Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2016, 02:00 PM   #161
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
We don't have a continuous shot. They could have easily edited the episode to have the flashback of the MIB followed by Dolores showing up in William's camp. The two scenes made sense to have happened in the same time period, but we don't actually know that they did.
Yup. Could be that the final scene is one instance where she gets raped by the gang that kills her dad (as is apparently part of her "loop"). After, she wanders through the woods, and happens upon William. William then takes care of her, there ends up being a romance where he falls in love with her despite her robot nature. She's then re-set, and doesn't remember him, leading him to become bitter and jaded. He returns after many years, and in episode 1, decides to get "reacquainted" with her - his love having turned to something vile in his years of bitterness.

I mean... you know... just, um, for example.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #162
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yup. Could be that the final scene is one instance where she gets raped by the gang that kills her dad (as is apparently part of her "loop"). After, she wanders through the woods, and happens upon William. William then takes care of her, there ends up being a romance where he falls in love with her despite her robot nature. She's then re-set, and doesn't remember him, leading him to become bitter and jaded. He returns after many years, and in episode 1, decides to get "reacquainted" with her - his love having turned to something vile in his years of bitterness.

I mean... you know... just, um, for example.
I like the theory that William was involved in the original "incident". William then gets a free life pass to the park for having to go through his ordeal.

Dolores was one of the robots who turned on the guests. The MIB is now hostile towards her, because he wants revenge and knows Dolores, despite her appearance, is just a violent machine.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #163
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We don't have a continuous shot. They could have easily edited the episode to have the flashback of the MIB followed by Dolores showing up in William's camp. The two scenes made sense to have happened in the same time period, but we don't actually know that they did.
If your going to play with time loops it had better be satisfying. To me if that is the case it's a lazy shock value reveal rather than good story telling.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #164
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
The stuff with William is all in the past.

In that theory, the William storyline would be showing us what led up to the major malfunction that happened 30 years ago (as mentioned in the first episode). If you watch the William scenes, there do seem to be some differences within the park from the rest of the stuff we see.
  • The only "common" hosts that we see in the William scenes are Dolores and Clementine (the prostitute). We know that Dolores is the oldest host in the park, and there's a suggestion that Clementine is older too (when Maeve starts to malfunction and they reassign her role as the head of the brothel to Clementine, Stubbs says that she has done the role before).
That's not entirely accurate. It's the same host that bumps into both William and Teddy as they come off the train.

And to address another possibility raised in another post, the architecture of the subway station William pulls into and the dank one Hopkins wanders through are very different.

Another oddity: Maeve, who is a madam in the Teddy time, which people see as the "present", flashes back to an earlier time where she was a homesteader and, amidst an attack by indians, has her own encounter with the MiB. So for the theory to hold up, you'd need to have the series showing a William, pre-MiB, time, the "present" with the MiB and the hosts developing some awareness, and flashbacks to an intermediate time, also featuring an already embittered William/MiB. That's just overly complicated IMO.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:28 PM   #165
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

First off I love this show and it's fun to read the theories on here. Anyone else think that the MiB is looking for the "Corporate HQ" within Westworld?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:33 AM   #166
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I like the theory that William was involved in the original "incident". William then gets a free life pass to the park for having to go through his ordeal.

Dolores was one of the robots who turned on the guests. The MIB is now hostile towards her, because he wants revenge and knows Dolores, despite her appearance, is just a violent machine.
I don't know about the violent machine past part. If she has rebelled in the past she would have been decommissioned by now.

In the first episode with Peter Abernathy investigation
"If he's been breached, he has to be put down. That's the policy"
I imagined that any host that has purposefully hurt the guests in any way previously or violated the confines for the laws set out to them would be treated to the "sent to the sewers to rot" or scrapped entirely.

Last edited by FlameOn; 10-20-2016 at 08:34 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:53 PM   #167
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

In episode 2 I wondered whether the corporate VP who is sleeping with Bernard is a robot. Funny how others are speculating that Bernard is the droid.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #168
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I don't know about the violent machine past part. If she has rebelled in the past she would have been decommissioned by now.

In the first episode with Peter Abernathy investigation
"If he's been breached, he has to be put down. That's the policy"
I imagined that any host that has purposefully hurt the guests in any way previously or violated the confines for the laws set out to them would be treated to the "sent to the sewers to rot" or scrapped entirely.
We don't know what would have caused the previous incident. If it was, for example, Dr. Ford's former partner removing the safeguards, it wouldn't make sense to simply destroy billions of dollars of robots over what was seen as a human error.

It's also possible they recycled old androids, in part or in whole, mistakenly thinking they'd wiped their memories completely. Once again, you've got some very expensive hardware.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:53 PM   #169
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone recognize the player piano song for episode 3? First was soundgarden - blackholesun, second was Radiohead - no surprises... I figured it would be a reoccurring thing but didn't recognize anything in episode 3
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:43 AM   #170
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

The player piano played a couple different Joplin songs in episode 3. The relation to the plot on this one was lost on me.

What was cooler was the piano player playing "Reverie" in Ford's office. I might not get a lot of hidden references, but I got that one.

Last edited by V; 10-22-2016 at 07:48 AM.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #171
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm annoyed at HBO with there season previews. Spoils the show.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #172
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Well that kyboshes the future/past idea.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:23 PM   #173
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Tonight's episode was co-written by Ed Brubaker.

Comic book people should know who he is but for those who don't he's one of the most prolific, celebrated and decorated comic writers of the last 25 years. His superhero work is phenomenal. Batman, Daredevil and especially Captain America. He created the Winter Soldier character.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:22 PM   #174
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Speechless doesn't even begin to describe my feelings. But at the same time I have a million questions. Too many to even begin.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:27 PM   #175
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There's no way Bernard is an android. He's using Delores as therapy and he's trying to implant conscienceness (if that's a word) into her.

I think Dr. Ford has an idea that he may try it and warns him not to with the Arnold story.

Bernard comes very close to doing a factory reset on Delores but doesn't at the end cause he wants to see "where this goes". She then returns home in time for the gang attack, as per the narrative.

Part of that narrative is being raped. If a guest is present he can save her by killing the gang. If no guest is present Teddy saves her. As an aside the MIB (a long time guest who has likely played every scenario) kills the gang, kills Teddy, then rapes Delores himself.

With her new found "free will" she "remembers" what's about to happen, overrides her inability to shoot a gun and kills the other host. Then rides off and runs into William, where she collapses jnto sleep mode.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:20 AM   #176
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My theory...Arnold isn't dead. He's at the end of "the maze" living in the park. He's put programming into the hosts that if they evolve enough they seek it out. The MIB has come across enough clues that he is on the path left for the hosts. End of the season reveal...Arnold.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:12 AM   #177
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I like that theory, but it doesn't account for the fact that MIB can't be killed by the hosts.

I would amend that theory that the MIB guest has figured out that there is another level and will find Arnold at the end of the adventure.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:32 AM   #178
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn't saying the MIB is a host though. He's human, it was pretty obvious in this episode when the one guy said "I really admire your foundation's work" and he told him to "STFU, it's my vacation". He's just stumbled onto clues that were only meant for the hosts.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2016, 08:39 AM   #179
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

When does Jacob show up and is Hugo the current caretaker of the park?
Old 10-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #180
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hugo could fix a car pretty well, so that's pretty much the same as creating life. I think you're onto something.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post: