Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #41
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Ok, we will see if he shows up at camp because that is all he would have to do, Jones is terrible.
Eh, so was Jackman but Hartley kept playing him. I would be surprised to see Jones buried. He'd have to be both bad and have a poor attitude, like O'Brien.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #42
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Eh, so was Jackman but Hartley kept playing him. I would be surprised to see Jones buried. He'd have to be both bad and have a poor attitude, like O'Brien.
I've thought Jones was pretty good when he played his game. The trouble is when he plays his game he gets injured, so he doesn't do it very often. He reminds me of Rene Bourque except he costs $666,667 more per yr for the next two years.

Last edited by Vulcan; 09-18-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:50 AM   #43
J79
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think this thread deserves a bump bacause I really like the way Ferland plays the last couples of games and I absolutely love having him on the powerplay.

It's only a matter of time before he gets rewarded on the scoresheet.
J79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to J79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2016, 05:43 AM   #44
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really believe ferland will thrive on that top line if given the opportunity to gel with Monahan and gaudreau. And I think it will happen eventually.. It's just kind of frustrating that it's going to take a long time before Hartley does it. He might have a legitimate reason or plan where he is easing ferland into a top six role... I notice he tends to take shorter shifts than everyone else and seems really gassed at the end of those short shifts. Not saying he's out of shape cause he definitely isn't... Just that he's maybe getting used to these kind of minutes at the NHL level... Especially with the way he plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #45
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ferland is just starting to come into his own... I'm sure they are looking into why he seems to run out of gas so quickly... I'm think he's pretty fit like the rest of them so ???
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #46
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The reason he's taking short shifts and getting gassed is that he is working his ass off and skating hard the whole time. It's not rocket surgery.

I have been saying for a long time that he has hands and has talent. He is just one of those guys that has to build his confidence slowly. That confidence is now starting to show.

He is ready to get some tome on the top line. And the thing is, Hudler is hurt, Frolik is hurt, and Jones just isn't a top line guy. Why the hell NOT give him a shot? It's not like it would hurt the team.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #47
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The reason he's taking short shifts and getting gassed is that he is working his ass off and skating hard the whole time. It's not rocket surgery.
I think that's the way to maximize his impact: goes out, skates his bag off, hits a couple things, back on the bench 20 seconds later.

Longer shifts and he has to lower his intensity level or risk becoming a defensive liability on the backcheck.

It'll be interesting to see if his game does evolve in such a way that he can contribute to the same degree with more ice time. The role he'd have on line 1 and the way he'd have to play to stick with it would be pretty different from a bottom 6 role.

Great to see him showing progress lately. He could be a very valuable player for Calgary.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #48
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferland was awesome last night and appears to be turning a corner. He and Bennett both looked poised to break out offensively which would be ideal heading into the second half of the season
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #49
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

You couldn't see the puck from the original camera angle but I just noticed that on his assist last night Ferland totally walks Tyson Barrie.

GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2016, 01:20 PM   #50
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Ferland was awesome last night and appears to be turning a corner. He and Bennett both looked poised to break out offensively which would be ideal heading into the second half of the season
I wish it would just happen already. Both of them deserve it.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #51
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
You couldn't see the puck from the original camera angle but I just noticed that on his assist last night Ferland totally walks Tyson Barrie.

Yep. For the Avs that 4th goal was all on Barrie. First he turns it over to Ferland with a bad pass, then he gets totally deked by Ferland, then he can't recover to cover Backs.

Whoever said that Barrie looked like Justin Schultz on that play was spot on.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #52
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
I wish it would just happen already. Both of them deserve it.
But then you would lose the delightful pleasures of anticip................................

(to be continued)
Old 01-03-2016, 02:38 PM   #53
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not to be picky (OK - I'm picky....) but he spells his first name "Micheal".

And he is rapidly becoming a fave of mine with his constant effort. He's worked his way up -- from just bits and pieces of time, to short shifts with one good play ---then OFF! His shifts are getting longer, his passes more accurate and his sense of timing and movement is occasionally exceptional. Suspect he has had a LOT of schooling from the coaches and listens well.

Good for him -- love to see him play a rough, tough game!! Top line minutes some time might be interesting - maybe against one of those "big" teams. (But pretty sure the coaches want to shelter him some more before that happens.)
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:31 PM   #54
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like Micheal Ferland.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 07:26 PM   #55
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guy is a beast out there! I like!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #56
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I was feeling a little worried management may not see Ferly in the same way I know a lot of us do. Specifically in terms of deserving expansion protection as the #7 forward.

His promotion and success on the 1st line I think solidifies his importance and potential going forward. He's an incredibly unique player, especially on this team. I have high hopes Tuulola might be a similar player long-term. Wouldn't that be great?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 07:49 PM   #57
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol nice bump, really putting it together right now. Looked awesome tonight, exactly what that line needs. Has all the tools, that first line is getting some niceness chemistry.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:04 PM   #58
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just watched the condensed game since I missed the actual game and WOW.
Ferland was all over the highlights. Beauty of a power forward with a sniper shot.
Hopefully he keeps it up and becomes one of our best late bloomers!
Old 02-26-2017, 08:06 PM   #59
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ferland has really stepped it up with a couple of nice goals in the latest stretch. It will be interesting to see how he does playing with Gaudreau and Monahan in some of the tougher games that remain. I'd love to see him send a message to LA when they inevitably go after Johnny on Tuesday.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:07 PM   #60
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Starting to worry about his RFA contract with arbitration rights coming up. Hard to figure right now what he's actually worth.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote