Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #661
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #662
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

'SNL' Scorecard: Did Jim Parsons Poop His Pants On Colin Jost's First Show?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4885129.html

After almost a month off for the Olympics, “SNL” returned last night with a new feel – hey, there’s a new guy hosting “Weekend Update”! – and a fairly disjointed show. It’s almost as if this new cast was really starting to gel, then comes a long break and the loss of the most tenured cast member and, boom, it feels like we’re almost starting over again. This Jim Parsons-hosted show had the nervous jitters of a season opener, not a show from March. And Parsons was fine, but it’s almost as if the vibe made him look nervous at times, too.

Sketch of the Night
”Bird Bible” (O’Brien, McKinnon) I am honestly surprised that this aired when it did in the show -- and good for Mike O’Brien to get something so obviously his and so obviously weird on that early in the proceedings. And a special congratulations has to be given out to whoever it was that actually illustrated the Bird Bible – top-notch work, there.

Pharoah and Thompson were fine, as always, as Shaquille O’Neal and Charles Barkley (though, it’s almost an odd pairing because Thompson’s Barkley sides on the goofy side while Pharoah’s Shaq is disturbingly canny). Though, it was Killam’s Jebediah Atkinson going through each Best Picture nominee that made “Update” last night. It’s almost as if Killam’s little accidental trick that he did with his index card proves that this character is magic.

· Lady Gaga 6.06
· Melissa McCarthy 6.03
· Edward Norton 5.91
· Paul Rudd 5.90
· Drake 5.82
· Jimmy Fallon 5.80
· John Goodman 5.76
· Josh Hutcherson 5.75
· Jonah Hill 5.73
· Bruce Willis 5.68
· Kerry Washington 5.60
· Jim Parsons 5.51
· Tina Fey 5.35
· Miley Cyrus 5.20

Last edited by troutman; 03-03-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #663
mustache ride
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Sketch of the Night
”Bird Bible” (O’Brien, McKinnon) I am honestly surprised that this aired when it did in the show -- and good for Mike O’Brien to get something so obviously his and so obviously weird on that early in the proceedings. And a special congratulations has to be given out to whoever it was that actually illustrated the Bird Bible – top-notch work, there.
The bird bible was okay but the white people reading for the racist slave owner was awesome!
mustache ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #664
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, not a great episode but that 12 years a slave skit was amazing. Definite highlight.

I enjoyed the Bird Bible and the Dance Floor Killer sketches....but that was about it.

Beck's first song with Father John Misty was sweet, but I didn't care for the second number.

Last edited by East Coast Flame; 03-03-2014 at 09:53 AM.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #665
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofillips View Post
ok am i the only one thinking/hoping that SNL can only get better with seth myers gone?
found the guy smug, unfunny and laughs at his own jokes.
I caught Late Night with him last week, you'll be pleased to know he's still smug, unfunny, and laughing at his own jokes.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #666
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
I caught Late Night with him last week, you'll be pleased to know he's still smug, unfunny, and laughing at his own jokes.

It's amazing how people can see things so incredibly different than others. I mean, I'm inclined to laugh at you and tell you how wrong I think you are, but I know it's your opinion, so... oh well?
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:46 PM   #667
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Yeah, other than the 12 years a slave skit, I wasn't too entertained. And I was hoping Jim Parons would be able to show something new. But maybe he will always be Sheldon to me, so I can't see him do other roles.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #668
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

Yeah, I think he's definitely just going to be Sheldon from now on. Everything he played just seemed like Sheldon or a 'normal' person. Even his Johnny Weir impression just seemed like a hyper Sheldon.

The 12 years a slave sketch was pretty good.

Thank goodness they ran out and got the black female cast member so she could be the random black female cast member in the background. They haven't really given her anything, or she hasn't shown anything, that makes her stand out among the crowd. I suppose we will just have to wait until Oprah or Beyonce or another black female celebrity does something spoof worthy to see what she's got.

They also seem to have cut back on Nasim and Aidy. I don't like that. More of them and Taryn.

I also thought Jost was a little stiff. I'm hoping it's just nerves for the first show and he'll loosen up a lot.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #669
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Beck was great. Two great songs. New album is solid.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #670
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Flame View Post
Yeah, not a great episode but that 12 years a slave skit was amazing. Definite highlight.

I enjoyed the Bird Bible and the Dance Floor Killer sketches....but that was about it.

Beck's first song with Father John Misty was sweet, but I didn't care for the second number.
The way I see it, that makes it a solid episode. Really, it's rare for any SNL episode in it's history to have strong skits from start to end. Getting those three good skits and a decent musical performances makes it a solid night in my books.

And yeah the new Weekend Update guy was definitely nervous. He still had a decent delivery. And Cecily was even more of a wreck her first time out.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #671
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

The best line was from the Dance Floor Killer sketch. I'm probably getting it slightly wrong...

'You're watching Investigation Network. Because you like murder, but don't have the balls to do one yourself.'

Good sketch, Parsons makes a good socially inept killer type, haha.

Also liked the 12 years sketch. Bird Bible started off good, but lost steam quickly.

Pretty weak episode, Weekend Update was very weak. Only laughs came from 'Shaq'.

I enjoyed Beck though. I actually liked the second song more than the first, might be in the minority there.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #672
jofillips
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

yea i liked sheldons murder skit a lot!
Not sure what her name is but the fit-looking italian or spanish woman is really good and confident on SNL.....

oh and strombad, i wont back down on seth myers leaving to be a great thing for SNL. It doesnt take a genius to realise he isn't that funny and he took up way too much SNL air time!
jofillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #673
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
yea i liked sheldons murder skit a lot!
Not sure what her name is but the fit-looking italian or spanish woman is really good and confident on SNL.....

oh and strombad, i wont back down on seth myers leaving to be a great thing for SNL. It doesnt take a genius to realise he isn't that funny and he took up way too much SNL air time!
What does this even mean? Don't get me wrong, I think that in order to be an SNL fan, you have to enjoy broad, generic, bland comedy, but that has nothing to do with one's intelligence.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #674
jofillips
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

all i meant by that is i enjoy the other performers on SNL and strongly disliked his enormous screen time he got - whilst laughing at his own jokes...
jofillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #675
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
all i meant by that is i enjoy the other performers on SNL and strongly disliked his enormous screen time he got - whilst laughing at his own jokes...
For a while now all he did was weekend update, so I'm not sure how that is enormous screen time?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #676
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Enormous?

His screen time amounted to roughly 6.5% of the average SNL program.

If that's the kind of logic you're running with, then I guess you're right, it really doesn't "take a genius" to go along with your line of thinking. If anything, I'd assume it takes the very opposite.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #677
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Have you even watched SNL in recent years? Enormous screen time? You mean weekend update and that's literally it?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #678
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

That weird chick from HBO's 'Girls' hosts this weekend, doesn't she? Lena Dunham - is that her name?

I seem to recall hearing that she's hosting soon...
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #679
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, Lena Dunham is this weekend, The National are the musical guest.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #680
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The national sucks

Thump thump, mumble mumble, thump thump, mumble mumble