Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #41
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Johnny's fine, Corrado got kicked out, it's over with. Gaudreau doesn't care so I hope the team lets it go and moves on. I hope our players aren't worried about grudges and eye for eye retributions otherwise it's gonna be a long season. Just let it go and play, make them pay with clean hits and lots of goals.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #42
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Johnny's fine, Corrado got kicked out, it's over with. Gaudreau doesn't care so I hope the team lets it go and moves on. I hope our players aren't worried about grudges and eye for eye retributions otherwise it's gonna be a long season. Just let it go and play, make them pay with clean hits and lots of goals.

Let it go? No way... Guys like gaudreau, Bennett, and Monahan are the future of this team and guys taking liberties like that in a prospects exhibition game is unacceptable. That's why the flames are loaded up with muscle now... To keep players honest. What's the point in having the nuclear deterrent if you prove you're not willing to use it?

I want the flames to win every game but most of can accept that this season might be a struggle to win so make it a year for developing at least. The kids can't develop properly if plugs like Corrado are taking cheap shots at them like that. If one of the flames' goons has to put Corrado out of commission to make that point then so be it.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:43 AM   #43
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
We play clean if the opposition plays clean - if they start taking liberties with our youth it'd just be like the days where Kipper was being run and no one gave a damn - except now it's with the kids of our future. Cheapshots like that can be career-ending.

Are you seriously suggesting we let this idiocy go? No, a message needs to be sent. "We'll play fair if you let the kids play fair."

If McGrattan starts on the RW and has a nice chat with their starting lineup, no way does that BS happen - McGrats beats the hell out of their goon and he gets sent off the ice - but now you have to deal with Bollig, Engelland (who reportedly is a real team guy and zero chance he lets something like that pass), and possibly a really ticked off Wolf.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #44
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously a dirty hit, I don't know much about Corrado or his history but that was a dirty hit on his part. The vengeance fantasies here are a bit extreme though, I doubt that in 2 weeks time anyone on the Flames or the Canucks will really remember much from this incident considering that there were no real ramifications to speak of.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #45
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I think the penalty was about right. It wasn't the dirtiest thing I've seen, it deserved 5 and a game and that's what he got. JG is a skilled player who has the puck on his stick quite a bit when he's on the ice........you're supposed to hit those players, if you don't they will burn you. But, you're not really supposed to do it with an elbow to the face.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #46
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
“The shift before they went after Hunter Shinkaruk and I saw an opportunity to make a hit on one of their skill players.” - Frank Corrado Sept 16 2014
"The game before Corrado went after Gaudreau, so I took this opportunity to teach him a lesson" - Brian McGrattan : September 26th 2014.

"It's been an adjustment, eating through a straw and all, the bones are healing slowly, but it's my ego that really took a beating" Frank Corrado : October 3rd, 2014.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to wretched34 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #47
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I love it when people excuse it and say he's not that type of player.

Video says he is that type of player.
One play does not make a player. Badly executed hit was all it was. If it was one of our guys we would be down playing it just as hard as we are pumping it up here. Pretty ridiculous but par for the course on CP lately.

Corrado is a decent defenseman, seems to play better in the bigs than he does in the minors. Would have been on the team last year if he wasn't waiver eligible, makes it this year. Bad play let it go.

Know if it was Kassian...
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #48
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
...Are you seriously suggesting we let this idiocy go? No, a message needs to be sent. "We'll play fair if you let the kids play fair."
To what end, though? Corrado was assessed a penalty and ejected from the game. The Flames beat the living sh*t out of the Canucks on the ensuing power play, and Johnny Gaudreau is perfectly fine. If anything, this childish antic of unnecessary carry over into later games is likely to cause many more problems than it solves. The reason Steve Moore was forced to retire, and the reason Todd Bertuzzi's net worth has taken a significant hit is precisely because of the sort of "message sending" that you seek to endorse.

It's done. Let it go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #49
Gallick
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
To what end, though? Corrado was assessed a penalty and ejected from the game. The Flames beat the living sh*t out of the Canucks on the ensuing power play, and Johnny Gaudreau is perfectly fine. If anything, this childish antic of unnecessary carry over into later games is likely to cause many more problems than it solves. The reason Steve Moore was forced to retire, and the reason Todd Bertuzzi's net worth has taken a significant hit is precisely because of the sort of "message sending" that you seek to endorse.

It's done. Let it go.
There is a difference between reminding your rival that your team is much bigger and meaner than theirs, and injuring a player with a cheap shot.
Gallick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #50
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think there will be some sort of retaliation, but for Corrado's comments afterwards and not the hit itself. He said/implied that he wanted to hurt one of our skilled guys.

This is the John Scott situation all over again, but Corrado can't back it up.

The retaliation might be in the form of the Flames going after one of the Canucks skilled players (if they have any left). Eye for an eye after all.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #51
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is a Prospect Game so I don't even think they can suspend a player, am I right? They don't even know if Corrado will make the team so how can you suspend someone for let say 5 NHL games if he won't even in the roster at the beginning of the season. I guess kicking him out of the game will suffice enough but he better watch out if he ever makes the NHL or AHL. I am sure someone from the Flames organization will go after him.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #52
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSome View Post
It is a Prospect Game so I don't even think they can suspend a player, am I right? They don't even know if Corrado will make the team so how can you suspend someone for let say 5 NHL games if he won't even in the roster at the beginning of the season. I guess kicking him out of the game will suffice enough but he better watch out if he ever makes the NHL or AHL. I am sure someone from the Flames organization will go after him.
For some reason the first person that popped into my head when I read that was Clint Malarchuk

Too bad he's no longer with the team...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #53
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

It's done. Let it go.
I just stated exactly what McGrats did in Johnny's first NHL game - get the start, give a stern warning to the other team to let the kids play. Why did you fly off on a tangent and leap to the Moore-Bertuzzi sucker punch?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #54
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those of you saying 'let it go'...

It is an emotional game. Teams develop rivalries and hatreds. Incidences like these do carry forward. Plots and rivalries do carry forward and continue. Not wanting that to be the case will not change things.

When Marchant punched Sedin in the face repeatedly, he embarrassed the Canucks. They never responded. For me, that was the series - it was over at that moment and the Canucks never recovered.

By never, I don't mean in the series. I mean never as in they have been on a downward spiral ever since.

Some of you will say that their demise is due to other things and not that incident. I don't agree. For me, their team chemistry was destroyed with that play. Their team was embarrassed. The block was knocked off their shoulder and they still haven't been able to pick it back up.

I am not saying that this incident is anywhere near as big or as important for the team. But what I am saying is that, if nothing is done - if they don't respond - it will continue, and the kids will continue to be targeted until such time that they do finally respond. The best time to end it is now. Send a clear message to the league that this kind of crap will not go unchallenged.

For those that think I am making too much of the Marchant/Sedin situation, look at Lucic and Miller. Buffalo didn't respond (in time) and it decimated their team as well.

Whether you like it or not, hockey is a vicious and emotional game.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #55
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

It is an emotional game. Teams develop rivalries and hatreds. Incidences like these do carry forward. Plots and rivalries do carry forward and continue. Not wanting that to be the case will not change things.

When Marchant punched Sedin in the face repeatedly, he embarrassed the Canucks. They never responded. For me, that was the series - it was over at that moment and the Canucks never recovered.

By never, I don't mean in the series. I mean never as in they have been on a downward spiral ever since.

Some of you will say that their demise is due to other things and not that incident. I don't agree. For me, their team chemistry was destroyed with that play. Their team was embarrassed. The block was knocked off their shoulder and they still haven't been able to pick it back up.

I am not saying that this incident is anywhere near as big or as important for the team. But what I am saying is that, if nothing is done - if they don't respond - it will continue, and the kids will continue to be targeted until such time that they do finally respond. The best time to end it is now. Send a clear message to the league that this kind of crap will not go unchallenged.

For those that think I am making too much of the Marchant/Sedin situation, look at Lucic and Miller. Buffalo didn't respond (in time) and it decimated their team as well.

Some of you are taking pre-pre-season a little too seriously.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #56
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

I never get posters saying that we shouldn't take things so seriously, what else is there to do on a hockey forum besides blow things out of proportion and beat minutiae to death? Especially in the summer. The days, they are so long.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #57
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Some of you are taking pre-pre-season a little too seriously.
...OK?

So when our star rookie eats a dirty elbow to the face, it's supposed to make a difference in reaction if it was NHL regular season vs a rookie tournament?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #58
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

... But what I am saying is that, if nothing is done - if they don't respond - it will continue, and the kids will continue to be targeted until such time that they do finally respond. The best time to end it is now. Send a clear message to the league that this kind of crap will not go unchallenged.

Cripes…this is beginning to sound like the Moore-Bertuzzi incident all over again.

This is exactly the kind of thing that was said following Moore's elbow on Naslund, and it led to one of the ugliest incidents in hockey history. I'm not saying that our players would do something like Bertuzzi did, because that was truly exceptional, but all this talk of revenge is giving me a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. Retribution, or revenge, is a foolhardy errand.

What you do is keep that play in mind, and the next time you play the Canucks, if you can make a hockey play and hit a guy hard and clean, you do it with a little extra gusto. If someone takes a liberty with a young and skilled player, you pull that guy aside in that game, and deal with it right then. Holding on to grudges is what gets you in trouble. Reacting with too much emotion turns you into John Tortorella. Once the game is done, it's over. Leave it on the ice. Don't take it with you.

Last edited by Cali Panthers Fan; 09-16-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #59
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
I think there will be some sort of retaliation, but for Corrado's comments afterwards and not the hit itself. He said/implied that he wanted to hurt one of our skilled guys.

This is the John Scott situation all over again, but Corrado can't back it up.

The retaliation might be in the form of the Flames going after one of the Canucks skilled players (if they have any left). Eye for an eye after all.
Agreed, the comments make it 10 times worse for Corrado. First you make a bonehead play, throw a dirty elbow in rookie camp, against the smallest guy on the ice, then try to rationalize it by saying "well, some of your big guys got physical with one of our skill players, so I took it upon myself to go after your skilled player, who had nothing to do with roughing up ours."
I do believe there will be retaliation for the elbow, and the comments. But I highly doubt it will be Big Ern or any of our monsters going after a skilled Canuck player, that is childish and embarrassing. Corrado will be the target, our team plays with enough respect, to make the piper pay, not someone else, for a boneheaded move from a team mate.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #60
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
...OK?

So when our star rookie eats a dirty elbow to the face, it's supposed to make a difference in reaction if it was NHL regular season vs a rookie tournament?
Yes. Play was penalized accordingly, its over. Holding a grudge from the rookie tournament where barely anyone from either team will be in the lineup come October doesn't even make sense.

I'm sure the Flames heavyweights will be keeping an eye on the kids come October, but to sit here planning retribution, when they've barely even laced up the skates for training camp? Its as stupid as it is unrealistic.

There is a time and place to stand up to other teams taking liberties against your players...this is not one of them. I'd be shocked if anyone on the Flames is focused at all on this incident after today.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote