Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #801
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

That probably means Hammond can appear in sketches too.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:16 AM   #802
Burke Salad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hammond played a great Bill Clinton, perfect timing for what is likely another run at the presidency for Hillary.
Burke Salad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #803
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
Yeah I prefer Cecily over Colin. That said, I've seen Che a few times on Weekend Update. Seems like a pretty funny guy. And if Cecily gets more screen time, I'm okay with that as well.
I find it always takes me awhile to warm up to new cast members (I don't like change I guess), but Colin won me over pretty quick. I think he's got a great dry sense of humour and a very quick wit. Solid addition to the cast IMO.

For some reason Cecily has always kinda rubbed me the wrong way, and I didn't find her particular brand of humour very funny in sketches centred around her character. But over the course of last season, she's slowly winning me over with her clear talent and range. Probably for the best she's leaving WU and focusing more on sketches themselves.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #804
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.hypable.com/2014/09/22/ke...day-night-live
Quote:
This weekend’s Saturday Night Live premiere will be Kenan Thompson’s last, according to TMZ.

Thompson will reportedly depart the show after season 40 wraps next year. TMZ says he wanted to leave after season 39, but executive producer Lorne Michaels asked him to stay one more season because other cast members like Seth Meyers were already leaving.
The news is significant because the comedian is the longest-serving cast member currently on the show. He joined in 2003. Thompson also holds the record for the longest-serving African American cast member.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #805
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Oh thank god. I think he's terribly untalented. I can't believe he lasted this long.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burnin_vernon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #806
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bummer, he's been my favourite remaining cast member since the mass exodus of talent the last couple seasons (especially Hader). His Steve Harvey always cracks me up.

Can't believe all the turnover the past year or two, such a young cast now (just looked at the featured players profile page, I'm in my early 30's and after this season, I'm older than all of them save for Moynihan. That's depressing..). I guess the mantle of my favourite now goes to Killam, with McKinnon close behind.

Last edited by Sainters7; 09-23-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #807
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I guess the mantle of my favourite now goes to Killam, with McKinnon close behind.
I've never really liked Kate McKinnon and I wouldn't mind seeing her leave the show soon.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #808
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kenan's been phoning it in for the last couple seasons for sure. Same with Moynihan. Kenan had some great characters over the years though. The "scared straight" sketches where he was the inmate with Jason Sudekis as the cop lecturing a bunch of kids always made me laugh.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #809
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too bad. I always like Keenan. I've had some of my hardest SNL laugh moments at "What Up Wit Dat"?

He did a great Steve Harvey as well.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #810
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I liked "What up wit dat?" but moreso for Jason Sudeikis dancing in the red tracksuit. Cracked me up every time.

There was one he did awhile back where it was a techno rave type talk show and he would just have these one club hit wonders on the show to make fun of them. I enjoyed that one, but they stopped doing it awhile back.

I found most of the stuff he did now was not really specific to him, as in anyone could have played that character.

Apparently, he's refuted that he's leaving the show. I wouldn't mind him sticking around. I like him.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #811
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Keenan's Charles Barkley always cracked me up, even though it really wasn't a close impression at all. That and the recent combination of Jay Pharaoh's Shaq was a highlight for me.

On a side note those two were on fire the night Kerry Washington hosted too.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:55 AM   #812
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Season premiere was on tonight. Very solid episode. That first skit with the toys was frigging hilarious. Also, I dunno who that new kid is who did that whole "going down on a guy" routine on Weekend Update is, but man that material was gold!

And overall props to Chris Pratt on a job well-done.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:09 AM   #813
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I liked the dude with the bit on Weekend Update.
Not a fan of the toy skit.
Michael Che was good.
Aidy Bryant is getting better, even though she misspoke a few times in the opening bit.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #814
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
Also, I dunno who that new kid is who did that whole "going down on a guy" routine on Weekend Update is, but man that material was gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Meet The Newest Member Of The ‘SNL’ Cast, Pete Davidson

http://uproxx.com/tv/2014/09/meet-th...pete-davidson/

Lorne Michaels has hired standup comedian Pete Davidson as a feature player. He’s 20 years old.
The fourth-youngest cast member of all time. Only Anthony Michael Hall, Eddie Murphy, and Robert Downey Jr were younger when they became cast members. That's pretty good company to be in, although Hall and Downey only lasted one season, which was generally poorly received.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #815
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I was luke warm on the episode. Some of it was awkward.

I am sick of the vet office skit. We get it, everything will be dead and then they will go out for drinks.

The toy sketch was good. I didn't mind the flirting bar sketch. I've always liked Aidy. I think she's great.

They didn't use Kate McKinnon a lot this time around.

I didn't get the Maxie skit near the end. I know they were going for cheap NBC sitcom sketch, but I didn't laugh once. I don't get Kyle Mooney's humour.

I did like Weekend Update. Colin seems to be less uptight, so I guess adding Michael Che was good. I didn't like the Cecily Strong bit though. I'm not sure if the bit is just tired or if it's been too long since Cecily last did it, but it just seemed off. The new guy's bit was hysterical.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #816
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Aidy seemed oddly jittery during the episode. Kept screwing up lines here and there. But I personally thought the material was solid enough for it not to matter. And yeah I find Kyle Mooney's stuff to be generally unfunny. I wish they would stop giving him those digital skits. By far the worst thing of the evening.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:43 PM   #817
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pete Davidson knocked his weekend update bit out of the park. Perfect debut and hilarious.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #818
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really enjoyed the episode. Chris Pratt was great, the toy sketch was hilarious and weekend update was great - especially the new guys bit.

I too didn't get the sitcom sketch. It was really bad.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #819
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Pete was excellent, and the bar sketch was pretty funny, but not a great episode in my books.

Michael Che will really have to polish up his delivery, hopefully it was just nerves. Thought he showed promise on The Daily Show.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #820
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

thought the sarah silverman episode was great. Better than the last one
DropIt is online now   Reply With Quote