Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Flames I Like Michael Ferland

I feel like Ferland isn't getting enough love on this forum and think he's an exciting prospect to discuss, especially after showing that he hasn't missed a step since coming back from a long injury.

Ferland is showing exactly what he showed before getting injured in the AHL last season. That when in shape and healthy he's a force to be reckoned with.

Being over weight and out of shape in his junior career likely kept him from being a sure-fire top 10 overall pick. He's got the size, attitude, skill and ALL other necessary assets to be a successful power forward in the NHL.

I believe we'll see Ferland in the NHL at some point this season. Especially with the fact he can play RW and the Flames are still lacking natural RWers.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Agreed. Very disappointed he didn't get a chance in the NHL last season due to injury.

He was one of the older players in the tournament so I don't want to over hype him too much but I thought he had a great tournament imo and showed a wonderful mix of surprising skill and toughness.
Two Fivenagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Has true power forward written all over him. Big body, nasty streak, sweet hands, nose for goal scoring.

He's a great fighter too. That technique of keeping his free hand extended behind his back so it's harder to tie up is tricky. Then he comes across with haymakers.

Loved the way he dropped the mitts and went after Corrado last night to stand up for Johnny.

This guy's a keeper!
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

power forwards have always been tough to assess when it comes to being able to make the jump to the NHL.

The good news is that his eventual jump to the AHL last season had a great start, where he racked up 18 points in 25 games in a men's/pro league, where his size wasn't as much an advantage compared to his time in junior. His success in the prospect camp is a good start, but the main camp will be interesting to see how well he is able to translate his game when the game is at NHL speed, against NHL size defenders.

He's jumped into my top 4 interesting picks to watch for camp (baertchi, gaudreau, ferland, granlund). I have already concluded on my prediction that bennet goes back to junior .
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The way I see it, Ferland is our only true power forward with a top-6 ceiling which makes him all the more valuable. Giordano may have taken over the leadership role from Iginla, but nobody else has really taken that top-6 power forward role since Iginla left.

I'm not saying Ferland could ever replace a player like Iggy, but it's a damn good start.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's not hard to see that Ferland has the kind of tools to be a Lucic type player in a few years. Does he get there? We'll see how determined he is. But so far, so good (6 pts in penticton). Kid sure knows how to finish and that alone can get a player pretty far.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #7
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can anyone do a GIF of Ferland scoring that goal and then immediately knocking down that defender from the other day?
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

He's gonna be our wayne simmonds
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dump Jones and give his spot to Ferland.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

He has the potential to be a Clark Gillies type.

Might be one of the most important prospects in the system.

I disagree with Bandwagon in Flames though - Smith also has top 6 power forward potential.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #11
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

People should stop comparing players to Lucic. It ain't gonna happen, the guy is a freak of nature.

In general, I think the term power forward gets used WAY too loosely, but I think Ferland might actually be one. He definitely has all of the tools.

Last edited by codynw; 09-16-2014 at 12:54 PM.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
I feel like Ferland isn't getting enough love on this forum and think he's an exciting prospect to discuss, especially after showing that he hasn't missed a step since coming back from a long injury.

Ferland is showing exactly what he showed before getting injured in the AHL last season. That when in shape and healthy he's a force to be reckoned with.

Being over weight and out of shape in his junior career likely kept him from being a sure-fire top 10 overall pick. He's got the size, attitude, skill and ALL other necessary assets to be a successful power forward in the NHL.

I believe we'll see Ferland in the NHL at some point this season. Especially with the fact he can play RW and the Flames are still lacking natural RWers.
Good post! The thing that surprised me was how good a skater he was. He's able to keep us with quick line mates, often not the case with the big boys.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
Guy's a fn beast. Michael "Fricking" Ferland.
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Between Ferland and Smith, I really like our future power forward guys. I really hope they both pan out and turn into big tough point producers.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #15
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

He had a great rookie tournament, especially coming off a long term injury.

The next step is showing up to main camp and at least pushing for a roster spot. Dissentowner said it best, it's between him and David Jones, and IMO he has more upside than Jones. It's up to him to show he can produce at the main camp, play a sound 200 foot game, and bring some of those other intangibles that have piqued everyone's interest. I think D. Jones is on his last legs and I wouldn't be shocked if he were jettisoned were he to have a poor overall camp compared to Ferland. It's up to him to tear a roster spot away from an established veteran, and not a great performing one at that.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #16
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^ lol at complaint over loose terming of "power forward", then ensuing post.

True power forwards are a rare and declining breed of player in the NHL, probably due to the emphasis on skill and speed now but Ferland has the makings of a special type of player. Soft hands, accurate shot, physical, can fight, plays with an edge. I hope he just keeps getting better from this tournament and I think he will into camp.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #17
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Jones is probably not tradeable unless the Flames take back a bad contract in return. I would prefer him to be sent down to the AHL if Ferland proves he is ready.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #18
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jones will hurt himself in pre-season, so they can keep his cap hit (which they need) and see a prospect take his spot. Everyone wins.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #19
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's Jarome Iginla V2 with defence and better hockey sense.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:59 PM   #20
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Let's see if he can actually beat out Jones for a roster spot first.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: