Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
CrazyCaper
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Fresh Atlantic Seafood delivered to your door...would you be interested?

Hello fellow CP'ers,

I'm looking at starting up a new venture and want to feel out if there would be a demand in Calgary and area.

I'm originally from Cape Breton(hense the username) and have a difficult time finding quality fresh seafood in this city. I've brokered a deal where I could supply next day delivery for all types of seafood. Lobster, crab, mussels, scallops, different varities of fresh fish, etc.

Before I begin to pour my heart and soul into this venture, I wanted to feel out CP to see if anyone would be comfortable buying their seafood online.

Any input you can offer would be appreciated.

CrazyCaper
CrazyCaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCaper View Post
Hello fellow CP'ers,

I'm looking at starting up a new venture and want to feel out if there would be a demand in Calgary and area.

I'm originally from Cape Breton(hense the username) and have a difficult time finding quality fresh seafood in this city. I've brokered a deal where I could supply next day delivery for all types of seafood. Lobster, crab, mussels, scallops, different varities of fresh fish, etc.

Before I begin to pour my heart and soul into this venture, I wanted to feel out CP to see if anyone would be comfortable buying their seafood online.

Any input you can offer would be appreciated.

CrazyCaper
Nice, another Cape Bretoner! I'm sure my family would, depending on price of course.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

I've bought lobster online before. As long as you're guaranteeing its freshness, I don't see the problem.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Really depends on the Price and how you can guarantee the freshness. If both are reasonable then yes I would order online.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
tigger777
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I just ordered lobsters online last week!!!
tigger777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccree View Post
really depends on the price and how you can guarantee the freshness. If both are reasonable then yes i would order online.
ditto
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, I'm just gonna stick with the 100 large shrimp for $10 from the white van.

Sorry I don't have more to add, I don't really eat a lot of seafood, and I just wanted to make a joke about van sea-food.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
AvsJerk
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I know a lady that does something similar here in my town in Colorado. She has a shack about the size of a coffee cart and is only open on Fridays. She makes some pretty good change $$ as far as I know. If I ever move away from here, I plan on doing something similar. I think I'd stay away from the delivery part for a couple of reasons...1. your insurance will go up. 2. wear and tear & fuel on your vehicle. 3. timing deliveries. 4. would you be able to do it yourself or would you have to hire a driver?
AvsJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
FiftyBelow
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As long as its competitive with whatever is offered at a grocery store or market I would consider ordering. For me... its not so much the method of securing fresh seafood but rather its quality and price. Heck I wouldn't mind driving a good distance as long as both requirements are met.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

I don't know if I would trust an online company like this.

Sounds fishy...
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2009, 04:34 PM   #11
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I guess I should premise by saying I don't live in Calgary so clearly I'm not in your target market.

I'm also going to follow up by saying I can't stand sea-food. It's it's from the sea, it's not for me. Fish/Lobster/Crab = GROSS

However, I am currently in Sydney (for the next few days anyway) and naturally want to see a fellow Cape Bretoner succeed at any venture they choose to embark upon, therefore if there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

Personally I'd think that Calgary is big and rich enough to have a niche like this one do well. Then again I don't really know as I've never spent any considerable about of time in Calgary, nor do I like seafood so I don't know much about it's markets or economics.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #12
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

being a maritimer myself, i would entertain the idea of ordering online, but the quality of product would have to be top notch and prices relatively low.
moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

I'd just go to the Grocery Store personally.. Unless it's cooked, why order it? Chances are i'll need to go to the grocery store anyways for ingredients. Unless you also deliver said ingredients?
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:42 PM   #14
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I could be into this, it's tough to get really fresh seafood out here.
The Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:48 PM   #15
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
I'd just go to the Grocery Store personally.. Unless it's cooked, why order it? Chances are i'll need to go to the grocery store anyways for ingredients. Unless you also deliver said ingredients?
See where Calgary is. See where ocean is.

And no I would not get it delivered to my door. I would get it delivered right into my mouth.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:11 PM   #16
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love seafood, especially fresh seafood, and would definately be a customer of yours should you go into busienss and the product was fresh and not outlandishly expensive. The only problem is I eat so much seafood that I would probably only get the good fresh stuff for special occasions. So maybe order like 2-6 times a year.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:16 PM   #17
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

It would all depend on how much extra you charge over the existing seafood shops for being fresh and to-the-door.

I'd be willing to pay 10-15% extra TOPS.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:24 PM   #18
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Old business adage...

You can offer 2 of any of the following 3 and still do OK.

Price
Quality
Service

Price + Quality = It will be good stuff, but you have to come get it and no returns.

Price + Service = It's cheap and I will bring it to you, but it isnt the best stuff you can get.

Quality + Service = It will be really good and you will be happy with the delivery....but it is gonna cost you.

All that being said...I would be interested if I was in Calgary.

Pick any two, and things should be fine...beyond that you are staring problems right in the mug.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:26 PM   #19
DOK
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm surprised at the people who are saying they'd rather stick with grocery store seafood. In my opinion, it's not the same thing at all. Maritime lobster, muscles, scallops and the rest straight from the ocean is amazing. Even the fresh stuff here is no comparison.

My only issue is timeline. The best seafood has the shortest time from ocean to my plate. Obviously, the trip from the east to Calgary is a long way, making it delayed. That being said, the one thing that I would absolutely buy is lobster. They are caught, boxed and delivered fresh and alive.

You should talk to the guys at "The Catch". They specialize in west and east "fresh" seafood. Apparently they own their own plane, catch, box, fly, cook and serve in the same day. They could help to better understand the system.

Also there is Spoon fed Soups. They are an on line company that makes their own bottled soup from scratch and delivers it to the core of Calgary. It's a very small local company that does extremely well. You'd probably get good information there about the on line process.

I remember a meat guy that would come to our house once a month, he drove something like an ice cream truck and would deliver orders the 3 friday of the month, something like that. It was a good system back then.

Personally, I'd think the easiest way is to restrict what's available when. Orders only processed on thursdays or fridays, something like that. Because your product is so time sensitive it would be very hard to place orders all week long and keep track of what you need and when.

If you can't tell, I think it's a great venture to look at. Would be costly to get going, but has potential for sure.
DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DOK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2009, 05:36 PM   #20
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

One of the things that really sucks about Alberta is it's proximity to salt water. All the seafood I used to eat in Italy turned me into a bit of a snob. It was only ever matched by the seafood I ate in Nova Scotia.

I would probably be a fairly regular customer if the prices were reasonable. Afterall, the great thing about Alberta is the beef.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote