Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2014, 12:22 PM   #721
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's lucky the otters enforcer McWhateverhisnameis wasn't playing....
Old 11-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #722
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I'd like to go for Mikko Rantanen, a big Finnish (6'4, 195 lbs) that loves to crash the net.
I would not mind him either to be honest. without having seen him play though his stats are a little bit shakey with 22 gp and only 7 assists to speak of for TPS.

I was hoping he'd be closer to Barkov's production but nothing to show just yet.

Barkov in his draft year with Tappara had 48 points in 53 gp. Big numbers for a 17 year old playing in a men's league.

Rantanen is only a year younger than Barkov and two drafts apart so he's a late one in this years draft if I am right.

Would love to see how Rantanen fares in the WJC.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #723
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I would not mind him either to be honest. without having seen him play though his stats are a little bit shakey with 22 gp and only 7 assists to speak of for TPS.

I was hoping he'd be closer to Barkov's production but nothing to show just yet.

Barkov in his draft year with Tappara had 48 points in 53 gp. Big numbers for a 17 year old playing in a men's league.

Rantanen is only a year younger than Barkov and two drafts apart so he's a late one in this years draft if I am right.

Would love to see how Rantanen fares in the WJC.
Yeah, if we were just stat watching, Rantanen doesn't look very appealing. Maybe we could snag him with our 2nd. Probably not though, I am pretty sure a team would take a risk on him. He seems like a boom or bust pick.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #724
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Yeah, if we were just stat watching, Rantanen doesn't look very appealing. Maybe we could snag him with our 2nd. Probably not though, I am pretty sure a team would take a risk on him. He seems like a boom or bust pick.
Been reading up a bit and it seems TPS's new coach is giving Rantanen the old Sven treatment. less than 10 min ice time per game, no special teams. Not excuses but it would be interesting to see him in the WJC with a veritable all-star team around him.

From what I've gathered, he's more of a playmaker than a goal scorer and I'm not sure the Flames need more playmakers, need goal scorers IMO if they were to take a forward.

That's why I was keying in on Korostelev. Kid had great size and can shot the puck. Also, C/RW which is an added bonus. He's tearing it up in Sarnia so far.
He's been lining up with Zacha so that may have a bit to do with it.

Here's a hat trick that didn't have much to do with anyone but him:

Last edited by dammage79; 11-26-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #725
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's another clip where Korostelevs (35) forchecking helped Zacha get his first OHL goal:

Old 11-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #726
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

A little more on rating Rantnen. I did some more looking around at 1st round pick Junior Finnish players and Kasperi Kapanen had 7g and 7a in his draft year with his mens team.

So if Rantanen can put up equal amount of points in the rest of his season he just may be a good first round pick with a similar trajectory as Kapanen. Likely a two year wait until he sees NHL time.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #727
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Combined Button, ISS, FC, HockeyProspect and McKeen's rankings to show the variance in a prospect's rankings.

Top of the vertical line shows the highest a prospect was ranked, the bottom of the line shows the lowest the prospect was ranked, while the triangle shows the average rank.

[IMG][/IMG]
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #728
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Combined Button, ISS, FC, HockeyProspect and McKeen's rankings to show the variance in a prospect's rankings.

Top of the vertical line shows the highest a prospect was ranked, the bottom of the line shows the lowest the prospect was ranked, while the triangle shows the average rank.

Musil must be an odd case... outside the top 3 he has the smallest variance and he's way down at #25 where you'd expect a high degree of variance. High Floor-Low Ceiling guy?

Last edited by Parallex; 11-28-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #729
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The rankings for Sprong and Bittner are all over the map.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #730
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
The rankings for Sprong and Bittner are all over the map.
Sprong from 7-28 and Bittner from 15-41 makes things interesting.

With Sprong going from the top 10 to the late 1st round gives me hope that we can still draft him anywhere. Should we worry though that he is all over the rankings right now though?
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #731
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The lower Sprong is ranked the more likely we are to get a shot at him. His linemate and center, Filip Chlapik, isn't even on the list and he's an excellent player. Charlottetown is a pretty mediocre team but that pair (and Mason McDonald) makes them fun to watch.
Old 11-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #732
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I saw Sherbrooke defenceman Jeremy Roy play tonight. He has a good tool kit. Right handed shot, very good crisp passes, intelligent decisions under pressure and a hard, accurate point shot on the power play which he gets off in an eye blink. Looks like a good one.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:58 AM   #733
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Craig Button - on Hockey Canada's WJC selection camp and 2015 draft
Nov 29 - TSN 1260

https://soundcloud.com/pipeline-show/craig-button-nov29

stuff on the WJC I didn't summarize. just know that McDavid is on track to return for the WJC and Button has Klimchuk as projected to be invited to the selection camp

3 top goaltenders in the draft:
LW Dennis Yan
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=183259
  • dual citizenship with US and Russia (played in the USNTDP and was selected in the CHL import draft)
  • shows skating and scoring instincts with a pretty good shot
  • has found a level of comfort in the QMJHL and adjusted from the USNTDP

LW Jake Debrusk
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=84242
  • fully deserving of Central Scouting's A ranking (projected 1st rounder)
  • everytime he is on the ice he always seems to have/be around/and make good plays with the puck
  • has a deceptive quality in his skating - he can beat you with a quick shift, more darting than flat out speed
  • really good hands, can make plays through traffic and in tight
  • goes body on body, when he gets stronger he can hold off opponents better
  • really really really impressed

C Reid Gardner
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=120199
  • stands out on Prince Albert
  • still a mystery to Button how nobody took him in the 2014 draft
  • he has too much skill not to have been drafted and a really good competitor

D Brendan Guhle
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=63250
  • high pick in WHL draft (3rd overall)
  • first year in he looked unsure of himself, looked hesitant
  • taking more initiative this year and jumping in more
  • excellent skater
  • using his skills to his advantage and is now having a greater impact in the games
  • lots of scouts are starting to take notice
Old 11-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #734
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is Hanifin nailing down that 3rd spot? I know he's always been high on everyones list, but him at 3 seems like a lock at this point.
JJ1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #735
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Hanifin's stock appears to be dropping.

Craig Button on Edmonton radio today said that he thought Strome and Marner are better players than Hanifin.

Called Hanifin a Ryan Suter type defenceman, top pairing potential and useful but not a generational talent.

Button says Hanfin's offense isn't great enough for him to be considered a generational talent.

Also thinks Hanifin and Werenski are comparable talents with not much seperating them.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #736
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A little more on rating Rantnen. I did some more looking around at 1st round pick Junior Finnish players and Kasperi Kapanen had 7g and 7a in his draft year with his mens team.

So if Rantanen can put up equal amount of points in the rest of his season he just may be a good first round pick with a similar trajectory as Kapanen. Likely a two year wait until he sees NHL time.
Teenagers playing against men, their situations vary a lot and their maturity level in their draft year doesn't necessarily indicate how they project. That means stats are tough to compare. I imagine NHL scouts look right past that.

I don't know anything about Rantanen, other than at 6'4'' he might be coming to terms with a growth spurt. Regardless of stats, he could be a good late first round pick. Or he could be bad for all I know. Maybe comparable to where Teräväinen was at this date in his draft year (in terms of maturity and draft position).

Last edited by Henry Fool; 12-05-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #737
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
Teenagers playing against men, their situations vary a lot and their maturity level in their draft year doesn't necessarily indicate how they project. That means stats are tough to compare. I imagine NHL scouts look right past that.

I don't know anything about Rantanen, other than at 6'4'' he might be coming to terms with a growth spurt. Regardless of stats, he could be a good late first round pick. Or he could be bad for all I know. Maybe comparable to where Teräväinen was at this date in his draft year (in terms of maturity and draft position).
From a fan stand point, it's all I can really do is stat watch and read the scouting reports on Euro players and youtube highlights if available. In Rantanens case, I tried to find other players aside from Barkov with comparable stat numbers to kind of see where he stood. so far 9a in 25 gp isn't a bad thing seeing as he's a 3rd/4th line guy on TPS right now from what I have read.

I chose Kapanen at the time because 7g,7a in 47 gp was a good base to judge from a distance what kind of player I was trying to get a read on.

Either way, Rantanen looks to be a big time play maker than a goal scorer and outside of a good D man, I feel the Flames would be better off with a RH goal scorer. I'm still very keen to watch Rantanen in the WJC though, seems like a fascinating player.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:51 PM   #738
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
From a fan stand point, it's all I can really do is stat watch and read the scouting reports on Euro players and youtube highlights if available. In Rantanens case, I tried to find other players aside from Barkov with comparable stat numbers to kind of see where he stood. so far 9a in 25 gp isn't a bad thing seeing as he's a 3rd/4th line guy on TPS right now from what I have read.

I chose Kapanen at the time because 7g,7a in 47 gp was a good base to judge from a distance what kind of player I was trying to get a read on.

Either way, Rantanen looks to be a big time play maker than a goal scorer and outside of a good D man, I feel the Flames would be better off with a RH goal scorer. I'm still very keen to watch Rantanen in the WJC though, seems like a fascinating player.
I don't know more about Rantanen than you do. You're right that a young player like him can make a statistical turnaround in the second half of the season. I think Teuvo went from overlooked to overrated in that time, but my memory might be false.

Could be less mature than Kapanen though. Just a feeling. A team might conclude that he projects very well even if he doesn't score much this season. Kapanen is point per game this season, Rantanen may well have a longer road ahead of him.

Just speculating. Without watching him it's impossible to say. The stats don't tell much.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:08 AM   #739
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Hanifin's stock appears to be dropping.

Craig Button on Edmonton radio today said that he thought Strome and Marner are better players than Hanifin.

Called Hanifin a Ryan Suter type defenceman, top pairing potential and useful but not a generational talent.

Button says Hanfin's offense isn't great enough for him to be considered a generational talent.

Also thinks Hanifin and Werenski are comparable talents with not much seperating them.
Seems odd for him to say this after he ranked Hanifin 3rd in the combined chart you posted. He also never went higher than ranking Strome 4th, Marner 5th and Werenski 6th in his list from barely a couple of weeks ago. Now he says he's felt that there isn't much between Hanifin and Werenski? Hmm.....
JJ1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:44 AM   #740
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1532 View Post
Seems odd for him to say this after he ranked Hanifin 3rd in the combined chart you posted. He also never went higher than ranking Strome 4th, Marner 5th and Werenski 6th in his list from barely a couple of weeks ago. Now he says he's felt that there isn't much between Hanifin and Werenski? Hmm.....
why is it odd? If he thinks that there is a clear 1-2 and then a group between 3 and 6 where there isn't much difference, it makes perfect sense. Personally I find it more surprising that Button seems to think higher of Werenski than of Kylington at this point. It seems like Kylington is slipping a little bit.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote