If he does suffer the "sophomore slump" I'm blaming the tattoos
Old 09-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #1362
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
If he does suffer the "sophomore slump" I'm blaming the tattoos

If McGrattan tells you to get a tattoo, then you get the damn tattoo!
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #1363
BlackWallStreet
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Little off topic but if anyone missed the mcgrattan interview on the fan, he talks about monahan for a bit, how everybody felt the change when gio took over, and goes on about how close the club is. Pretty good interview

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-m...udio-w-boomer/
BlackWallStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlackWallStreet For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2014, 11:23 AM   #1364
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
One of the things I'm most interested in is to see how Monahan progresses in his 2nd year. A sophomore slump isn't out of the question but I will say this guy is wired different than a lot of kids. He seems more mature and focused than your typical 20 year old and I feel he probably put a lot of work in this summer to improve his game. Would be nice if he could hit about 25 goals and polish up his play without the puck but even if he regresses a bit I feel he's going to be a good player for this organization.
I think that a sophomore slump is not necessarily a regression in development. The slump is characterized by a decrease in points. A lot of the time that decrease in points can be attributed to increased responsibility on the team and added pressure from the defence.

That being said, I expect a sophomore slump from Monahan. He is poised to be a 20 year old second line centre on this team. More attention from the defence should reduce his point totals this year, even though I fully expect him to be a better hockey player than he was last year.

Basically, I am saying that I agree with you, he will be a great player for this organization even if he scores less points in 2014-2015 than he did in 2013-2014.
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #1365
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I too want to see a little bit more physicality from Monahan this year. He played a very passive game for long stretches last year; when he had his hot streak to wrap up the season, he was more assertive. As he gets used to his body and tougher minutes, I expect we'll see him make necessary improvements.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #1366
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm assuming since he's bulked up a little he may play a little more physical of a game, not dishing out huge hits or anything but getting involved al little more. I think he'll have a better 2 way game overall.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #1367
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I too want to see a little bit more physicality from Monahan this year. He played a very passive game for long stretches last year; when he had his hot streak to wrap up the season, he was more assertive. As he gets used to his body and tougher minutes, I expect we'll see him make necessary improvements.
Probably can attributed that as a young man finding his way in the NHL and then getting injured early in the season. Tentative with the phsyical play because he was gaining confidence, yet also worried about getting re-injured at the same time.

As was mentioned, since he has been working on his strength you can likely see him being more physically involved.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #1368
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He said straight up that he wasn't happy with his +/- rating last season. Wants to be a better 2-way player. I think he'll follow through. Hopefully the point totals don't take much of a hit in doing so.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:24 PM   #1369
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
He said straight up that he wasn't happy with his +/- rating last season. Wants to be a better 2-way player. I think he'll follow through. Hopefully the point totals don't take much of a hit in doing so.
He Had 34 points, and was -20 last season.
If he wants to be a better 2 way player, and devote more effort to his defensive play, I'd be totally fine with him ending the season with 20 points but being +2.

I'd rather have him outscore opponents by 2 points, even if he scores less overall, than be outscored by 20 points. It's far more beneficial to him to develop his game, and to the team if his defensive awareness develops.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #1370
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Yeah, as the season progressed we saw him add his physical game more often. In junior the guy was a total beast along the board and on the forecheck, we'll start seeing that more often in the NHL.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:46 PM   #1371
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bold prediction: Monahan scores 62 points this season.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #1372
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Bold prediction: Monahan scores 62 points this season.
If he does that, it probably means we have a winger who puts up 65+ points. It's not impossible, he would just need more help or to take a huge step forward in development. I just can't see Monahan leading the team in scoring yet. Really like the kid though, I honestly believe if he was on Colorado last year instead of MacKinnon, he would have put up 50+ points.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #1373
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
If he does that, it probably means we have a winger who puts up 65+ points. It's not impossible, he would just need more help or to take a huge step forward in development. I just can't see Monahan leading the team in scoring yet. Really like the kid though, I honestly believe if he was on Colorado last year instead of MacKinnon, he would have put up 50+ points.
*COUGH* gaudreau *COUGH*....
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2014, 11:07 PM   #1374
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man our boy looked great out there tonight even though he didn't get on the score sheet. Bigger, stronger, faster.

What I noticed is that a lot of the goals he scored last season were clutch - in the sense that they tied the game up or were game winning goals. Hope to see that more this season.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #1375
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Time to bump this thread. Thus far into the season for Monahan:

- 52GP: 17G - 17A, +/- 7,
- Only 4 PIM in 52 games
- 4 GWG's

What I really wanted to bump this thread for is his FO development.

Just behind Giroux and Bozak in FO attempts, Monahan is 3rd in the league with 1157 FO attempts. With those 1157 - (580 FOW, 577 FOL) = average of 50.1%.

And to think that a little more than halfway into the season, we actually have a center who is one of the 11 centers in the NHL with over 1,000 FO draws. Pretty remarkable for a 20 year old center. This is only his second year, he's only going to get better.

He has already surpassed his 1036 attempts from last year's season (13/14), only winning 46% of those draws (476 - 560).

You know that #1 center we've always been looking for? He's right here.

Last edited by ForeverFlameFan; 02-05-2015 at 09:56 AM.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #1376
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't know who to be more excited about Bennett or this guy. I love Monahan and couldn't be happier with his progress so far in his young career. I could see him being our captain at some point in his career.

And he is ahead of some players like Sydney Crosby, Ryan O'Reilly, Bryan Little, Henrik Sedin, Steven Stamkos, RNH, Nazem Kadri in FO%. That is a pretty good list of guys he has better stats than in the faceoff circle. He said he wanted to focus on his faceoff skills after last season, it was one of his weaknesses. I think he will only get better and I hope he becomes the go to guy to faceoff against all the top centres in the league, our shutdown guy that can win important faceoffs, be responsible defensively and still score clutch goals.

I agree with Flash, my favourite flame, probably the reason I bought a retro jersey with his name on it. Thank you Carolina for picking Lindholm.

Last edited by foshizzle11; 02-05-2015 at 10:13 AM. Reason: added some stuff
foshizzle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #1377
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
I don't know who to be more excited about Bennett or this guy. I love Monahan and couldn't be happier with his progress so far in his young career. I could see him being our captain at some point in his career.
If Bennett turns out as good or better than Monahan, and Poirier turns out to be a legit top 6 NHL'er, Calgary basically have their core forward group established for the next 6 years.

Monahan is this organization's anchor. My favourite flame.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #1378
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's still early, but very pleased that Carolina selected Elias Lindholm leaving Sean Monahan for the Flames.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #1379
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Poirier

Hudler - Backlund - Bennett

or something for awhile if both Bennett and Poirier pan out?
Old 02-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #1380
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looks like Backlund going down was the best thing for Monahan's development. Ends up playing more minutes against tougher opposition and just ran with it.

And at this rate, we'll be calling him Captain Clutch once Gio passes the torch over.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#23 , 2muchwhisky , 600 goals 1300 pts , kybb79 meltdown , love trolling , man with master plan , messiah