Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2014, 03:16 PM   #261
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

#savehartley
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #262
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Last year Burke said that Hartley should have been in consideration for the Jack Adams.

Hartley is not going anywhere. Burke freakin loves the guy and it's unanimous top to bottom in the organization that he's changing the culture of the locker room and getting the most out of this team.

It should also be said that since his hiring Treliving has not shown a shred of ego. In fact I distinctly remember him saying that he doesn't want to run around and make dumb moves to make his mark on the team.

I'd say we have a better chance of winning the division this year than Hartley has of being fired. It's almost not even worth discussing IMO.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #263
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I want to keep Hartley.
I really like Hartley, but if Babcock is willing to take a job with the Flames you give him that job. I really doubt it'll happen though, so this is an irrelevant discussion.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:54 PM   #264
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDebaser View Post
Last year Burke said that Hartley should have been in consideration for the Jack Adams.

Hartley is not going anywhere. Burke freakin loves the guy and it's unanimous top to bottom in the organization that he's changing the culture of the locker room and getting the most out of this team.

It should also be said that since his hiring Treliving has not shown a shred of ego. In fact I distinctly remember him saying that he doesn't want to run around and make dumb moves to make his mark on the team.

I'd say we have a better chance of winning the division this year than Hartley has of being fired. It's almost not even worth discussing IMO.
Good to hear this kind of confidence, and I agree that Treliving seems very thoughtful and wouldn't do anything rash for the sake of his ego. But you never know, I still feel nervous.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #265
Arya Stark
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Maybe he wants Babcock
Hahaha well then he better GM another team because there is 0 chance Babcock picks the Flames.
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #266
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Veterans excited to see Bennett, Gaudreau up close

http://flames.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=730940

Quote:
CALGARY, AB -- Penticton is a long way from Calgary, but that didn't stop the buzz Sam Bennett and Johnny Gaudreau put together at the Young Stars Classic. It's reached training camp.

And current members of the Calgary Flames are looking forward to seeing what the duo can do up close.

“Obviously there’s a lot of buzz around about those two guys and rightfully so,” Mason Raymond said. “They’re great hockey players and doing some good things. They’re here fighting for jobs just like the rest of us. It’s fun. We’re out there competing and if you get the chance to play with them, you enjoy it and you relish it.”
Quote:
The pair’s portfolio has plenty of potential teammates interested.

“I’m curious,” captain Mark Giordano said. “I’ve seen Johnny play a little bit at the end of last year. You can see right away the skill set that he has. With Bennett, I haven’t really been on the ice with him so I’m excited to see him and a lot of our other young guys too.”
Quote:
Other members of the team won’t have to wait long to catch a glimpse of either Bennett or Gaudreau.

They will skate as the on-ice portion of Flames training camp gets underway Friday at WinSport as both vie for a spot on Calgary’s roster in their first spin at main camp.

“I’ll see it out there on the ice at some point, right?” Raymond said. “Him and Sam, they’ve deserved everything they’ve got like much of every guy that’s here right now.

"That’s what camp is all about. You get here and get amongst the guys and you’re out here competing.”

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #267
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I really like Hartley, but if Babcock is willing to take a job with the Flames you give him that job. I really doubt it'll happen though, so this is an irrelevant discussion.
I don't know... Even if Babcock is available, I know he may be the better option, but I feel like Hartley is in great control of this team. He's the reason why we played so well for in the first year of the rebuild. I would just love to have him as our coach for the next 3 years to see if we can get in a playoff spot with him. We're a hard working team, I think we can do it with him if he gets extended.
ForeverFlameFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #268
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Babcock may be looking for a position much like Roy's where he has more of a say with building a team. I don't see that happening here as we are pretty set in our chain of command.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 05:59 PM   #269
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDebaser View Post

Yes and no. Hartely still has to show that getting the players to play hard like last year was no fluke. It won't be about wins and losses but he can't lose the dressing room. I don't think it will be a problem and he will be re-signed just after x-mas.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #270
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
I'm nervous that Treliving isn't going to sign Hartley to an extension based purely on the fact that he's not "his guy". This isn't based on anything besides my own fear. Really like Hartley's perspective and style.
Unless Hartley totally falls on his face for some reason (Not a chance) He will get his extension. Changing coaches now will set the flames back 2 years...new styles, ideas etc.. Not gonna happen.

I think hes doing an amazing job. The right coach with the right team at the right time.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #271
Arya Stark
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anything on rosters yet?
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #272
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The best part is I think he has the respect and confidence of every player in the room. And he uses a lot of positive reinforcement with the players rather than ripping them down for mistakes etc. like previous coaches. So the players really want to go out and keep proving him right. At the same time you can tell he puts great importance in accountability. Great coach for this rebuilding group.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #273
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm wanting to see 3 or 4 rookies earn spots in the lineup - as I think there are several who can and will make an impact.

However, I can't seem to find who's spot they would be taking. Setoguchi and Jones seem to be the bottom of most of my deliniations at this preliminary stage.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #274
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

first cuts:

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=730929

Old 09-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #275
Iggy3x
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post

That's fast. Not surprised tthough. 63 is still a lot of players.
Iggy3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #276
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Darn.. no Jankowski.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #277
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rrent98 View Post
Darn.. no Jankowski.
He can't as he's in college. That's why this is Gaudreau and Arnold's first camp with us.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #278
StAlbertFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Kinda like the Star Trek "redshirt" who dies soon after being introduced, having a number in the "70's" and "80's" is not a good sign at Flames training camp.
StAlbertFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #279
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

63 players (6 G, 21 D, 36 F) divides evenly into three groups (2G, 7D, 12F) each.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #280
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy3x View Post
That's fast. Not surprised tthough. 63 is still a lot of players.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote