of them again in any meaningful context. Whats the worst that could happen?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #117
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

For me it was Outlaws back in the early 2000's. It was one of the few 'clubs' that would allow you in without fancy dress shoes. My friends and I didn't have much money back then, so we would pre-drink in the office complex parking lot beside Outlaws. One of us would distract the 'washroom guy' and we take a handful of vip no line, no cover cards. It was a good place for a couple years then when they renovated it went downhill.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #118
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

Every club is a good club when you are as good looking as me.
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #119
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I remember back in the early 2000s, Cowboys really didn't like letting Asians in, and a good chunk of my friends were Chinese or Indian. So while I turned 18, my buddies were continually denied at the door so I never went too much. I remember it as a fun place, but definitely with a racist undertone. I hope the new Cowboys is less discriminating than the old one.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #120
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Apparently after 9:00 they have doormen & coatcheck and such... so yeah, kind of a club.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend it. We had dinner there a few weeks ago and it was expensive lackluster food that seemed to be nothing more than reheated M&M meatshops fare.

Honestly it's like they took the worse things about Craft Beer Market, Original Joe's & Moxies and tried to blend it all into one. "Hey we decorated like a pub, but our staff is young & hot, and we've got a ton of TV's for the game... which you can't hear because of the loud music." Even the "taphouse" name is misleading, they've got 3 house brews on tap, but all their "beers across Canada" are bottled.

I dunno, place just rubbed me the wrong way. Poor value, bad food/drink, it's enough for me not to return.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post: