Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2022, 11:19 PM   #1
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default What are your thoughts on Canadian holidays?

We have our civic holidays, our religious holidays which most people have off, now we have the new truth and reconciliation holiday but I suspect most people will work on it because it's for federally regulated workplaces only but the one that irks me the most is remembrance day. even in the provinces where it is a national holiday most employers don't recognize it and just delay it till boxing day.

If there's any day of the year that should be taken off it's Remembrance Day IMO.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:29 PM   #2
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holidays? What're those?
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 12:03 AM   #3
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
We have our civic holidays, our religious holidays which most people have off, now we have the new truth and reconciliation holiday but I suspect most people will work on it because it's for federally regulated workplaces only but the one that irks me the most is remembrance day. even in the provinces where it is a national holiday most employers don't recognize it and just delay it till boxing day.

If there's any day of the year that should be taken off it's Remembrance Day IMO.
Have you considered contacting your local MLA to ask them why the provincial government does not want to recognize it as a provincial statutory holiday?
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 12:27 AM   #4
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Have you considered contacting your local MLA to ask them why the provincial government does not want to recognize it as a provincial statutory holiday?
Remembrance Day is a stat in Alberta, employers just don't recognize it as important, which is disgraceful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 02:22 AM   #5
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Holidays? What're those?
Those days at work where the roads are quieter
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 06:55 AM   #6
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Remembrance Day is a stat in Alberta, employers just don't recognize it as important, which is disgraceful.
Some Veterans group prefers it stays that way, it's not disgraceful.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...ticle24156823/
Quote:
"We're not in favour of the private member's bill," says Tom Eagles, Dominion President of the Royal Canadian Legion. "We feel the best way to recognize Remembrance Day is [for it] to just be Remembrance Day."

If it were to become a national holiday, the Legion worries that many people would treat it as a time to kick back rather than a day to pay respectful tribute to all those who have served.

"The way it stands now, it's working. It's working very well," Eagles says. "We're seeing increased numbers out to the cenotaph on Nov. 11."

It's very important to the Legion that young people in Canada continue to participate in Remembrance Day services and learn about the day in school, something they might not do if it were to become a national holiday, Eagles says.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 07:19 AM   #7
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus it isn’t like you don’t get the Remembrance Day stat off at all, most people just prefer to use it during Christmas break.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:40 AM   #8
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I grew up in Ontario and we attended school on Remembrance Day. We had a ceremony in the gym with a presentation and someone play the bugle preceding a proper moment of silence. In art class we made poppies of whatever variety, in English class we wrote stories or poems of what we know or learned of Remembrance Day.

My children have Remembrance Day off from school. They observe a moment of silence but otherwise spend the day no different than a Saturday.

I’m not particularly bothered one way or another, but if the idea is to bring to attention the importance and relevance of this day, my personal experience suggests this will happen more so in school than on a day off.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:47 AM   #9
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Truth and Reconciliation Day being in September is hard on small businesses. Two paid days off in one month in one month is a lot to ask employers to shell out. it really should be in January or June 30th.
Old 05-29-2022, 07:53 AM   #10
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm all for holidays of any kind. The more, the better!!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 08:23 AM   #11
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Truth and Reconciliation Day being in September is hard on small businesses. Two paid days off in one month in one month is a lot to ask employers to shell out. it really should be in January or June 30th.
Yeah I always thought June would make more sense
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:24 AM   #12
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For most of the holidays, you will find some that feel they have special significance and others will see it as a day to shop or sleep in. You can’t legislate heartfelt meaning to these things. You do you and don’t worry about the rest.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:25 AM   #13
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remembrance Day shouldn't be a holiday, it should be a day of remembrance. I agree that kids should be in school, doing Remembrance Day things.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:38 AM   #14
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Remembrance Day shouldn't be a holiday, it should be a day of remembrance. I agree that kids should be in school, doing Remembrance Day things.
I disagree. It’s almost like a forgotten day in Ontario in my opinion. The odd time it’s been on a weekend we could go to a service at the rink, go to John McCrae House for a reading, etc…

When you’re at work the day doesn’t exist.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:42 AM   #15
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Remembrance Day is the only day of the year retailers are mandated to close in Nova Scotia.

It's a day of Remembrance and to hour those that serve, have served, and given the ultimate sacrifice for us.

I think we have the least amount of holidays in Nova Scotia of any province in the country, but the relatively new Heritage Day (Family Day in most provinces) and the Truth and Reconciliation Day are an additional two days.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 08:58 AM   #16
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We should have at least one long weekend a month however.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 09:02 AM   #17
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Statutory Holidays are Communism.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:08 AM   #18
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
But yet we should take a day off in April for a fictional guy who's corpse came back to life
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2022, 09:12 AM   #19
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
But yet we should take a day off in April for a fictional guy who's corpse came back to life
Would you rather the kids learn about that guy in school?

People take what they want out of these days. As strongly as you may feel about Remembrance Day, not everyone shares the same view.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:17 AM   #20
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It’s fine as is. No point in getting worked up over something so trivial. Maybe move truth and reconciliation to June but I think that might mess with the end of the school year so maybe September makes more sense.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote