Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #21
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any PTOs?

I suspect McBain could be a nice PTO and signing
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #22
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mancina invite may be just for the prospects camp, as otherwise they have no eligible goalies but McDonald for Penticton.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:20 AM   #23
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Mancina invite may be just for the prospects camp, as otherwise they have no eligible goalies but McDonald for Penticton.
Wouldn't hurt to have a guy to play for the Eagles too. I would think any invites would be up for that job, even if they just get an AHL deal.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:37 AM   #24
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mancina's just 18. Not AHL/ECHL eligible yet.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:09 AM   #25
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Mancina's just 18. Not AHL/ECHL eligible yet.
Well then, I take that back then. I should have looked him up.

Could this be a Turner Elson situation? Undrafted and signed as an undrafted UFA at 18 after rookie camp.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:44 PM   #26
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Well then, I take that back then. I should have looked him up.

Could this be a Turner Elson situation? Undrafted and signed as an undrafted UFA at 18 after rookie camp.

Hopefully he doesn't turn out like elson
savardandjokinen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #27
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No idea where else to put this. I wonder what the chances are that he'll actually stay up for the entire year.

Quote:
NHL ‏@NHL 43m
"I've been at the gym 5 times a week, training as hard as I can to get ready." -Sam Bennett #NHLPARookieShowcase pic.twitter.com/K9LuRtAP1c
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:10 AM   #28
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=728976

Quote:
TORONTO – Sam Bennett and Johnny Gaudreau followed alternate paths to the NHL. But when the two Calgary Flames prospects report for training camp in September, they'll be the focal point of an organization looking for a return to glory after missing the Stanley Cup Playoffs in each of the past five seasons.
Quote:
Playing together at Flames development camp last month, it didn't take long for the two players considered the future of the franchise to develop a rapport. Each player made a number of big plays during the camp, with one Bennett shootout goal instantly becoming one of the top hockey highlights of the summer.
Quote:
After participating in development camp, each player found very different ways to wrap up their respective summers. While Gaudreau returned to his home state of New Jersey and skated alongside a group of retired NHL players and up-and-coming pros, Bennett worked in Toronto with famed trainer Andy O'Brien and a group of All-Stars, including John Tavares, Jason Spezza and Jeff Skinner. Sidney Crosby even stopped by on occasion.
Quote:
"I think we're both just raring to hopefully make the team this year," Bennett said. "We're both going to do whatever it takes."
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #29
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

D Curtis Gedig now appears to be coming to the Flames camp. Former 2009 7th round pick of the NJ Devils.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=38056

Kind of interesting if true, because Lou Lamoriello was quoted as saying the Devils would sign him to an AHL contract on August 15th when the Devil's rights expired.

Perhaps the Flames are willing to offer him an NHL contract depending on how he turns out.

edit: It appears that he did attend the Devils development camp this past July

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-23-2014 at 11:17 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #30
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post

That article made me giddy!

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #31
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Didn't realize Bell was the 67's captain last year. Interesting.
Am I the only one who had to double check the date of the thread when seeing Brendan Bell and captain of the Ottawa 67s mentioned?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=48757
Sidney Crosby's Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #32
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan's expecting to be about 205lbs for camp. Our boy's been spending the offseason bulking up.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #33
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Monahan starts to fill out and is able to compete in a little more of a physical game, he'll be even more gooder! I think he's going to end up being on or our best players for a long long time (that's why I picked him to lead us in goals). The kid has a nose for the net in that he always seems to be in the right place at the right time but can still drive the net. If he's able to fight off defenders a little better, his game is going to improve a lot.

Really can't wait for hockey to start in any way possible....
Old 08-25-2014, 09:13 AM   #34
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

I get the feeling that if Bennett gets sent back to the OHL, hes going to be upset with the organization.

I dont know what it is, it just seems hes got a NHL or bust mentality right now.

I hope he doesnt resent the Flames for it if it happens. It will show a big time character flaw IMO.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #35
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
I get the feeling that if Bennett gets sent back to the OHL, hes going to be upset with the organization.

I dont know what it is, it just seems hes got a NHL or bust mentality right now.

I hope he doesnt resent the Flames for it if it happens. It will show a big time character flaw IMO.
Make something up... draw a conclusion from it... judge the kid for it

Got it, thanks
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #36
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone's expecting Bennett to get another year in the OHL. Treliving has come out and stated he'd need to seriously rock their socks off during camp to get a spot. Bennett said he's happy to be in the organization and trusts them to make the right decision for his development.

Unless Bennett switches personalities with Ho-Sang this is 100% a non-issue.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #37
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be great for him to play angry..... Bennett already plays with an edge and he does it effectively, if he's even more angry than usual it could result in a super-Bennett!
Old 08-25-2014, 09:30 AM   #38
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Baseless, speculative comment with a hefty measure of pessimism. Bizarre.

Realistically, as a professional athlete, you want to approach every contest - training camp, single game, playoff series, etc. - with the expectation of success. Additionally, the mental part of making the leap to the NHL and then having success afterward is huge and the presumption of failure, regardless of its likelihood in any given scenario, does no one any favours.

More probable, and plausibly inferred from his actual comments, would be that he understands its going to take an extraordinary camp (and perhaps an injury or two) to stick with the team out of camp, but he's going in with mindset of making it and they'll do what's best for his development.

Last edited by prizefighterinferno; 08-25-2014 at 09:34 AM.
prizefighterinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #39
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be more concerned if he came into camp with no intention of making an NHL roster.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #40
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Being that it's pretty much the exact opposite of the vibe that's out there right now, I think what you're actually feeling is indigestion.

Lay off the breakfast burritos.
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote