Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #541
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post
I thought Lady Gaga did the best she could with fairly weak set-ups.

I really enjoyed the bad cover version CD, that was great. I loved Taran Killam's 19th century speech reviewer. That had me cracking up, particularly when he said he has reviewed "all the speeches".

Gaga's final ski as an obscure senior citizen was funny but, to me, rather strange. Something very cynical at play there about her position in contemporary culture, particularly in relation to Empress Beyonce. Kind of neat to see SNL trying something different or dark with that one.

Again, all in all a pretty bland episode. Their Rob Ford skit was pretty weak. It is telling of the quality of the writers that that is the best they can come up with a week's preparation, when Jon Stewart and the Daily Show can do something way funnier with just one night.
Agree on all points. I actually enjoyed Gaga more than I thought I would, but the writing just wasn't there. She did a good job though.

Yeah, the CD sketch was the best, I laughed pretty good at the Lil' Wayne (Lil Jon? Always get those two confused) Susan Boyle take on We Didn't Start the Fire. The Rob Ford one was disappointing. The accents were brutal, even the audience didn't seem to laugh at them.

I don't mind being poked fun at, but at least have it make sense.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #542
Mightyfire89
And I Don't Care...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
I didn't mind the Rob ford thing, but the stereo type Canadian accents were unnecessary.
That was disappointing. Hated the accents. There's so much comedy potential there that they wasted. Awful.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #543
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Gaga was good.
No
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #544
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gaga did surprisingly well during the skits. Not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing when she keeps up or even surpasses the regulars in delivery.

Nasim and Jay were hilarious as Kanye and Kim. Plus Nasim is just straight up hot!

But my god...that performance Gaga did with R. Kelly was awful. Just awful. It looked like something a bunch of Jr. High drama kids would do for an improv session. Did R. Kelly just show up 10 mins before the show or something? Her 2nd performance wasn't that great either, but that first performance was just terrible.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #545
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gaga was really good. I liked how much she was willing to make fun of herself. As others have said, the cover songs and the speech writer were the highlights, the Rob Ford skit was brutal.

I really like the Gag/R. Kells song, but that performance was pretty rough. Didn't care for the other song she did.

Really excited to see Haim on the show next week! They are awesome.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #546
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not much a Gaga fan but i thought her Gaga as a Senior citizen in the future skit was real well done.
They needed a drunk Uncle skit, i love that crazy character.
Maybe it is just me but i find every Keenan Thompson character now just repetitive and boring.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:36 PM   #547
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Kenan's voice is so distinctive, and he really can't do impersonations so every character he plays just sounds like...him.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #548
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great lineup for December, with the exception of OneDirection as a musical guest:

http://tvline.com/2013/11/21/saturda...on-timberlake/
Quote:
Saturday Night Live’s gift to viewers will be three December originals, with Anchorman 2‘s Paul Rudd kicking things off Dec. 7 in his third turn as host.
Joining Rudd, as musical guest, will be One Direction.
A week later, Alpha House roome John Goodman serves up his 13th hosting appearance, while Kings of Leon make their third appearance as musical guest.
Then, on December 21, SNL alum/Late Night host/future Tonight Show headliner Jimmy Fallon returns to Studio 8H for his second time as host, with Justin Timberlake making his fifth appearance as musical guest.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #549
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
Gaga did surprisingly well during the skits. Not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing when she keeps up or even surpasses the regulars in delivery.

Nasim and Jay were hilarious as Kanye and Kim. Plus Nasim is just straight up hot!

But my god...that performance Gaga did with R. Kelly was awful. Just awful. It looked like something a bunch of Jr. High drama kids would do for an improv session. Did R. Kelly just show up 10 mins before the show or something? Her 2nd performance wasn't that great either, but that first performance was just terrible.
"HAH she just changed the game! Food is now jewlery! HAH!"
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #550
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Great lineup for December, with the exception of OneDirection as a musical guest:

http://tvline.com/2013/11/21/saturda...on-timberlake/
Don't be hating on One Direction. Just because they wrote the Best Song Eva!!!11211

Fallon and Timberlake should be awesome. They always make a great duo.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #551
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

This weekend's episode may have been one of the worst written episodes I have seen in the long time. The interviewing bugs short was horrible, the baby one was brutal (though I guess it came from what Bennet used in his audition), 80's party was blah, dance party sucked...the turkey sketch? Blah.

Didn't help they had a relatively unknown musical act as well.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #552
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Aidy Bryant's bit on Weekend Update. The 80s sing along sketch was good.

All the pre-recorded stuff was awful, and overall Josh Hutcherson wasn't given much to do.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #553
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

The turkey sketch was pretty dreadful.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #554
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just watched the Ford clip and it was awful. How can you fail so bad? Rob Ford practically writes the jokes himself.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #555
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

The turkey skit and the bug interview skit were complete and utter trash. I didn't even crack a smile on any of those.

For some reason the baby one had me laughing. I knew it was stupid, and I was okay with that.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #556
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

'SNL' Scorecard: Josh Hutcherson Is Offered Up As A Serviceable Tribute

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4333527.html

Josh Hutcherson as an “SNL” host was … serviceable. He certainly wasn’t great -- I’m not sure he brought really anything special to the table except having a nice attitude about the whole thing -- but, at the same time, he didn’t get in the way.

Hutcherson just kind of blended in to his surroundings until the show was over (much like Peeta in the first “Hunger Games” movie, really). And, honestly, I’d take this any week over a host who makes the whole proceedings about him or her. (I don’t think we have to mention any names here.)

Sketch of the Night [we liked it to - I liked when he was flapping the folders around]

”Office Boss” (Beck Bennett, Josh Hutcherson, Kenan Thompson, Taran Killam, Vanessa Bayer) I’m under the impression that Beck Bennett used this adult baby character as his audition and that would make perfect sense. And it’s nice that he finally got to do it on the show. And there’s no way that we won’t be seeing this as a recurring character in the future. I mean, with Bennett’s deep, monotone voice, this is near impossible not to laugh at.

Average Score for this Show: 5.75
· Lady Gaga 6.06
· Edward Norton 5.91
· Josh Hutcherson 5.75
· Bruce Willis 5.68
· Kerry Washington 5.60
· Tina Fey 5.35
· Miley Cyrus 5.20
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #557
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I don't see how his ranking is so high. He was decent, at best.

Overall, I thought the show was pretty dull. I don't really remember much of it, except the stuff I thought was really dumb.

I like the guy that did the bug interview sketch, but I didn't like that sketch itself. I like the guy that did the baby sketch, but didn't like the sketch itself. The turkey thing was dumb and seemed to just end. I suppose we should be happy they didn't try and milk the sketch into being several minutes long.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #558
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't agree with that rating at all. That was one of the worst SNLs I've ever seen. The writing was terrible - I can't believe that turkey sketch made it on TV.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #559
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Man Baby CEO and Best Buy sketches had me rolling
Old 11-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #560
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I actually didn't think it was that bad. Man baby had me laughing pretty good.

The turkey one did really suck.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote