Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #41
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
How many more picks do we have?
One.
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #42
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
USHL rookie of the year last year. thats tiny though, in the western conference, hard to survive.
Easier these days with Pronger, and Regehr out east.

I do like the move towards skill players, but I'm astonished that someone that small gets drafted. Like, in every sense of the word, small. It's been an entirely mystifying weekend.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #43
kekkone
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

From sleepers section:

Quote:

John Gaudreau, LW Dubuque (USHL)-
Tiny New Yorker is another longshot, but has put up amazing numbers for the Fighting Saints despite being about 5-6 and 145 pounds. He'll get much stronger and add another 30+ pounds, but when you consider that he's managed to score 35 goals and 69 points in 55 games as a flyweight in the rough-and-tumble USHL, it says a great deal about his speed, hands and creativity. This is a pure offensive presence and he showed off his potential at the Ivan Hlinka last August, as one of the most consistent forwards on Team USA, helping them to a silver medal. It's hard to imagine an NHL team drafting a guy with Gaudreau's vitals, but this kid has guts and flair- he's going to be a very good NCAA player and once he gets there and proves himself at that level, anything is possible.
Ivan Hlinka tourney analysis:

Quote:
John Gaudreau, RW-- He's not quite the agitating presence Hohmann is, but Gaudreau is cut from a similar cloth: big man trapped in a small man's body who is explosive and can really score. Like Hohmann, he's headed to Boston for his NCAA play, but Gaudreau will be at Northeastern instead of Commonwealth Ave. His dad was a star for Norwich in the late-70's and the younger Gaudreau will be challenged more this season as he leaves the comfort of home for the rough-and-tumble USHL.

Gaudreau is another interesting player with Boston/New England ties. He's another small winger, but the Philly native has some scoring chops (18 goals, 42 points in 13 high school games at Gloucester Catholic), and is committed to Northeastern University and expected to arrive in the fall of 2011 after spending a year with the USHL's Dubuque Fighting Saints. His dad, Guy, played for and captained Norwich University from 1976-80 and is in the school's athletic hall of fame. Gaudreau's explosiveness and playing style evoke comparisons to Brian Gionta.
http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot...ohn%20Gaudreau

Last edited by kekkone; 06-25-2011 at 11:30 AM.
kekkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #44
dbqsaints
Draft Pick

Default Rest assured

I am a fan of Dubuque Fighting saints for the USHL, Top Jr. hockey tier in the USA. John was on our team last year so let me assure you that he makes up for his by scoring what he lacks in size. He is very skilled with puck up close and on wrap arounds. He needs some more muscle on his slap shot but has a decent wrist shot up close.
He is very quick and was dubbed the slippery sniper here in DBQ. Believe it or not he can take a hit, during the playoffs against Green bay, they were chanting hit the midget, meaning John and they did. He is a heads up player (has to be due to his size) and usually just ducks the goons, but he gets right back up when he does get hit. He isn't afraid to check either though he would bounce off most times. He is only 17 ( I believe) and we would love to have him back for another year depending on whether he goes to Northeastern (with their coach leaving), next year. He is one the main reasons we one the National Championship this past year.

DBQ Saints Fan
dbqsaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #45
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbqsaints View Post
I am a fan of Dubuque Fighting saints for the USHL, Top Jr. hockey tier in the USA. John was on our team last year so let me assure you that he makes up for his by scoring what he lacks in size. He is very skilled with puck up close and on wrap arounds. He needs some more muscle on his slap shot but has a decent wrist shot up close.
He is very quick and was dubbed the slippery sniper here in DBQ. Believe it or not he can take a hit, during the playoffs against Green bay, they were chanting hit the midget, meaning John and they did. He is a heads up player (has to be due to his size) and usually just ducks the goons, but he gets right back up when he does get hit. He isn't afraid to check either though he would bounce off most times. He is only 17 ( I believe) and we would love to have him back for another year depending on whether he goes to Northeastern (with their coach leaving), next year. He is one the main reasons we one the National Championship this past year.

DBQ Saints Fan
Thanks alot for this. Would you mind commenting on what maybe his NHL translation would be? Maybe a Mike Cammalleri type-sniper, but only not as built? What's his upside?
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #46
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys should check out the Jim Montgomery (his coach) interview on Fan 960.

The guy is pretty sure Gaudreau will play, raves about him.

Pretty excited about this kid, but know that it's going to take a while for him to make it to the NHL as he's going to have to put on a lot weight.
kn
Old 06-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #47
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

DBQ Saints Fan
If he's only 17, any chance he still grows a few more inches?

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #48
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
If he's only 17, any chance he still grows a few more inches?
All men stop growing in height in their early 20's, so yes, I would imagine he could still grow a couple of inches yet. He'll still be pretty damn small though.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #49
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think we drafted a Jonas Brother:

the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the-rasta-masta For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #50
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Unfortunately, this doesn't fill me with much hope. He sounds a lot like a smaller Nigel Dawes (Which, if he becomes Dawes, is great. That'd be a steal at this point in the draft). Additionally concerning is how you keep enforcing the notion of him being good in close. At 137 lb, it's not likely he'll get that close unless he's got Lombardi-esc speed.

Thanks for the insight on him though. It's great to hears more sides on our draft picks

Last edited by kirant; 06-25-2011 at 02:09 PM.
kirant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #51
Franchise Player

Exp:

KId is on the radio now.

He even sounds like he's 14...hahahaha....
Old 06-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #52
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

He said he's 5'8 not 5'6 soooo YAY!
Old 06-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #53
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think Feaster wants all these little guys to combine into a Voltron-esque player when needed.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #54
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post

If he makes the team, people will confuse him with the Scotiabank Skater.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #55
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sick highlight reel of Gaudreau goals in practice. I hope he can make moves like this in game situations.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #56
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post

He's adorable.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #57
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Keep the short jokes coming guys
Old 06-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #58
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Keep the short jokes coming guys
Have you heard that Gaudreau is short?
Old 06-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #59
dbqsaints
Draft Pick

Default Hard to say who he is like

He's got a little Gretzky in him behind the net (no pun intended).
Other than that he's his own player.

Here he is the second guy in red n white #8, to shoot for DBQ in the shoot out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG-8XEtsEfE

Theres a few goals by him in this highlite vid, #8, watch towards the end, he gets a wrap around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wng1MCWfgls

Here is one to get an ideal of his skating
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tml7YKH8d5o

His Bio from last year, this was from the previous year, he will be turning 18 this year.
John Gaudreau F 5'9 148 L 8/13/1993 Carney's Point, NJ Team Comcast U-18
Old 06-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #60
dbqsaints
Draft Pick

Default Of course

When you show him standing next to Ogie Oglethorpe, ya he looks small.
The Following User Says Thank You to dbqsaints For This Useful Post: