Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2014, 08:13 AM   #21
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I agree with Teemu except for one thing. Why whine over twitter now? Or ever as a professional really? I guess he's retired now so he can do what he wants but I really just don't see what the point of saying this months later is. Still one of my top 10 favorite players but twitter/fb whining irks me from anyone. I should add I don't like twitter/fb in general.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:17 AM   #22
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
I agree with Teemu except for one thing. Why whine over twitter now? Or ever as a professional really? I guess he's retired now so he can do what he wants but I really just don't see what the point of saying this months later is. Still one of my top 10 favorite players but twitter/fb whining irks me from anyone. I should add I don't like twitter/fb in general.
This is from a 3rd party who is tweeting these excerpts from Selanne's book. Not Selanne tweeting himself.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #23
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Warrener saying on the radio this morning regarding this that there comes a point in an athletes career where they no longer have it but still think they do and it's hard to come to grips with. Players are always the last to realize they no longer have it.
He was the Olympic MVP at age 43. Sure, he's not the same player he once was, but he proved that he can still play with that performance. And it's not like he was asking to be on the top line either, he just wanted some power play time.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #24
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
This is from a 3rd party who is tweeting these excerpts from Selanne's book. Not Selanne tweeting himself.
My mistake, didn't read that part. I guess I should sleep more.

Last edited by Fire of the Phoenix; 09-18-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #25
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
He was the Olympic MVP at age 43. Sure, he's not the same player he once was, but he proved that he can still play with that performance. And it's not like he was asking to be on the top line either, he just wanted some power play time.
Robert Reichel couldn't cut it in the NHL and still lit things up internationally for years after he was exiled from the NHL. It's not the same game and his prowess on the international ice isn't an indicator that he could be effective in the NHL playoff grind. It's like they discussed on the radio; What does a 43 year old Selanne bring to the table at 43 when he's not scoring? Nothing and you have to stick with the team concept that got you where you are which is sticking with the players the coaches think can help the team the most at both ends of the ice.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #26
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
exactly.

Warrener's critique rings hollow with this fact. He made the all Olympic team with guys like Doughty, Price, Kessel. Pretty objective indicator of his residual talent in crunch time.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #27
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Selanne really should proof read his hideous writings before posting. What a tool shed.

Last edited by terminator; 09-18-2014 at 08:32 AM.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #28
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Robert Reichel couldn't cut it in the NHL and still lit things up internationally for years after he was exiled from the NHL. It's not the same game and his prowess on the international ice isn't an indicator that he could be effective in the NHL playoff grind. It's like they discussed on the radio; What does a 43 year old Selanne bring to the table at 43 when he's not scoring? Nothing and you have to stick with the team concept that got you where you are which is sticking with the players the coaches think can help the team the most at both ends of the ice.
The Olympics and the Czech league should not be talked about in the same conversation. Selanne was the MVP in a tournament filled with the best hockey players in the world at age 43. I think he's capable of getting powerplay time above guys like Patrick Maroon.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #29
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boudreau was let go from Washington for the exact reasons Selanne describes here. Didn't really have much conviction as a coach and was too laid back to win in the playoffs. Players like him, but probably because he doesn't push them hard enough. He's just too nice, as evidenced by his weak response to Selanne's questions. A tougher coach would have told him where to go if it was his call to keep him out of the lineup. If the GM and scouts were really that involved then Boudreau should have told them it was his decision at the end of the day.

Selanne's a winner, and sometimes they get upset if they aren't included as part of the solution. Yes, he might have a hard time letting go of his role, but he didn't look out of place last year and he still had 6 points in 12 playoff games despite having a reduced role.

Basically, I agree with Selanne's assessment of Boudreau, but I think he also didn't know when to accept a lesser role.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #30
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
Selanne really should proof read his hideous writings before posting them. What a tool shed.
It's a book about him, not a book by him, and even though he endorses the book, it has some negative material that I'm sure if he had the choice he wouldn't have put there.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #31
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
exactly.

Warrener's critique rings hollow with this fact. He made the all Olympic team with guys like Doughty, Price, Kessel. Pretty objective indicator of his residual talent in crunch time.
Well maybe you should listen to Eric Duhatschek who has insight on the topic. Puts Selanne in a bad light as he also rips on Carlyle in the article and it's just sour grapes by a player that couldn't accept his role.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
Boudreau was let go from Washington for the exact reasons Selanne describes here. Didn't really have much conviction as a coach and was too laid back to win in the playoffs. Players like him, but probably because he doesn't push them hard enough. He's just too nice, as evidenced by his weak response to Selanne's questions. A tougher coach would have told him where to go if it was his call to keep him out of the lineup. If the GM and scouts were really that involved then Boudreau should have told them it was his decision at the end of the day.

Selanne's a winner, and sometimes they get upset if they aren't included as part of the solution. Yes, he might have a hard time letting go of his role, but he didn't look out of place last year and he still had 6 points in 12 playoff games despite having a reduced role.

Basically, I agree with Selanne's assessment of Boudreau, but I think he also didn't know when to accept a lesser role.
Doesn't push players hard enough? LOL you need to read the book obviously. Selanne ripped Boudreau for running too tough of a training camp. The guy comes off pretty selfish and it's one of those cases where he probably would have been better served keeping some of those feelings to himself. I know Iginla's had disagreements with coaches in the past but you will never hear him air that dirty laundry.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #33
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't push players hard enough? LOL you need to read the book obviously. Selanne ripped Boudreau for running too tough of a training camp. The guy comes off pretty selfish and it's one of those cases where he probably would have been better served keeping some of those feelings to himself. I know Iginla's had disagreements with coaches in the past but you will never hear him air that dirty laundry.
believe Selanne ripped Carlyle for running too tough of a training camp, not Boudreau.

his main beef with Carlyle was that the practices were so hard he believed that the other team had an advantage with fresher legs
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #34
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I understand, it's meant to be a book that also tells about Selänne's negative moments and traits rather than just the usual hero worship. It seems like Teemu is okay with this even though he doesn't like everything that was put in. So take it in that context. If to you it tells us more about Teemu than Boudreau, then that may well be the point. No one is perfect and an argument with the coach doesn't turn him into a different person from what you thought he was.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #35
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Teemu's legacy is now ruined.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #36
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Teemu's legacy is now ruined.
Not likely.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #37
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I were a coach I'm riding the Selanne train as long as I can or until he died. The guy was still a good player. should've been on the PP
PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #38
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sounds like the guy became a bit larger than life and lived in sort of a bubble. Getzlaf's refusal to get involved is telling too. Sorry Teemu, you got old.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #39
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Boudreau has had the Ducks playing way above their heads the last 2 seasons so it's hard for me to support Teemu here.

Boudreau is a good coach. Maybe he clashes with big egos.

Last edited by Ashasx; 09-18-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #40
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I think Boudreau has had the Ducks playing way above their heads the last 2 seasons so it's hard for me to support Teemu here.

Boudreau is a good coach. Maybe he classes with big egos.
I agree as when you compare the depth of rosters between the three California teams it's kind of surprising how the Ducks have actually outperformed them in the regular season. The guy is one of the top coaches in the league and IMO while his teams haven't done well in the playoffs I personally feel teams that play over their heads in the regular season like the Ducks eventually get exposed in the playoffs as the Kings, Sharks, and Hawks have more depth.