Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #561
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
The Man Baby CEO and Best Buy sketches had me rolling
Me too. I loved the baby one.

I am so happy that I am easily entertained. I think it really opens the door to enjoying WAY more of what is on TV.

The turkey and the bug interview were terrible.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #562
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

The part where the guy shouted for the cockroach 'going to the supermarket!' was pretty good though. But yeah, little else in that sketch worked.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #563
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
The part where the guy shouted for the cockroach 'going to the supermarket!' was pretty good though. But yeah, little else in that sketch worked.
That was far and away my favourite sketch........sad comment I know.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #564
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Haim was great, but other than that it was a pretty terrible episode. The host was pretty good, but there was just nothing there for him to work with.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #565
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

That Best of Thanksgiving they aired yesterday was a steaming pile. :/ It was cool seeing some of the older cast members again, but most skits were still newer and there really weren't many good Thanksgiving Day sketches to be honest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #566
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Best of Christmas episode was a lot better. But more material obviously.

The new one this week though, might have been the worst episode this year. Which is unfortunate cause with all the talent they had on it, it could have been the best.

Paul Rudd as host, with Will Ferrell, Steve Carell and Kristen Wiig showing up. How did they not knock it out of the park?

Phoning it in before the Christmas break I think.

Oh, and what person over 15 or with a Y chromosome is going to enjoy One Direction?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #567
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

One Direction was actually much better than I expected, especially their first song.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #568
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They still have one more episode before Xmas next week. John Goodman and Kings of Leon.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #569
InSutterWeTrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
They still have one more episode before Xmas next week. John Goodman and Kings of Leon.
They actually have 2 more, December 21, Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake, that one should be pretty good.

InSutterWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InSutterWeTrust For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #570
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSutterWeTrust View Post
They actually have 2 more, December 21, Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake, that one should be pretty good.
You'd think, but with this cast and group of writers, you know it'll be mediocre at best.

Paul Rudd gave it his all, and really, the only sketches that worked were the ones without the main cast (# One Direction Fan, Brasky). The rest were just downright awful. When they "write" this crap, do they actually think it's funny? The Al Sharpton, Divorce, and Jacob on Weekend Update were just f'ing terrible. I didn't smile once, let alone laugh.

SNL is probably the worst show on television right now. It's a sad legacy for a show that started the careers of some comedy giants....and Adam Sandler.

The current iteration needs the Ol' Yeller treatment. Take it out back of the shed and do what needs to be done.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #571
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Best of Christmas episode was a lot better. But more material obviously.

The new one this week though, might have been the worst episode this year. Which is unfortunate cause with all the talent they had on it, it could have been the best.

Paul Rudd as host, with Will Ferrell, Steve Carell and Kristen Wiig showing up. How did they not knock it out of the park?

Oh, and what person over 15 or with a Y chromosome is going to enjoy One Direction?
Because Will Ferrell and Kristen Wig just aren't funny

CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #572
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
You'd think, but with this cast and group of writers, you know it'll be mediocre at best.

Paul Rudd gave it his all, and really, the only sketches that worked were the ones without the main cast (# One Direction Fan, Brasky). The rest were just downright awful. When they "write" this crap, do they actually think it's funny? The Al Sharpton, Divorce, and Jacob on Weekend Update were just f'ing terrible. I didn't smile once, let alone laugh.

SNL is probably the worst show on television right now. It's a sad legacy for a show that started the careers of some comedy giants....and Adam Sandler.

The current iteration needs the Ol' Yeller treatment. Take it out back of the shed and do what needs to be done.
I'm with you outside of your take on Jacob. It's certainly played out now but I still find myself with a big smile as I watch the awkwardness.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #573
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
This has been said after every major cast change since the shows inception. Right now the cast and writing is weak. Look at the list of people they lost over the last 2 years. Its takes a while to replace them just as it did when other big stars leave. The writers need to learn to write for the cast.

SNL quality has always been hit or miss but it certainly doesn't need to be changed.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #574
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Lamest recurring character in this thread - "SNL sucks or that performer is not funny" guy.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #575
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

'SNL' Scorecard: Paul Rudd Is A Big One Direction Fan

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4408280.html

As Paul Rudd mentioned in his monologue, yes, his prior hosting efforts were upstaged a bit by the musical acts. Everyone remembers Bobby Moynihan, Justin Timberlake and Andy Samberg dancing around to Beyonce’s “Single Ladies” but not everyone remembers that Paul Rudd was the host that night. It wasn’t as bad the next time with Paul McCartney as the musical guest, but, still … Paul McCartney. This time, sure, One Direction appeared in a couple of sketches, but Rudd was the focal point of both. In other words: Finally, Paul Rudd was the centerpiece of his own show. And it was a good show, but probably not a great show. So, yes, off we go to this week’s Scorecard…

Sketch of the Night
”Divorce Meeting” (Rudd, Thompson, Bayer, Pedrad) First, I will now have “I Don’t Want To Know” by Fleetwood Mac stuck in my head for the next week. (No that that’s a terrible thing.) Second, this was just a delight. I’m not sure anyone in the cast has the ability to go from “pissed off face” to “pure joy” face better than Vanessa Bayer. Everyone looked so happy when “I Don’t Want to Know” started to play that it’s impossible not to be happy while watching Bayer and Rudd dance. (Also, “SNL” has been killing it with the esoteric song references as of late.)

Average Score for this Show: 5.90
· Lady Gaga 6.06
· Edward Norton 5.91
· Paul Rudd 5.90
· Josh Hutcherson 5.75
· Bruce Willis 5.68
· Kerry Washington 5.60
· Tina Fey 5.35
· Miley Cyrus 5.20

I thought this was one of the better shows of the year. I did not like Divorce Meeting as much as this writer did, but this just goes to show that some skits work for some people and not others. I'm not sure that skit was supposed to be LOL funny - it was more of a concept piece. That is a favorite Fleetwood Mac song of mine, so I learned it the next day on the guitar.

Jebidiah the Critic will become a great recurring character, up there with Stefon and Drunk Uncle.

Maybe Will Ferrell has made some bad movies, but he is probably the greatest sketch comedian of all time. Watch how he lights up a scene with just his facial expressions (Bill Brasky).

I didn't think Jacob was that funny until I actually went to a Bah Mitzvah a few months ago. Jacob is spot on.

Last edited by troutman; 12-10-2013 at 09:40 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #576
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This has been said after every major cast change since the shows inception. Right now the cast and writing is weak. Look at the list of people they lost over the last 2 years. Its takes a while to replace them just as it did when other big stars leave. The writers need to learn to write for the cast.

SNL quality has always been hit or miss but it certainly doesn't need to be changed.
The writers have not changed that much over the last 4-5 years. Mulaney, Samberg and the Digital Shorts guys left but the staff is mostly consistent.

You're exactly right, the new cast needs time to adjust and find places where their characters fit and the writers need time to learn to write for/with them.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #577
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can't explain why, but I have a massive crush on Vanessa Bayer.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #578
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Lamest recurring character in this thread - "SNL sucks or that performer is not funny" guy.
Agreed, don't freaking watch if you hate it so much.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #579
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
I can't explain why, but I have a massive crush on Vanessa Bayer.

Here let me help with that

Spoiler!
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #580
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

I didn't think Jacob was that funny until I actually went to a Bah Mitzvah a few months ago. Jacob is spot on.
The Yankees yamaka gets me every time.
The Following User Says Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post: